More expensive jerseys - are they worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Hi

I have several short sleeve jerseys, which cost anywhere between £8 and £20 each. I was just wondering if there is really going to be much of a difference between a cheap jersey and a more expensive jersey which may cost £50.

Or is is just a brand thing?

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
The materials for the more expensive kit would be more breathable, but at this time of year the UV rays are also a factor. The more expensive kit might arguably last longer and have better pockets and features.

Here's a handy guide on kit
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/buyers-guide-summer-cycling-clothing-175176

Hi

I have several short sleeve jerseys, which cost anywhere between £8 and £20 each. I was just wondering if there is really going to be much of a difference between a cheap jersey and a more expensive jersey which may cost £50.

Or is is just a brand thing?
I often thought there would be naff all in it. There is more to it than branding though. My cheapo Aldi / Lidl jerseys etc, do the job, but my Castelli suits and my Pearl Izumi gear, do it better / and more comfortably. It's down to better choice of materials / technology of the materials, in terms of heat regulation / sweat wicking ability, and just all round fit and finish. So to answer the question, there is a world of difference between cheap kit, and pricier kit.

I was of the same opinion as the op, but having bought some Torm jerseys, I wouldn't go back to standard stuff. its all about the features and fit for me and I am lucky enough that the torm jerseys fit me perfectly. they also look good (maybe not on me) but the styling is exactly what I look for.

you pays your money and takes your choice.

The materials for the more expensive kit would be more breathable, but at this time of year the UV rays are also a factor. The more expensive kit might arguably last longer and have better pockets and features.

Here's a handy guide on kit
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/buyers-guide-summer-cycling-clothing-175176

Thanks for the link but that's probably the shallowest piece of writing disguised as a "guide" I've read in a long time. It says nothing.

I would have liked to see them compare polyester to polypropylene, for instance. Although it mentions UV protection , the advice that a net is less protective than a fabric, is hardly not common sense. Again, it would have been nice have some advice on how some fabrics and/or colours provide more protection than others and how things like weave density is measured and gauged by the consumer.

Anyway, nowadays all seem to be made from polyester, a very stinky material. Fabrics like Thermavent which were half cotton half polyester (cotton below, polyester above) seems to have disappeared. Pity that.

The only difference I see nowadays between expensive and cheaper jerseys is in manufacturing quality, not fabric properties. Nicer seams, hidden zips, secret pockets, great prints etc, are worth paying for, but choice of fabric is gone, unless you can afford Rapha.

I have a few decathlon tops for £10, then I recently bought a Castelli Garmin Team jersey, (as it was on offer for £25). To be honest, the castelli is a lot nicer to wear, it's much more comfortable.

Is it needed? Not really, I would probably pay the same again for one, but there's no chance I'd ever pay the usual £50+ they ask for a jersey.

bpsmith

Veteran
I would rather have a legitimate jersey to a counterfeit one from China, personally.

I would rather have a cheaper branded jersey than have a counterfeit too.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I got a De Marchi "Contour Plus" jersey for commuting, and have loved it. I've used it for commuting every day for a few years, and it's comfortable and fits well.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was browsing around jerseys this week. I put a filter on for Mountain Bike, as MTB gear tends to be a looser cut and a bit more to my taste. Anyway, I came across this: Assos SS.rallytrekkingjersey for £254.99 :eek: You're avin a giraffe.

outlash

also available in orange
Some cost more down to the materials involved. When you start looking at sportwool jerseys (Merino/polyester mix) or pure wool jerseys, the price goes up accordingly. There's also the quality of the materials, the cost and quality of the construction and the fit too. To get that road bike 'fit' takes no short of research into sizing, unless it's a co-incidence that my more expensive jerseys fit better than the cheaper ones.

Again, it would have been nice have some advice on how some fabrics and/or colours provide more protection than others

I'm intrigued, how do colours provide more protection than others?

Top Bottom