Motorcycles in bus lanes - update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've started a new thread as User and Lindorf Horsebox have parasitised the old one. Please guys, keep it off this thread, OK?

Copy of TFL's response to my email:

"I would like to thank you for your email to the Mayor dated 23 May 2008. The Mayor's office has asked that we reply to your email regarding motorcycles in bus lanes. I sincerely apologise for the delay in our reply to you and I fully appreciate your patience as we have been addressing this matter.

I note and regret your opposition to the introduction of motorcycles into bus lanes; however, the Mayor wishes to further encourage modal shift away from the private car and believes that motorcycles have an important role to play in this.

In highlighting and clarifying a general misconception, the Mayor has jurisdiction over the Transport for London Road Network (TLRN), commonly known as the 'Red Routes', which makes up only 5% of roads in London. Therefore, he has only authorised the use of motorcycles in bus lanes on these roads. The remaining roads are the responsibility of the respective boroughs and the decision to allow motorcycles into these bus lanes rests with them.

Please be assured that we will continually review the use of motorcycles in bus lanes. Furthermore, we will make every effort to encourage a good relationship between cyclists and motorcyclists.

Once again, thank you for your interest in this matter and I hope that the information that I have provided has been helpful to you. Should you require assistance with any further issues, please feel free to contact me."

Not sure what this means for London cyclists. We could contact our local boroughs' highways departments to make sure that they know of our opposition to this. Does anyone know whether this is happening via LCC for instance?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
"our opposition" ??????

I think it's a good idea, never had a problem with bikers in the bus lane myself. Those who complain about it strike me as being those who complain about absolutely every other road user who's not on a bicycle

Bikes are great, but you'll never persuade everyone to feel the same. In the meantime, if ideas like this get more people out of cars, then I'm all for it.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Interesting read that 20", I contacted TfL over a red route problem in my area(nothing to do with motorbikes btw)to which they said it was a matter for my local council, when I contacted my local council they tried to put me back to TfL.:thumbsdown:

They 'trialled' a joint-use lane on my commute about 18 months ago - it has since become legit. I don't have a problem with motorbikes sharing bus lanes as there aren't that many of them compared to taxis and buses round here, and to be fair, they seem to give me more room generally than the buses at least.

OP
OP
T
I've spoken to a few people - the analysis is that Boris is dithering about it. This should be the time to put pressure on his office, and on London councillors in local boroughs. LCC are doing a little bit, I'll contact CTC too, as if it happens in London it'll open the door to it happening in other cities.

LLB

Twenty Inch said:
I've spoken to a few people - the analysis is that Boris is dithering about it. This should be the time to put pressure on his office, and on London councillors in local boroughs. LCC are doing a little bit, I'll contact CTC too, as if it happens in London it'll open the door to it happening in other cities.

Bring it on, it will be a victory for common sense.

obviously those who abuse it will fall under the existing laws governing ptw's on the roads.
We are discussing ptw's in bus lanes which are shared with taxi's & buses here & not ptw's in cycle lanes.

My biggest problem is with taxis & private hire on any road. the good thing is that they also drive like knobs in other countries also ;)

Halloway

In Hull, bus lanes are shared with taxis and motorbikes and I am not aware of any problems at all. I ride both cycles and bikes and don't have a problem with sharing road space with either.

I have never had so much as the faintest near miss with a motorbike whilst cycling in urban environments. I wish I could say the same for buses.

LLB

The CTC view

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4790

I haven't looked into it yet, so don't necessarily share the opinion.

Feel free to offer your own take on it ;)

Bad Company

Very Old Person
I'd only have a problem with the idiot bikers,

Trouble is there are also idiot car drivers, cyclists, bus drivers etc., etc. Surely the answer is to allow the bikers for a trial period with instructions to police to nick those who abuse the concession??

LLB

Bad Company said:
Trouble is there are also idiot car drivers, cyclists, bus drivers etc., etc. Surely the answer is to allow the bikers for a trial period with instructions to police to nick those who abuse the concession??

But when the opinion is prejudiced, it is very difficult to change the viewpoint :tongue:

I think the question is this. Do you want more people on bikes or don't you. £140 million has been spent on LCN+ (a network of cycle routes in London) and nobody uses it. Paint a bit of tarmac red and cyclists gather like flies on a dead cat. (I did a motorbike/cyclist count on the way home today - cyclists 200 and stopped counting, motorbikes and scooters 12).

If you make bus lanes uncomfortable for the less assured cyclist (and check the thread in Chat for an illustration) they won't cycle. I'm not too bothered by motorcyclists in bus lanes, but that's not the point - the people we should be concerned for are next years cyclists.

Motorcyclists will complain that this is all very unfair - but that's life. And their emissions are as toxic as anything that comes out of the back of a car.

LLB

simon l& and a half said:
I think the question is this. Do you want more people on bikes or don't you. £140 million has been spent on LCN+ (a network of cycle routes in London) and nobody uses it. Paint a bit of tarmac red and cyclists gather like flies on a dead cat. (I did a motorbike/cyclist count on the way home today - cyclists 200 and stopped counting, motorbikes and scooters 12).

If you make bus lanes uncomfortable for the less assured cyclist (and check the thread in Chat for an illustration) they won't cycle. I'm not too bothered by motorcyclists in bus lanes, but that's not the point - the people we should be concerned for are next years cyclists.

Motorcyclists will complain that this is all very unfair - but that's life. And their emissions are as toxic as anything that comes out of the back of a car.

And what of those who commute beyond a reasonable range which can be expected of a cyclist who doesn't want to spend 4+ hours a day commuting by cycle due to the distance they have to cover ?

Top Bottom