Miss Pronouncy Nation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Except when pronouncing 'proNUNciation'.

I'm not sure it's correct to make the NUN capital either though :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Welsh is a great language though. I was brought up there and went to a Welsh speaking school so my proNUNciation is spot on, in spite of the southern accent I've aquired. Going back is amazing, because you go to the valleys and...well...you know *Welsh people only speak Welsh to each other when there's English people around* and I'm all clued in on that so I like to stun them by dipping in and out of it, mixing both lanuages together. Faces drop. Sooooooo much fun. Love Wales :smile:

*Massive generalisation...though holds truth to a massive degree.
My experience is somewhat different.... last month I went into a petrol station shop on the fringes of the North Wallian Welsh-language heartland. As soon as the two lads in there heard me speak English, and they could not have had a clue I could understand much of their Welsh, they continued their conversation in English.

Back in the day, when I was reasonable fluent as a speaker of the West Wallian dialect, though largely illiterate I'll admit, only once or twice did I discover that I was the subject of a Welsh language conversation. Most memorably in a pub. Where I'd gone with my boss who has assured me it was ok to speak english so long as I kept my voice down. I simply asked the two old boys discussing my presence at their cultural night if they'd watched the match on telly and what they though of Llanelli's disallowed try? One choked on his beer. The other bought me a pint and provided translation services for the rest of the evening, when the poetry and prose readings I'd gone to listen to went beyond my comprehension. I still sing Welsh folk songs when out on my bike or when running.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
My experience is somewhat different.... last month I went into a petrol station shop on the fringes of the North Wallian Welsh-language heartland. As soon as the two lads in there heard me speak English, and they could not have had a clue I could understand much of their Welsh, they continued their conversation in English.

Back in the day, when I was reasonable fluent as a speaker of the West Wallian dialect, though largely illiterate I'll admit, only once or twice did I discover that I was the subject of a Welsh language conversation. Most memorably in a pub. Where I'd gone with my boss who has assured me it was ok to speak english so long as I kept my voice down. I simply asked the two old boys discussing my presence at their cultural night if they'd watched the match on telly and what they though of Llanelli's disallowed try? One choked on his beer. The other bought me a pint and provided translation services for the rest of the evening, when the poetry and prose readings I'd gone to listen to went beyond my comprehension. I still sing Welsh folk songs when out on my bike or when running.

Ah yes...terribly facetious of me but it depends where you go really. My mum was a chiropdist in Mid Wales until a few years ago and one of the very few who were trained to treat diabetic patients so, as a result, she found herself hopping all over the country doing private and NHS work. I used to enjoy having to travel around with her all over the place and found myself in all sorts of situations, wandering the villages and towns while I waited for her. I was always very shy as well and, being from a near border town, my accent wasn't the Welshest of the Welsh, so when I did speak I sounded more Shropshire than Welsh. Ohhhhh, how they teased. When I go back to see her these days, I still like to go for a wander and find the same sort of thing, though to a lesser extent. Mostly the older generation to be honest and it's usually only a giggle, sometimes very flattering. Lovely people when you get into a chat though and I generally find Wales to be a much friendlier place than England. It's like anywhere you go in the world though. Some locals don't like an English accent.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ah yes...terribly facetious of me but it depends where you go really. My mum was a chiropdist in Mid Wales until a few years ago and one of the very few who were trained to treat diabetic patients so, as a result, she found herself hopping all over the country doing private and NHS work. I used to enjoy having to travel around with her all over the place and found myself in all sorts of situations, wandering the villages and towns while I waited for her. I was always very shy as well and, being from a near border town, my accent wasn't the Welshest of the Welsh, so when I did speak I sounded more Shropshire than Welsh. Ohhhhh, how they teased. When I go back to see her these days, I still like to go for a wander and find the same sort of thing, though to a lesser extent. Mostly the older generation to be honest and it's usually only a giggle, sometimes very flattering. Lovely people when you get into a chat though and I generally find Wales to be a much friendlier place than England. It's like anywhere you go in the world though. Some locals don't like an English accent.
Thread derail. The mods will be down on us.

Which art of Mid-Wales? I hang around Llanidloes quite a bit, have done for the last 35 years.

As to accents; I think it depends very much on what part of England your accent says you are from. I think Hurrah Henry types and folks with West Midlands accents bomb all over Mid-Wales.....

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Thread derail. The mods will be down on us.

Which art of Mid-Wales? I hang around Llanidloes quite a bit, have done for the last 35 years.

As to accents; I think it depends very much on what part of England your accent says you are from. I think Hurrah Henry types and folks with West Midlands accents bomb all over Mid-Wales.....

Ha, ha, that they will!

Newtown...so I know all about Llani...spent many a fancy dress trying to keep my guts inside of me. I was last there a couple of years ago...my mum...she's into her Rykee these days and is a trained healer, so she was after some crystals from Earthlight and then we went for a pub lunch...also managed to get a beautiful chess board from the market and spent ages looking at some tools...both my grandads were farmers, so I get a bit of nostalgia about these things - beautiful summers day, it was :smile:

Yes, spot on with that! Most of Newtown is exactly that though...or was when I was growing up...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ha, ha, that they will!

Newtown...so I know all about Llani...spent many a fancy dress trying to keep my guts inside of me. I was last there a couple of years ago...my mum...she's into her Rykee these days and is a trained healer, so she was after some crystals from Earthlight and then we went for a pub lunch...also managed to get a beautiful chess board from the market and spent ages looking at some tools...both my grandads were farmers, so I get a bit of nostalgia about these things - beautiful summers day, it was :smile:

Yes, spot on with that! Most of Newtown is exactly that though...or was when I was growing up...
We are spiritual neighbours... Cheap Charlies, the decline of Byrce Jones, Hippy shoot from Ian Snow and the wonderful old-school WH Smith. Was there last month. some of the best cycling in the UK in those parts. So long as you like hills. Father-in-law and his parents are buried in Llangurig Churchyard.

If you go back anytime soon try The Great Oak Cafe - amazeballs veggie food, and The Old Mill pub, amazeballs real beer and decor.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
We are spiritual neighbours... Cheap Charlies, the decline of Byrce Jones, Hippy shoot from Ian Snow and the wonderful old-school WH Smith. Was there last month. some of the best cycling in the UK in those parts. So long as you like hills. Father-in-law and his parents are buried in Llangurig Churchyard.

If you go back anytime soon try The Great Oak Cafe - amazeballs veggie food, and The Old Mill pub, amazeballs real beer and decor.

Ah excellent...yes, the Cheap Charlies empire goes from stength to strength as the rest of the world declines - I remember when that was just a tiny shop in Market Street, opposite Kwai Chin...which is the very best chinese take away in all of the world! My sister used to love that Ian Snow shop as well and as for the Smiths...you have to love it...just the smell of the place :smile:

Will do...live in Croydon now which, in hindsight, was a very silly thing to do. I'm going back in May though as my sister's getting married and I'll be giving her away, so would be a shame not to spend a few days there...can hopefully get the kids down to Aberdyfi or Borth for a day at the beach that way and have a potter around. Be a shame not to hook up with old friends...best friends...never be replaced friends...for a few beers by the river. Sportsman stock local ale these days :smile: ...though I have been off the sauce for a fare old while...maybe an exception...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Visited friends of friends in Anglesey once, and having assumed along with most of the world that the Welsh language existed in truth only in some outflung scraps of the BBC's right-on output (ignored by all), I was amazed to find groups of lanky teenagers hanging around outside the chippy, as such creatures do, chatting away amongst themselves, as such creatures do, but in a foreign language! And we hadn't even been on a plane or anything. Weird.

MisterStan

Label Required
Visited friends of friends in Anglesey once, and having assumed along with most of the world that the Welsh language existed in truth only in some outflung scraps of the BBC's right-on output (ignored by all), I was amazed to find groups of lanky teenagers hanging around outside the chippy, as such creatures do, chatting away amongst themselves, as such creatures do, but in a foreign language! And we hadn't even been on a plane or anything. Weird.
I find it's quite similar in Glasgow.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ah excellent...yes, the Cheap Charlies empire goes from stength to strength as the rest of the world declines - I remember when that was just a tiny shop in Market Street, opposite Kwai Chin...which is the very best chinese take away in all of the world! My sister used to love that Ian Snow shop as well and as for the Smiths...you have to love it...just the smell of the place :smile:

Will do...live in Croydon now which, in hindsight, was a very silly thing to do. I'm going back in May though as my sister's getting married and I'll be giving her away, so would be a shame not to spend a few days there...can hopefully get the kids down to Aberdyfi or Borth for a day at the beach that way and have a potter around. Be a shame not to hook up with old friends...best friends...never be replaced friends...for a few beers by the river. Sportsman stock local ale these days :smile: ...though I have been off the sauce for a fare old while...maybe an exception...
Aberdovey is currently top of the list as a place to retire to. One day. Maybe.

Top Bottom