More "welcoming" (or not) lockdown signs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BorderReiver

Veteran
Well, that is one way to make sure cyclists avoid your cafe after the lockdown. This in Burnsall, Yorkshire Dales. Which gets a lot of thirsty/hungry cyclists in more normal times. Maybe walkers and drivers are more welcome.

Attachments

• burnsall.jpg
    burnsall.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 19

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Well, that is one way to make sure cyclists avoid your cafe after the lockdown. This in Burnsall, Yorkshire Dales. Which gets a lot of thirsty/hungry cyclists in more normal times. Maybe walkers and drivers are more welcome.
Maybe take a marker pen and add 'Ever again'

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Half of me wants to say "dick" and to march up there with a pitchfork and a flaming torch.

The other half of me says "hang on, why has he said cyclists specifically? Has he maybe been getting cyclists using his seating?"

It's one of those where I'd love to know the context.

OP
OP
BorderReiver

BorderReiver

Veteran
Obviously I don't agree with things like this but people are just scared with what's going on, I would love to have an honest conversation with whoever wrote that sign.

Funny you should mention that. While I was taking the picture the village idiot turned up and said how stupid I was to lean my bike against the sign and how "we" (the villagers? the cafe owners?) didn't want cyclists in the village spreading the virus and how "bloody idiots" like me should "stay at home". I tried to have a conversation about one piece of exercise a day etc but he was just getting more and more agitated so in the end I had to just ride away. Some people don't care about the facts, they just want to be right.

Slick

Guru
Funny you should mention that. While I was taking the picture the village idiot turned up and said how stupid I was to lean my bike against the sign and how "we" (the villagers? the cafe owners?) didn't want cyclists in the village spreading the virus and how "bloody idiots" like me should "stay at home". I tried to have a conversation about one piece of exercise a day etc but he was just getting more and more agitated so in the end I had to just ride away. Some people don't care about the facts, they just want to be right.
It's fear though isn't it, well that and a good dollop of ignorance with the idiot you met. I live in a village and cycle through a number of other villages all within a few miles from home with no hassles, although I am mindful of not stopping. It's the same thing with farmers complaining about cyclists as I'm on the hill roads all the time and get nothing but a wave and a smile from all but one of the farmers I've come into contact with and the one was just annoyed that he couldn't just reverse his telehandler out his yard and onto the road without looking.

Drago

Legendary Member
Get a marker pen and alter it to read:

"Cyclists Doughnut Stop"

People are doing this because they are tw*ts with the IQ of pond ooze, not for any other reason. If they were that scared they wouldn't be venturing out to erect signs.

Most of the villages in the Dales have some form of notice up, of varying politeness, asking people not to 'visit'. Predominantly, these specify walkers if they specify any particular group (since walkers tend to hang around touching things). The majority of them also make the point that many of the residents are elderly and thus in the high risk group, or are farmers who 'cannot afford to be ill as they have to care for their livestock'.

The key there is the word 'visitors', which could be translated as 'people who stop'. I've spoken by phone and email to residents of several Dales villages and not many people object to cyclists passing through, singly. I've waved or spoken greetings to people in their gardens as I've passed through, all of whom have been friendly.

What many village residents don't want is anyone stopping. Rightly or wrongly, this is perceived as a risk, especially people sitting on benches, quite a few of which have tape across them to discourage their use. Personally, I find this signage and fear at best 'unfortunate', but it's undeniable that people in villages are genuinely worried and groups hanging around in their villages scare them. Given that nothing's open, why stop? Why not stop somewhere a kilometre or more outside and avoid causing yourself and the locals unnecessary stress. I don't think that should be necessary, but right now it's less antagonistic and reduces complaints to the police about cyclists.

...they're quite happy with people stopping when its them doing doing the stopping in someone elses town.
Oh indeed: definite double standards at work - pretty irritating. My point - and approach, since I live here and cycle past lots of these signs - is that since I don't need to stop in the village, I won't. There is zero point having the 'this is both legitimate and safe so please take your sign down' conversation as it's inherently confrontational and massively unlikely to produce a good result, as noted upthread.

OP
OP
BorderReiver

BorderReiver

Veteran
When all this is over I won't need to stop in these villages and spend money in their shops and tea rooms and I won't. Most people are really friendly and I get a smile and a wave from them, but there is always an odd one.... This sign has been up for well over a week so presumably most of the residents agree with it. There are other villages that still manage to be welcoming despite the circumstances. In one village I stopped in yesterday not only did I not get any abuse but somebody had put out free cupcakes. There is an underlying hatred of cyclists in some places which has always been there but the lockdown has brought it to the surface - these are the places I won't be stopping in when all this is over. I can understand the fear and the ignorance but the bigotry really irritates me - why single out cyclists as virus carriers?

....why single out cyclists as virus carriers?
The majority don't. The majority - the considerable majority - single out walkers, as I said. That's true in the Dales at least. That said, quite a few of such signs, notably a large one outside Horton-in-Ribblesdale saying 'Visitors not welcome', have disappeared recently, which is encouraging.

Last edited:
Top Bottom