Motorcycles in bus lanes: go-ahead given in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wrote and whinged to Boris...didn't do any good obviously.:rolleyes:

gbb

Legendary Member
It may not be the answer you were looking for, but Peterborough centre had a series of bus lanes imposed while some major long term roadworks were being undertaken. Congestion was major, and i guess public transport was being allowed to move as freely as possible....with the added bonus that if people could see this was the case, it may encourage more use of public transport.
Cycles, motorcycles and taxis were also allowed to use the bus lanes.

There were no incidents i was aware of in the 12 to 18 months it was in use.
I used the bus lanes regularly and remember more close calls with taxis and buses than motorcycles.
In fact, i can only remember ONCE getting spooked by a m/cycle that surprised me. Taxis however were (as usual) a far greater danger :biggrin:...albeit a small one in relation to using the normal roads.

I loved them bus lanes for the most part. I had no real problem with other users....shame they've finished now. Now we're all in the mix.

FWIW...i am not a motorcyclist...never have been.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Most of those moaning about this keep telling us what will happen, but I ca't see what this is based on, other than a prejudice that all people using motors of any sort are nutters out to get them.

Paranoid bunch, cyclists!

Strt telling me what has happened instead of what might and I might listen

thomas

the tank engine
I'm all for motorbikes being able to use bus lanes. I'd rather have a motortake overtake me on a bus lane when the normal lane next to me is blocked, than a bus :smile:

It does say it's being run for 18 months so if it doesn't work it can be scrapped.

Ravenz

bus lanes?? .. fill 'em up I say :smile:
and it's always entertaining to read on the commuter thread when someone has an argument with buz 20 tonnes plus :sad::biggrin:.. even better when they filmz it :smile:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
All, particulalry the MB riders need to note this is not universal. The bus lanes it civers are onthe TfL strategic road network - basically the Red Routes. Boris has no jurisdiction over the lanes prescribed by the Boroughs.

LOGAN 5

zimzum42 said:
Most of those moaning about this keep telling us what will happen, but I ca't see what this is based on, other than a prejudice that all people using motors of any sort are nutters out to get them.

Paranoid bunch, cyclists!

Strt telling me what has happened instead of what might and I might listen

The evidence is all in relevant threads in "commuting". It's happening already on the existing authorised red route bus lanes which have been on trial for several years eg A23 Brixton. I'm certainly not imaging all the motorbikes whizzing past me fast and close both overtaking and undertaking. I'm not saying what will happen but what is happening.

LLB

I don't think I've seen a motorbike waiting in traffic alongside an empty bus lane for a long time.

I've never used a bus lane in London on my m/cycle in the times I've ridden in the capital. Given the nutters in the taxis and buses using them, it may have its downsides.

LLB

I'm just curious as to why you mentioned London, when Cheltenham has its own share of bus lanes.

Access is decided by the local authorities. Bath and Bristol have allowed them in and it has worked successfully there for nearly 2 decades. I would expect other authorities to watch the London scheme before acting themselves. The bus lane on the A40 into Cheltenham was only put in last year, and they never hurry themselves on a decision.

LLB

Cross purposes again. I spoke about riding in bus lanes in general, not the ones where bikes are allowed. You made a comment about London, which is strange, because you have bus lanes in Cheltenham, and live there.

We have two bus lanes on one stretch of road which runs from the Donut to TGIs, and then another stretch between Westal green and Montpellier in both directions, and the other one is from Pittville gates to Leisure lakes on the Evesham road.

Access to the former is not denied to other vehicles during off peak time, so the only moot point would be securing this 24 hours per day for m/cycles.
access to the latter will at some time be chased no doubt.

Top Bottom