More "welcoming" (or not) lockdown signs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
How do you know it was the cafe owner who put it up and not a neighbour?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Country villages are inhabited mostly by retired folk who are rightfully afraid of catching CV but like the rest of us, not sure exactly how the virus is transmitted. Before CV there was friction when groups of cyclists passed through villages shouting to each other as sudden loud voices are disturbing to timorous old folk in quiet sleepy places.

So it's no surprise that elderly residents become fearful when the frightening spectre of Corona comes visiting in the form of sweating, spitting shouty men roaming around the countryside. I say that as one of those roaming men; I've already encountered the fear when I stopped at a T junction and an elderly walker seemed to be pacing agitatedly up and down the road in front of me. When I asked her if she had lost something she replied "No I'm just trying to avoid you!" I replied that we were about twenty five feet apart, I was downwind of her and I had been stuck in my house for five weeks so I didn't think she needed to worry and eventually she took courage and scuttled past me on the other side of the road with a scowl on her face.

Edit: I've just nipped over to Singletrack and there's a thread going there about roadies beginning to meet up for group rides again, some even wearing club jerseys.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Edit: I've just nipped over to Singletrack and there's a thread going there about roadies beginning to meet up for group rides again, some even wearing club jerseys.

For balance I have seen some of the MTB community meeting up for group rides also.

I also saw a cheeky meet on the TPT a few days ago. 3 guys, maybe 60 year olds, stood in a triangle about 3 meters apart from each other all dressed up in proper cycling attire with their bikes. As I approached they all crossed there arms as if to hide something. Coincidence that they saw each other, with a few tinnies and a pint pot each :rolleyes:

OP
OP
BorderReiver

BorderReiver

Veteran
How do you know it was the cafe owner who put it up and not a neighbour?

I don't. But the sign has been up outside the cafe for well over a week. If I ran a cafe and a sign like that appeared outside I would make sure it came down pretty quickly. I can only conclude that if the cafe owner didn't put the sign up they do agree with the sentiment.

Jody

Stubborn git
I'm sure we need a couple of good photo shoppers to recreate the sign and re post it here ! ^_^

OP
OP
BorderReiver

BorderReiver

Veteran
Why bother getting excited about this?

In more normal times there are similar examples. Just stick to the public highway and keep pedalling.

Take note of signs and respect the wish of local residents. This really is not an issue.

The point is they are singling out cyclists, who they do not want to stop in "their" village. If the sign just said, "Plague carriers: please do not stop here" I would just shrug, shake my head in wonder and ride on. At what point does it become okay for the local residents to decide who stops on public land in their village, now or in more normal times? Suppose the sign said, "Blacks and Asians do not stop" on the equally logical(!) basis that these two groups appear to be worse affected by the virus. Or Chinese, since the virus originated in China? Would that still not be an issue? Somebody obviously just doesn't like cyclists and bigotry like that will not go away with the virus.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh okay - we've encountered a few rude cafe or pub owners who just seemed to hate everybody and who festooned their premises with signs telling you NOT to do anything.

- The owner of Rumbletums cafe in Ramsbottom who wouldn't give my child a glass of tap water, whining about water rates. We walked out.
- The tenant a few years ago at the old Post Office cafe in Downham.
- The tenant until a year or two ago at Puddleducks cafe in Dunsop Bridge.
- The owner or tenant of the pub at the Ribblehead viaduct - nutty as a fruit cake.

It's seems to be a middle-aged men's problem. At least postmasters have a genuine reason to be bad-tempered, with the way many of them were treated by the PO over the disastrous IT debacle.

screenman

Legendary Member
Country villages are inhabited mostly by retired folk who are rightfully afraid of catching CV but like the rest of us, not sure exactly how the virus is transmitted. Before CV there was friction when groups of cyclists passed through villages shouting to each other as sudden loud voices are disturbing to timorous old folk in quiet sleepy places.

So it's no surprise that elderly residents become fearful when the frightening spectre of Corona comes visiting in the form of sweating, spitting shouty men roaming around the countryside. I say that as one of those roaming men; I've already encountered the fear when I stopped at a T junction and an elderly walker seemed to be pacing agitatedly up and down the road in front of me. When I asked her if she had lost something she replied "No I'm just trying to avoid you!" I replied that we were about twenty five feet apart, I was downwind of her and I had been stuck in my house for five weeks so I didn't think she needed to worry and eventually she took courage and scuttled past me on the other side of the road with a scowl on her face.

Only 20% of the rural village I live in are over 60.

Top Bottom