More "welcoming" (or not) lockdown signs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I guess cycling crowds are as fickle as pubbing and clubbing crowds. A new bar opened in the town of Clitheroe and for a while it was THE place to go especially as, in the language of Sid the Sexist, it always seemed to be "heavin' wi' blart". Trains from Manchester Victoria were so jam-packed on a Friday or Saturday that the poor harassed guards seldom collected more than a few fares.

dodgy

I remember the Priory at Scorton was THE place to call in to when riding in the area, I used to always drop in on my twice yearly ride from Wirral to Grasmere as it was almost half way. One year I called in and there were no bikes outside at all, normally heaving. Change of management and attitude apparently. Crazy.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I guess cycling crowds are as fickle as pubbing and clubbing crowds. A new bar opened in the town of Clitheroe and for a while it was THE place to go especially as, in the language of Sid the Sexist, it always seemed to be "heavin' wi' blart". Trains from Manchester Victoria were so jam-packed on a Friday or Saturday that the poor harassed guards seldom collected more than a few fares.
Sid the Sexist would have got a lot of mileage out of the first four letters of the town name alone.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Used that cafe several times on the Spring into the Dales audax, and similar route rides.

Was never that impressed tbh, and probably won't bother again.

Adam4868

Guru
I remember the Priory at Scorton was THE place to call in to when riding in the area, I used to always drop in on my twice yearly ride from Wirral to Grasmere as it was almost half way. One year I called in and there were no bikes outside at all, normally heaving. Change of management and attitude apparently. Crazy.
Pretty empty most times now I seem to remember years ago they complained about cyclists.Then cyclist moved over the road to the Barn which has boomed.I think it's overpriced now though.I do like the Applestore just up the hill from there though.Fickle bunch !

Moodyman

Legendary Member
That cafe is along a very popular cycling route and gets hefty business from cyclists at the weekend and during the week. I doubt the sign is intentionally hostile to cyclists.

It's most likely typical Yorkshire speak. Straightforward and telling riders not to stop as they're not open.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
The point is they are singling out cyclists, who they do not want to stop in "their" village.

I don't think cyclists have been singled out. This cafe is in the middle of nowhere. Its trade comes from tourists (usually walkers) or cyclists.

As tourism is currently banned, cycling is the only permissable activity in the area. As the cafe is shut, they're most probably telling them to keep pedalling to avoid crowds.

I know the area well and some folk can be... what is locally known as... 'Yorkshire rude'. A little coarse but well intentioned.

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
Remember the time we had foot and mouth ?No access on paths or land, signs everywhere. Now they close the car parks off with locked barriers to keep drivers out of beauty spots but we are free to roam for exercise.People get scared and can be ar#es. Stay informed about your rights and if they don't want you there remember it and go else where with your money and cheer it will be their loss of a nice person :hello:

Globalti

Legendary Member

The Priory was the tacky-looking white place with black beams wasn't it? I thought it had a bad reputation for bike theft? The problem was that cyclists would leave their bikes all around the area and go inside to order. Organised theft was happening and a white Transit van can be on the A6 or the M6 within a few minutes. I've only visited The Barn once but I seem to remember it's in an enclosed yard so much riskier for someone to stroll in and steal bikes.

And yes The Apple Store just up the hill is nice, the staff lovely and it serves excellent food. You can access it by a short gravel ride from the circuit of the Trough and Bleasdale.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
So you've never been standing by the side of a road then, when a roadie, or group of them, come past huffing and puffing like steam trains - honking out of the saddle giving it a lung-busting effort to get up a gradient at speed rather than dropping right down into a low gear and spinning up? It doesn't take a genius to work out that the heavy breathing cyclists exhalations are going to carry further on the air than someone who just accepts that the climb is going to be slow, stays in the saddle, and gears down.
The virus doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I can see why some people don't want heavy breathing riders passing close by.
Funny, how none of this seems to apply to runners, then, who get exhalations, bodily fluids in the form of perspiration, and closer contact with others mixed into their efforts.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Funny, how none of this seems to apply to runners, then, who get exhalations, bodily fluids in the form of perspiration, and closer contact with others mixed into their efforts.

I think it's the presence of the bike as well as the cyclist, plus the higher speed/more exertion, that makes them stand out more than runners.

Top Bottom