Moving to St Annes near Blackpool..your thoughts please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Yo could hasten that with some strategically placed dynamite, Julia!
They already blew my old school up, sold off the site and built posh flats. They should have called me - I'd have willingly pressed the button

Then there's the better weather to consider. I'm told that they don't have frost or snow over there,due to the salt in the air. Is this true i wonder?
I've only been to Blackpool once, New Years Day 2001 (or close). There was ice on sand. We'd just come from Edinburgh, which was blanketed with snow. Blackpool wasn't, but as I say, the sea water had frozen on the interminable beach. No snow, but it noticeably colder.

I don't know St Anne's, but Blackpool itself remains one of the most depressing places I have visited on planet earth, and that includes Theresienstadt.

I quite like Blackpool in small doses. It is what it is!
I'm guessing you have never been there on a snowy New Years Day. It was empty, the bling that might have worked the previous evening had faded to dispair by morning. It didn't help that our hotel - the last night they were open before they closed for a much needed refurb - was hosting a sub-Bernard Manning comedian. We observed at dinner, we seemed to be the youngest guests at the hotel by 30 years (excluding the woman who had come with her parents), so just after we'd tucked into bed the comedian launched into his set of mother-in-law and fat-women set. The desire to stomp downstairs in a gown and demand that "you old people need to quieten down, so us young people can sleep" has stayed with me.

Julia9054

Guru
Other memories of Blackpool involve hanging out there with my bezzie as a teenager during Glaswegian holiday week and evading being chatted up by drunken Scotsmen by pretending to be French!
More recent visits to Blackpool have been as part of a major brass band festival. Blackpool's weirdo count is not improved by being full of banders!

And Accy isn't thinking of moving to Blackpool.
Can someone drop a pin on google maps and show me where it is. I get something 8 km from Blackpool, which for me is Blackpool. It's half an hour on a bike, and a little over an hour walking. And just a few minutes in a car.

But if I have misunderstood, apologies. Actually, no. I gave honest advice, well caveated with my experience. Accy has enough info to ignore me if I misunderstood. So no apology needed.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
First I’ll apologise if I upset anyone.

Yes St Anne’s and Lytham are nice enough places but I can’t think of a single reason for visiting let alone moving to live in the area. There’s simply nothing to do. I’ll be surprised if there’s much in the way of public amenities.

As @Julia9054 says it’s where people go to die. Everyone always seems old on the odd occasion I visit - I should add I’m 64!!

Accy you need to think about this very carefully. I know nothing about you, I realise Accrington has its’ problems but looking from the outside I’d say it has far more character than Lytham St Anne’s. Lancashire is a fantastic county with great places to live and I think you could do much better than this coastal area all the way up to Fleetwood.

Top Bottom