Motorist gets arsey with cyclists, gets thumped

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Peowpeowpeowlasers, 23 Aug 2012.

1. Peowpeowpeowlasers

Peowpeowpeowlasers Well-Known Member

growingvegetables likes this.
  2. Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong Über Member

Why the driver feels the need to stop to tell then not to cycle side by side in beyond me, Only one side of the story, hard to know what realy happened.

Its legal and ok to ride side by side isnt it?

3. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Oh no......... a two abreast debate in the making. Quick answer, use your common sense!

SomethingLikeThat, david k and 400bhp like this.
  4. Drago

Drago Guru

It's not always appropriate, but it's totally lawful. It's not terribly safe two gexateaight side-by-side, cos if one rider has a problem he'll likely take the other rider with him. Thus the outside rider is best riding with their front wheel level with the inside riders rear.

And who made this driver the arbiter of who should and shouldn't pursue a lawful activity? He'd overtaken them and was on his merry way, so why did he need to stop for a chat with a 6'2" heavily built cyclist?

There could be another side to this, but the driver chose to start the confrontation and more fool him for not being as high up the food chain as he thought. I would say its funny, but this is how the likes of Kenneth Noye kill people - you gain nothing whatsoever from starting an argument with another road user and have a lot to lose if it gues sideways.

david k and MissTillyFlop like this.
  5. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

It's not a war as in “them and us” we have to share the road so common sence on both parts is needed.

david k, Pat "5mph", dave r and 4 others like this.
  6. MissTillyFlop

MissTillyFlop Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

^^^^^^^ this.

TimMullett and Drago like this.
  7. Peter Armstrong

Peter Armstrong Über Member

I dont think laws are made with common sense

CopperCyclist likes this.
  8. wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard Über Member

OMFG. That sounds awful. The poor man.

Lime green cycling gear with a white bike

9. Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic Veteran

This common sense, rational approach to the situation isn't going to get us anywhere. It is obvious to me from the account given that the cyclists were acting in self defense and used tha absolute minimum force necessary to protect themselves from being killed.
    The fact that the driver was in a BMW seems not to be in dispute nor the fact that he remonstrated with the cyclist. Combined with the fact that one of the cyclists was wearing lime green the notion of self defense is irrefutable. :becool:

MissTillyFlop and Drago like this.
  10. wheres_my_beard

The other cyclist was clearly a ninja, along with his ten ninja mates the driver failed to see in their peleton. You don't f*ck with da ninja's.

[srsly]Having safely passed the riders it's seems bloody minded to actually stop and finger wag at them. However, their are too many unknowns from the story to know what really happened, clearly the driver will underplay his part in the incident; "So, then your Honour, I told them "to get out of the f*ckin way you c*nts..." not very likely, eh?.[/srsly]

MissTillyFlop, 400bhp and Drago like this.
  11. Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

i'd want to kick it regardless of the drivers attitude! joking

as an aside when i see bikes being ridden badly i will mutter something under my breath in the car (the missus is more vocal) but wouldnt stop, get out and confront the cyclists! even when riding i wont say anything (unless they pavement hop and put me in danger) apart from watch it or something similar and then teach by example.

david k and Drago like this.
  12. BSRU

BSRU A Human Being

What sort of idiot confronts a "well built" 6ft2in cyclists dressed in Lycra:tongue:

fossyant and Drago like this.
  13. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Quite appalling.
    I blame these cycling forums on the internet, they all have space devoted to Kit and Clothing, but when did you last see a Style section?

400bhp, Drago and Uncle Mort like this.
  14. wheres_my_beard

Someone call the Police. The Style Police.

15. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

The motorist had been driving a black BMW

=
    I am a cock and despite you lot riding within the rules of the highway code you have slowed my progress down therefore it is my right to get out of car and act like a tit further delaying my progress.

HLaB, Peteaud, wmtlynx and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice