Most Overrated...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

4F said:
Music - Any rap / R&B from the 90's onwards - utter tosh

TV - Alan Partridge - again tried several times but just never got it
I find this almost offensive!
You can't seriously put any rap or rnb record produced in the previous 20 years into the same bracket can you??
And Alan Partridge was, and still is one of my favorite comedy series.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
darkstar said:
You can't seriously put any rap or rnb record produced in the previous 20 years into the same bracket can you??

I most certainly can, R and B screech screech drone done warble warble etc etc and the only acceptable rap was by the Sugar Hill Gang and anything since is utter dross.

As I said I never got Partridge and never likely to. Tosh

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And Vanilla Ice

4F said:
I most certainly can, R and B screech screech drone done warble warble etc etc and the only acceptable rap was by the Sugar Hill Gang and anything since is utter dross.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
4F said:

Seconded

I do like 'White Lines' by Grandmaster Melle Mel though, but that's it!

OP
OP
D

dustystreet

Flying_Monkey said:
Is there is any point in just listing things, without being able to discuss them?

because i specifically stated this was NOT a thread for discussion but to just list what each person thought was overrated? i just want short quick, answers, not pages full of the pros and cons. why is there always one? :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey said:
Anyway, since posters don't make the rules here, I'm going to say Dustystreet and RT - Apocalypse Now, Citizen Kane and Bladerunner - WTF?

did i not say this was not to disparage other people's choices? :smile:

Flying_Monkey said:
Anyway, my choices - which are o
pen season for discussion...

feel free to start your own discussion thread if you want! :smile:

darkstar

4F said:
How much of the music to come from this genre have you truthfully listened to over the past 20 years? There have been hundreds of great artists around, you just need to delve a bit deeper than the charts...
You are obviously not a fan of the genre, which is fair enough, but thats not a good reason to state all music from it is overrated. I'm not a fan of music from the classical or operatic genre but i don't say it's all overrated.

Hover Fly said:
TV Monty Python's Flying Circus. It had its good bits, but a lot of it was just juvenile.

Aside - When I was at secondary school in the 70's, it was always a topic of conversation in my age group, but as my parents didn't watch it, and we only had one (black and white) tv, I couldn't join in. No video recorders then either of course. It became a divisive thing: if you watched it and were 'in' on the jokes, you were in one clique: if you didn't you felt left out.

Years later, having watched a couple of re-run episodes, I can't see what all the fuss was about. I don't think I'd have found it funny then either! Having said that Holy Grail film had some good moments.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
beanzontoast said:
Years later, having watched a couple of re-run episodes, I can't see what all the fuss was about. I don't think I'd have found it funny then either! Having said that Holy Grail film had some good moments.

There are some funny sketches but, you're right, you have to wade through a lot of dull and dated stuff. I'm a bit of an animation nerd so I always liked the Terry Gilliam bit.

U

User482

I think John Cleese admitted that a good portion of Monty Python material wasn't particularly funny. It's not surprising - when you're trying something different you're bound to miss the mark fairly often.

4F

darkstar said:

darkstar said:
How much of the music to come from this genre have you truthfully listened to over the past 20 years? There have been hundreds of great artists around, you just need to delve a bit deeper than the charts...
You are obviously not a fan of the genre, which is fair enough, but thats not a good reason to state all music from it is overrated. I'm not a fan of music from the classical or operatic genre but i don't say it's all overrated.

They may be great to you, but to me they are still utter dross and I feel comfortable with my stance. :smile:

I am however probably stuck in a late 70's / 80's time warp with regard to my taste in music.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-uyWAe0NhQ

4F

threebikesmcginty said:
I'm not allowed youtube at work because I might see something naughty or such like!

Wild stab in the dark - are they boys and are they nutty?

:smile: One step beyond.................

darkstar

4F said:
They may be great to you, but to me they are still utter dross and I feel comfortable with my stance. :smile:

I am however probably stuck in a late 70's / 80's time warp with regard to my taste in music.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-uyWAe0NhQ

Fair enough, i suppose i've been bought up around this generation of music, i have a love for british hip hop, grime, and dnb.
So many good tracks out there if you just know where to look!
The 80s was a good decade for hip hop though it has to be said, Public Enemy, N.W.A, Slick Rick (legend), Ultramagnetic MCs etc etc!

Top Bottom