More weight - % fat questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got back from a 2 week cruise round the med, and was determined not to regain any of the weight ive lost whilst we were on holiday. The ship had a fully equiped gym and spinning classes about 6 mornings of the 2 week voyage, so I was able to 'keep my eye in' with the prospect of my new Surosa arriving tomorrow.

I try not to worry about the weight following advice on a previous thread, but I cant help it!

Anyway, got in the door - stripped off and.... i'd put on 4lb ...... :sad:

but, i'd lost 4% body fat according to the scales I use. Have I put on muscle or what? I was pretty peeved initialy given the effort i've put in, but a 4% loss of fat made me feel better - i'm now down to 30% from 42%

So now i'm trying to stop using weight as my guide line, but whats a good % fat loss to aim for over a week / month for a nearly 50yr old 5'10'' bloke whos used to aiming for a 3 to 4 lb weight loss as my weekly target? Cheers, Neil.

Alun

Guru
Unfortunately the fat percentage on bathroom scales is not very accurate, if you wet your feet and try again you'll get a different reading. A 2 week cruise is likely to increase your fat percentage I'm afraid!

As I understand, calipers are the best way to measure changes in fat (assuming you haven't go a floatation tank at home!) - if you really want figures then buy a pair.

Hence it might be better, over a reasonable time period, looking at your body and how much you can "pinch" in various places.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Neil,
Good luck with the weight loss, 3-4 lb per week will get tougher as you slim down though, might be wise to review the targets as you go or change the metrics as ColinJ suggests.

According to our scales I pee fat. If I get on before and after having a pee first thing on a morning I lose a 1lb and 1% fat !

After an 18 mile run I lose 2% fat and 5lb in weight. So these things are not that clever.

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
Thanks folks - looks like i'm going down the measuring tape route, though i'll probably weigh myself weekly as well. Its a pretty amazing forum, and I really think the advice given (to all) is pretty bloody fantastic. Cheers fellas

endoman

Just see how clothes fit. Today was the first time I have worn my Lidl cycling jacket in about a month, it's now huge on me having been very snug when I bought it. That's all the encouragement I need.

Not allowing myself any more cycling clothes until another stone is gone, recent bib shorts and jersey are very snug so have a stones loss built in!

Tyres23

I didn't realise how small cycling stuff was ordered all kit and is rather snug so I got proper fitting next size up now have the target of shrinking in to what I paid for!!!

Top Bottom