More "welcoming" (or not) lockdown signs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Everybody worries at different levels and intensities to this awful virus. I've seen people wearing masks and disposable gloves and will cross the road when confronted with people.Others just carry on like normal.
It's a balancing act to what each feels is safe to do for themselves. The local fruit and veg shop won't let people in and will only serve customers from a table blocking the entrance to the shop. Other shops like supermarkets are fully open where the staff have been in close proximity of shoppers since day one of the lock down.
It a case of some being over cautious and others not. We should just respect each others fears and worries. A cafe owner would welcome the trade from anybody at the moment but there either closed or fearful for there safety, who can blame them.
This lock down isn't going to go on forever, so in the meantime just go with the flow and respect each others levels of anxietys

Smudge

Veteran
This village of Pill was featured on our local news the other week.

1588590025331.png

Globalti

Legendary Member
Living on the edge of a Lancashire mill town I can tell you that 14% of the town's population is playing fast and loose with the rules and at the same time wondering why their ethnic group comprises 36% of cases of Corona. We have had numerous examples of family groups meeting up and we have seen our neighbours entertaining members of their extended family including a GP and a paediatric consultant.

The risk posed by a few fit and healthy athletes breezing through a sparsely-populated village seem tiny by comparison.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Excuse me, deplorable scumbags, would you mind terribly not being quite so deplorable and scummy. Thanks awfully.

As if a polite hand-wringing request will make a blind bit of difference.
1588592763309.png

(For the benefit of those who don't display graphics it's a polite letter from BC and Cycling UK asking morons not to be morons.)

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Excuse me, deplorable scumbags, would you mind terribly not being quite so deplorable and scummy. Thanks awfully.

As if a polite hand-wringing request will make a blind bit of difference.
View attachment 519909
(For the benefit of those who don't display graphics it's a polite letter from BC and Cycling UK asking morons not to be morons.)
"Don't hate 'cos you ain't"

screenman

Legendary Member
How do you know the exact figure?

Genuinely curious.

I popped out and counted them. In truth I googled it, just typed in average age of people in xxxxx.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
why single out cyclists as virus carriers?

So you've never been standing by the side of a road then, when a roadie, or group of them, come past huffing and puffing like steam trains - honking out of the saddle giving it a lung-busting effort to get up a gradient at speed rather than dropping right down into a low gear and spinning up? It doesn't take a genius to work out that the heavy breathing cyclists exhalations are going to carry further on the air than someone who just accepts that the climb is going to be slow, stays in the saddle, and gears down.
The virus doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I can see why some people don't want heavy breathing riders passing close by.

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
I had a quick look on the Facebook page for the Wharfe View Cafe (same business) - it looks like the previous owner was very pro-cycling but sold up a couple of months ago. Presumably that sign's been put up by either the new owner or tenant or a local curtain twitcher.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
If I saw any such signs I would simply take it as a heads up to not support the business again. A local organic farm shop/tea room had very little cyclist custom until myself and my mate started visiting, posting pics on strava etc.. Similarly I've seen small cafes change owners and get a little hostile towards cyclists - close entirely.

Top Bottom