Motorbike and scooter owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Mad I know but the best motorcycle I ever had was a 2005 Ural military sidecar, I lived on it pretty much. Went all over UK and Europe never let me down once. Wonderful bit of kit and have regretted it ever since.

keithmac

Guru
Work in progress, rebuilt with new carb kits (190 main jets) went for a ride and it bogs at 4,000 rpm full throttle.

Fitted some 220 main jets last thing Saturday so hopefully that'll sort it.

20201107_084914.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Work in progress, rebuilt with new carb kits (190 main jets) went for a ride and it bogs at 4,000 rpm full throttle.

Fitted some 220 main jets last thing Saturday so hopefully that'll sort it.

View attachment 557056
Many moons ago a mate from Enderby bought one of the first 350's to go 'proddy racing' on, he'd only had it a couple of days when he pulled up next to me at a junction and attempting to show me how quick it was gave it a big handful. All that happened was a big cloud of blue smoke from his LC as my little Honda CB125s shot away from him. :laugh:

To be fair a fortnight later it was like brown stuff off a shiny earth inverting implement and Ian did fairly well on it regularly getting podiums in the 'Pro-Am' races, never got the sponsorship to do anything major.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
New Sports bikes are knocking out 220bhp, too fast for me.

Sounding old but I prefer tinkering with an old smoker vs laptop out for all the new generation bikes, still that's progress I suppose..
Strangely the first bike with a clutch I ever rode was an S3 Kawasaki that belonged to Ian* I'll give him his due he did warn me not to give it 'full chat' in 1st or 2nd but failed to realise that as a 14yr old I was lighter than him, the front wheel came up in 3rd at about 50mph and scared the crap out of me. Luckily I was on a straight road and it was 1976 so the road was empty of cars.:eek:

* Ian Wareham had 2 nicknames, 'Wilf' as in 'wear em out Wilf' and Eddie

View: https://youtu.be/tLPEnfrqCDY

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I am seriously considering buying a used BMW S1000RR they are an incredible bike.

They are an excellent bike, worked a fair few S1000rr's and S1000XR's. Mainly servicing and tyres.

Later ones seem smoother, better Drive By Wire throttle control.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They are an excellent bike, worked a fair few S1000rr's and S1000XR's. Mainly servicing and tyres.

Later ones seem smoother, better Drive By Wire throttle control.
Aye Guy Martin would probably agree

View: https://youtu.be/cAhQ6Xp-ilE

EDIT although TBF it was probably the traction control closing the throttle that caused the crash.

keithmac

Guru
I suppose unless you were privy to the datalog data you could only speculate what happened there.

They seem to be the "in" bike at the moment and I've not heard a bad word said about them. Seen a few Aprilia V4 owners move over to the BMW stable.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The current S1000RR seems to be widely considered the best in class, at least for the road. Colleague who had an R1 (2014 so pre-'Big Bang' engine, a mere 158 bhp) has just PXd it for a new MT-07. Gorgeous looking bit of kit, he wanted to drop down to something with rather less power & he's happy so far.

keithmac

Guru
The Big Bang (crossplane crank) R1 came out in 2010, I must admit first one I road I loved it. A mix between a V twin and an Inline 4, definitely has character.

They revamped the engine in 2015 iirc, 2nd generation big bang.

Apparently it's half a V8, the uneven firing order was supposed to give better traction for the rear tyre.

Sound like a nerd now but that was the first bike in a long while where I was genuinely impressed.

The early ones may be the better option. Sound lovely with an Acropovic exhaust on!.

Top Bottom