more useless than the wasp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
TheClaud has eloquently called in to question the wasp's raison d'etre. And Paul Narramore has unwittingly called to mind the cycling equivalent of the wasp - the Brooks saddle. But what other being, bit of stuff or event fails the use/ornament test?

I give you

Oyster mushrooms.
Bicester
Clarkson
Privet
The DfT
Family christmas
Hilaire Belloc

take it away............

jonesy

Guru
You are unfair to the poor wasp, which performs a sterling service eating its way through thousands of garden pests. I admit I struggle with the others, though Bicester may soon provide a railway connection for Oxford to the Chiltern line (Bicester not really being a destination in itself...)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ohhhh.... [hackles raised mode/]

Sorry dellzeqq, but Brooks are a National treasure in my book, Privit is the hedgerow the Victorian terraces of my youth and nothing else evokes playing cowboy's and indians in the street and building dens, hide and seek as much as Privet, Hillaire Belloc taught me to be good and contemplate verse, so a good thing IMO.

Family Christmas depends on whose family...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
TheClaud has eloquently called in to question the wasp's raison d'etre. And Paul Narramore has unwittingly called to mind the cycling equivalent of the wasp - the Brooks saddle. But what other being, bit of stuff or event fails the use/ornament test?

I give you

Oyster mushrooms.
Bicester
Clarkson
Privet
The DfT
Family christmas
Hilaire Belloc

take it away............

I'm with you on most of these, but it wasn't me - I have been a stout defender of the point of wasps. Not a popular position to take. But you've really blown it if Ruth reads this - as if she's not furious enough with you about mudguards and racks - and now the Brooks! MacBludgeon's fantasies of your violent end will be as nothing in comparison...

wafflycat

Oi! I like privet. I have a stretch of privet hedge. I like it. Easy to look after, easy to trim, excellent privacy & windbreak, plus food for these beautiful creatures as well as for birds.

Privet%20Hawk-moth%20-%20Sphinx%20ligustri.JPG

On the other hand, I see no logical rationale for the following:-

Clarkson
Martin
Cycle farcilities
SunnyD
Pot Noodle
Tomato juice
aubergines
tofu
rice milk
puy lentils
rollmop herrings
Simon Cowell
Gordon Brown
Tony Blair
John Redwood
Nick Griffin (and any other neo-Nazi twerp supporting the BNP)
Eccles cakes

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
wafflycat said:

Clarkson
Martin
Cycle farcilities
SunnyD
Pot Noodle
Tomato juice
aubergines
tofu
rice milk
puy lentils
rollmop herrings
Simon Cowell
Gordon Brown
Tony Blair
John Redwood
Eccles cakes

You must be joking - The Eccles cake is a wonder to behold - nice to scoff too with a cup of tea!! :stop:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Dawn Porter
Spaghetti Servers - those crenellated spoony things. WTF?
Sun-dried tomatoes
Adshels
Winnersh

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
wafflycat said:
Oi! I like privet. I have a stretch of privet hedge. I like it. Easy to look after, easy to trim, excellent privacy & windbreak, plus food for these beautiful creatures as well as for birds.

Clarkson
Martin
Cycle farcilities
SunnyD
Pot Noodle
Tomato juice
aubergines
tofu
rice milk
puy lentils
rollmop herrings
Simon Cowell
Gordon Brown
Tony Blair
John Redwood
Eccles cakes

:stop:
My second will be calling on you forthwith!!!!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
wafflycat said:

Clarkson
Martin
Cycle farcilities
SunnyD
Pot Noodle
Tomato juice
aubergines
tofu
rice milk
puy lentils
rollmop herrings
Simon Cowell
Gordon Brown
Tony Blair
John Redwood
Eccles cakes

I love hawk moths, but the smell of privet is nauseating - you can have a delightful fragrance, and Elephant Hawk Moths instead if you replace it with honeysuckle.

And I must stick up for the glorious puy lentil, as well as the aubergine and the rollmop. But in a nice tie-in with Uncle Mort's nominations, it might have been Nigel Slater who noted that it's not surprising the British don't like aubergines - they probably tried to boil them. And as for Tomato Juice, how on earth are you going to make a Bloody Mary without it?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
theclaud said:
I love hawk moths, but the smell of privet is nauseating - you can have a delightful fragrance, and Elephant Hawk Moths instead if you replace it with honeysuckle.

And I must stick up for the glorious puy lentil, as well as the aubergine and the rollmop. But in a nice tie-in with Uncle Mort's nominations, it might have been Nigel Slater who noted that it's not surprising the British don't like aubergines - they probably tried to boil them. And as for Tomato Juice, how on earth are you going to make a Bloody Mary without it?

Waste of vodka IMHO.
And Worcester sauce, for that matter.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
TheDoctor said:
Waste of vodka IMHO.
And Worcester sauce, for that matter.

Blimey. Heretics everywhere. Well, I drink gallons of tomato juice and mix a mean Bloody Mary (the dry sherry is the thing), and I there's little doubt that I will live for ever as a result. So there you have it!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Anyway, more useless stuff. Muffins. The horrible oily sort they put blueberries or chocolate chips in, not the thing at the bottom of eggs benedict.
And, whilst we're on hedging, it's a predictable one - Leyland Cypress.

Top Bottom