Motorist gets arsey with cyclists, gets thumped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
This is my uber- analysis of what "went down":

It starts off relatively fine:

- Side by side riding - OK, with discretion
- Overtaking cyclists - OK, if safe to do so

Yes, the cyclists could have gone single file, but are not obliged to if the road conditions do not warrant it.

Highway Code said:
You should ...never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

I'm not sure if a single car makes a road "busy" or not, and that stretch of road is not narrow.

However:

- Stopping to confront other road used - potential for inflamming emotions/ frustrations
- Kicking Car - Criminal Damage
- Punching someone in the face - Assault, possibly Aggrevated Assault as the victim had to be pulled from his car

For me although the driver is clearly the legal victim in this situation (edit) - if his account is accurate, I can't help feeling that it could have been avoided by not stopping in the first instance. Much in the same way that cyclists who confront drivers angrily open themselves to further malice.

Highway Code said:
You should... not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey.

This applies to both parties, and could have a avoided this needless confrontation and bad press for all.

So in short, it seems that not only the driver, but the two cyclists, are infact dicks. And the two cyclists are quite rightly going to face criminal charges hopefully.

I look forward to your well considered critiques!

I always like investigating assaults. You take the victims statement, to find that they are a completely upstanding member of the community, and the assault was utterly unprovoked, occurring without warning from a total drunken stranger. Oh, and they definitely weren't drunk, just 'merry'.

If you catch up with the stranger, you then find out from them that actually, they were simply minding their own business, doing nothing when for no reason, a drunk stranger came up and tried to punch them, so in self defence they hit them, whilst shouting 'I say!' before managing to run away. Oh, and hey definitely weren't drunk, just 'merry'.

Then you watch the CCTV and see two very drunk idiots, posturing up to each other for a good few minutes before performing a decent impression of either a) two windmills built too near each other in a hurricane or b) an Olympic swimmer practising front crawl the only way possible whilst standing, with no access to water. One of said drunken idiots then comes out ahead on points, and gets to stagger off proudly, whilst the other picks up the pieces of his wounded pride, and in an attempt to justify the whole situation, decides to report the matter to the police.

Ok, I shouldn't be so cynical, but in ten years of watching CCTV I've been surprised just ONCE, and actually congratulated the victim in that matter for possibly being the only 100% accurate and truthful statement I've ever taken!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If the guy got out of the car and threatened the cyclists then possibly fair enough but attacking him in his car was just gratuitous violence IMHO. The driver was an ar$ehole but unless he got out and approached them they should have rode on.

Lime Green and White is completely unforgivable anyway...

PK99

Legendary Member
I. The driver was an ar$ehole but unless he got out and approached them they should have rode on.

Why was the guy an ar&ehole? He may well have been a cyclist who wanted to give good advise to other cyclists.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Had some moron in a white van this morning shouting at me on a roundabout, that I should be using a cycle path and not the road , twat.....

Drago

Legendary Member
Copper Cylist is bang-on target. 9 out of 10 assaults I've picked up over the years were nothing of the sort. Most of them are shoving matches or various degrees of fisticuffs into which both parties willingly enter with gusto and the loser decides to phone the dibble. It's quite rare that a person is genuinely innocent.

To me it seems that the BMW driver was an irritated pedantic banker who wanted to take on a couple of roiders on bikes. Must have been fun to watch.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The "Double standards" on here always make me smile.^_^

It is not ok for driver to stop and tell cyclists not to ride 2 abreast but it is ok for a cyclist to tell a driver not to use a phone whist driving (We have had that one on here).

There will always the odd occasion when someone gets walloped because there is just as many Dic#head cyclists as there are Dic#head drivers at the end of the day.

In this case the driver was thicker than the cyclists. Why get confrontational with your mouth when you have a 100mph, metal box to be confrontational with? :thumbsup:

Steve

There's nothing wrong with black BMWs (apart from being a bitch to keep clean, and rip-off parts prices).

Just another idiot with a point to make against cyclists, and a pair of cyclists who decided GBH and vandalism was the way to deal with an idiot.

Top Bottom