Most ridiculous Hi Fi upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Agree re diminishing returns.

Dynaudio make some fine speakers - I have some Audience 52's which I need to get onto ebay and they sounded fantastic for a pretty small box.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
https://www.naimaudio.com/solstice

Seriously - look at the thickness of that platter!

Maybe it will register the 'wow' from warped plastic to even greater levels of irritation.
Why make a 'high density' platter out of Aluminium

That's thicker than my friends Rock Reference's platter and that weighs 22 lb !
I think my Thorens has a Zinc (possiby Mazac) platter, I increased the weight by replacing the thin mat with 2 ridges around it with a thick flat rubber mat (still Thorens) from another model.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For those convinced it can't make a difference .

I listened to Dark Side Of The Moon, an album I thought I knew inside out , on her set up and what always sounded like a slight effect on a guitar solo was a clear over dub .
A lot of David Gilmour's solos were recorded 'DI' but then some were sent from the mixing desk out to a guitar amp and then recorded again by a microphone in front, this gives a slight bit of 'reverb'

Mind you very little of Pink Floyd's albums were recorded with them all in the studio at the same time

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
A lot of David Gilmour's solos were recorded 'DI' but then some were sent from the mixing desk out to a guitar amp and then recorded again by a microphone in front, this gives a slight bit of 'reverb'

Mind you very little of Pink Floyd's albums were recorded with them all in the studio at the same time
It'd have sounded like "Fight Night" on R5L if they had been ^_^

Lee_M

Guru
Every little helps!

I have just retired my mint condition Sugden A21a that doubles as a room heater - I might shove it in the attic to keep the pipes from freezing in winter.

Being disposed of soon as per its big brother Sugden Masterclass amp' that went for a a surprising sum.

I now have a cool running Cyrus amp' that shakes the walls through some Dali's and my green credentials have rocketed.

Interestingly I sold my a21a as I had an IA4 as well and couldn't justify two class a amps

I also have a Cyrus as a second system, and a leak 130 as a 3rd system.

I'm probably not what they're looking for in the environmental stakes

Top Bottom