Minimum Puncture Pit Stop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skipper

Just wondering how long you take to repair a puncture en route?
Loosen brakes, upend bike, find tyre levers, off with the old tube, check tyre, on with the new tube, inflate, deflate and stash old tube in the bike bag, more air (pressure always seems to go down again after a minute or two), check bike over, and off we go again.
Always seems to take ten minutes minimum, even more if the weather/lighting is poor. That's about sixty times as long as a pro tour wheel change I figure.
Has anyone got a super-quick method they wish to share?

BSRU

A Human Being
Why do you up end the bike:wacko:.
Ten minutes is a normal amount of time for a tube change, in not raining and not too cold conditions.
The only time I have a quicker change is at home when I just swap to the backup wheel, advantage of having two sets of wheels for each bike.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Normally about 10 mins. I try to plan it into my commute.

However, once I had a puncture, took the wheel off, took the tube out, had a look at the tyre, and realised why I had a puncture. The tyre had worn right through. Clearly I had missed the tyre with it being on the back and under the panniers which meant that I neglected to look after it. All the threads were showing and I seriously didnt know how I was going to get home.
Luckily I had selotape with me so I created a make shift patch on the tyre and limped home. When I got there, I promptly threw the tyre in the bin and used my road bike for the commute to work for a few days.
That whole ordeal lasted about 45mins (30 mins of it involved crying and swearing).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
10 minutes seems about right. Though have got it down to 4 minutes.
No need to upend bike lest you damage the saddle and handlebars/shifters. Lay it down or lean against a wall gently.

Good tip is to put the gears onto the highest. Makes taking off and putting back wheel/chain easier.

Linford

I got one to do, but want to figure out what caused the last one....it will take as long as it takes.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Just out of interest I just let the air out of my back tire and went through the procedure as if I had a puncture.
Time 4 mins 39sec.
I think I can shave some seconds off this time with some practice.
However this was done at home in perfect conditions and just replacing the inner tube. Not repairing a puncture.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
I've done the front on a Brompton while on the train. Started as it left Northampton and was seated and drinking my coffee before the stop at Wolverton 12mins later. Inner swap only though. Saved the repair for lunchtime. Apart from time my film canister of white powder (talc in lieu of french chalk) might arouse suspicion in a public place......

Davidc

Guru
Haven't had to do it for a long time (but it'll certainly happen again), when it does it's 10 minutes with CO2 inflator help, but I don't usually have QR fitted.

Of course the tour people do it faster. They practice it hundreds of times, timing the operation and analysing how to do it faster. Experience, in their case, is the key. I'd rather not get too much of that thanks!

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Takes me about 10 minutes on average. Afraid I flick the bike upside down too having devised ways of avoiding damage over the years- sorry, I know it offends some, but frankly, it's just so much easier!
Whispers: Haven't had a p*ncture in over a year now though.

Best time on a commute for me was 7 minutes that was a front with C02 pump though. I always allow 10 extra minutes though in case, but it gives me a bit more time to get changed anyway

Top Bottom