Minimum Puncture Pit Stop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
No more than 10 minutes but that's coz I'm lazy. If I REALLY wanna take my sweet a55 time about it, maybe 20 minutes.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Just out of interest I just let the air out of my back tire and went through the procedure as if I had a puncture.
Time 4 mins 39sec.
I think I can shave some seconds off this time with some practice.
However this was done at home in perfect conditions and just replacing the inner tube. Not repairing a puncture.

Now try it again while you're running around in circles avoiding biting insects, one eye half closed and stinging due to the salty sweat running into it and the other eye totally closed due to the pain of rubbing sweat and chain oil into it. Make sure you're flapping one arm wildly trying to beat off the swarms yet still manage to knock out a few cheery "No, no, it's ok, I'm fine thanks" to passers by.

Training needs to be realistic to be effective.

Sara_H

Guru
Took me days last time I did one. Bloody thing was in the dining room for yonks, first I couldn't get the bloody tyres on, then the brakes were stuck and I didn't know what to do. I even cried, but OH said I had to learn to do it myself and refused to help me.

The next puncture after that I had to deal with (sons bike) got fixed with a can of slime.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Now try it again while you're running around in circles avoiding biting insects, one eye half closed and stinging due to the salty sweat running into it and the other eye totally closed due to the pain of rubbing sweat and chain oil into it. Make sure you're flapping one arm wildly trying to beat off the swarms yet still manage to knock out a few cheery "No, no, it's ok, I'm fine thanks" to passers by.

Training needs to be realistic to be effective.
Who said I was training? I was just having fun.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
10-15 minutes.
Try and do it quicker and you'll stand a good chance of missing finding what caused the puncture and get another one a mile or five down the road.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Takes me around 15 - 20 mins. A. I don't get much practise. B. I check the tyre several times for anything left in it. C. I'm careful with putting the tube back in, don't want to pinch it.

I should add this is on my commuter, with disc brakes and full length guards which make it tricky to get the wheel back in.

On the roadie it's a little less.

Wuster

Regular
As long as it takes to make shore the job is put to bed properly, i always take this in to account when leaving for work, (fail to pripair, pripair to fail.)

VamP

Banned
3-5 min for a tub. More like 10-15 min for a clincher.

Is that a sealant fix, or do you change the tub? If change, do you carry pre-glued or do you use tape?

Just curious, as I am enjoying my tubs so much I want to ride them all the time, but one day, I'm going to hit a puncture I can't fix with sealant.

About 5 mins using the replace the tube method. Am fortunate in that I don't really struggle to get the tyre bead back over the rim. Find there's always something I could do better each time. Still wouldn't class myself as an expert!

GrasB

Veteran
Is that a sealant fix, or do you change the tub? If change, do you carry pre-glued or do you use tape?

Just curious, as I am enjoying my tubs so much I want to ride them all the time, but one day, I'm going to hit a puncture I can't fix with sealant.
Change the tub.

I keep a tub that has been properly mounted at least once wrapped in cling film. So I rip the old one off & then mount the new one & get it up to pressure. As long as you use a tub that's been properly glued once there's enough tac on the glue to keep the tyre on the rim as long as don't star trying to really throw the bike about. It's good enough for TTing but I'd not want to go road racing on the tyre.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Run over sharp object, tyre punctures. Ride bike some more, sealant seals hole. Keep pedalling. Maybe notice later.

Last time I looked closely at the back wheel I found thirteen punctures all neatly sealed. Yay. Thanks Stan.

Top Bottom