Miss Pronouncy Nation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes! It's very expensive to buy there though - 2 bed flat - £225000. I know one of the cafe owners (Popeyes) and last time I was there she was trying to sell her flat. It's still up for sale now though - just can't find the buyers.
Lolz. The buyers are willing to do business if the price is right. Owners always think their sea view is worth 2 x more than a buyer does.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Lolz. The buyers are willing to do business if the price is right. Owners always think their sea view is worth 2 x more than a buyer does.

Too true, yep, too true...probably doesn't help that it's above a cafe either..dangerous commercial property = hard to find a lender.

OP
OP
Cyclist33

Cyclist33

I'd go for Shvalbuh: even though it is an 'e' sound at the end we don't have any way of representing that sound actually using an e at the end of a word in fnetix..

There's a point where it really seems pointless in using the original pronunciation. I had a Citroën - with an Oh-Enn at the end - which became a Citron again after I picked it up from the Citron garage. They'd serviced the spelling for free.

And I still don't know how to pronounce Topeak, because people say it differently. tuh-PEAK, to-PEAK, TOP-eek. When my pump dies I've thought about going for a Lezyne. But is it LezEEN or LezINE...?

Here's a little curiosity: if you ask someone how the word ''of'' is pronounced, they'll say ''ov''. But after telling you it's ''ov'' they'll then go on to pronounce it invariably as ''uv'' in speech.

"Shvalba" is fine. Pronunciounciated as in "Hinton Parva" or "Canford Magna". Or "Magna Carta".

perplexed

Guru
No but I'll have a cuppercino (as my MIL would say)

I'll see your cuppercino and raise you a 'lhaaaaartay', to go with your 'panini'. Panini is plural. It's 'panino' for one.

Can I 'get' a lhaaaaartay' please. Gawd...

There was a councillor being interviewed on Look North a few months ago. I've no idea what she was on about because I was completely distracted by the fact she insisted on calling Doncaster 'Donk-ster'. I wanted to put my foot through the telly.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The one that gets me is kilOmetres, we have kilograms and kilocycles without the emphasis on the O, so why emphasise the O in kilometres?
I like the antipodean practise of calling them 'k's': 'it's about 100 kays up the road, mate.'

Top Bottom