More "welcoming" (or not) lockdown signs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I don't. But the sign has been up outside the cafe for well over a week. If I ran a cafe and a sign like that appeared outside I would make sure it came down pretty quickly. I can only conclude that if the cafe owner didn't put the sign up they do agree with the sentiment.

Or maybe the cafe owner / manger doesn't live in the village and hasn't seen the sign? Or they have seen it, but don't want to upset the local Victor Meldrew as they have to deal with him virtually every day?
That said, Burnsall has always been a bit up itself.

So you've never been standing by the side of a road then, when a roadie, or group of them, come past huffing and puffing like steam trains - honking out of the saddle giving it a lung-busting effort to get up a gradient at speed rather than dropping right down into a low gear and spinning up? It doesn't take a genius to work out that the heavy breathing cyclists exhalations are going to carry further on the air than someone who just accepts that the climb is going to be slow, stays in the saddle, and gears down.
The virus doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I can see why some people don't want heavy breathing riders passing close by.

Apparently not - a doctor on the radio (could have been Dr Sarah Jarvis) explained that while you're exercising you generally take more but shallower breaths meaning you exhale far fewer droplets. This means you're at a lower risk of spreading any lurgy.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think it's the presence of the bike as well as the cyclist, plus the higher speed/more exertion, that makes them stand out more than runners.
I think it could be a proven fact that it can all be chalked up to envy. Cycling is so much cooler than writing letters to The Guardian.
It has:
1-Interesting and fascinating equipment.
B-Neat accessories.
Fourth- Mates with verve and athleticism.
Finally- Sex appeal.
Lastly- Interesting jargon and customs.
Sure beats writing letters and posters admonishing select behaviors.

Top Bottom