Mow Cop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dr_pink

Placed somewhere in the middle with 3:10.5.
Made good use of the catcher at the top, lol! He had to remove my bike from under me. Utterly f***ed!
Well done Richard Rob3rt - excellent ride!

Mow Cop was a LOT better than I was expecting. After we rode it yesterday pm I was thinking of pulling out - thinking I had the wrong gearing for the top. Also I totally freaked out cycling downhill (no surprise to Potsy I'm sure!) as it was so wet my brakes weren't working properly... I told TF that I would go and see how bad the weather was and decide then.. But on no account would I ever enter it again.
It was wet, but wasn't actually raining just before I started so thought I should face my fears...decided to play slightly safe and pace it on the bottom section in order to give it everything on the steep bit. Did the steep bit on 39-27 and it was actually absolutely fine (helped by the cheers from spectators and TF running up alongside just like a Vuelta fan (well, without a mankini..)) and dropped into 39-24 for the very last part. I also made good use of the 'catchers' today - but no vomiting or anything so clearly hadn't tried hard enough and now now thinking I could have gone much harder at the bottom..and so much faster. Already wondering what I could do next year :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Brilliant Helen.

Do you have a start sheet for Cragg Vale yet? I don't have it yet. Wondering which big hitters are going to be riding. Cragg Vale should suit me better than the last few HC's, hoping for a decent position as last 2 races have been pretty disappointing.

Unfortunately for dr_pink, [and echoed in most of women's cycle racing] I was unable to discover what the women's record was for Mow Cop hill climb, no problems with the men's record, there never is. Not a healthy state of affairs in a country that supposedly defends equality, plus the men's winner gets more money and a framed photo of himself on the climb, dr_pink had to buy hers.
For the record, the previous quickest time by a woman they knew of was 8 min 33 sec, dr_pink's time was 6 min 11 sec, but not quick enough to deserve a mention :angry:.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is pretty poor. Can't blame the organisers of the event for not knowing the record if there is no prior record keeping within the governing body etc though. The organiser for Mow Cop is a good guy for sure and I am sure he would have tried to find the women's record.

I don't know the way forward with this, if there is no easy to find official record, should they maybe just attribute the record to the fastest time they can find as far back as results can be found (It would have to happen at CTT committee level though, not individual organiser level)? Maybe, but then someone might come out of the woodwork and challenge it. It's a tough one. Same problem with Blackstone Edge. The CTT need to address it in some way.

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Forgot to mention in my Rake HC race report, all riders got a t-shirt. Nice touch! Ironically, the size is large, lol! How many large hill climbers do you know?

IMAG0151_1.jpg

Winners of each category got a jersey too.

400bhp

Guru
Unfortunately for dr_pink, [and echoed in most of women's cycle racing] I was unable to discover what the women's record was for Mow Cop hill climb, no problems with the men's record, there never is. Not a healthy state of affairs in a country that supposedly defends equality, plus the men's winner gets more money and a framed photo of himself on the climb, dr_pink had to buy hers.
For the record, the previous quickest time by a woman they knew of was 8 min 33 sec, dr_pink's time was 6 min 11 sec, but not quick enough to deserve a mention :angry:.

WTF - that's bollox:sad:

400bhp

Guru
It is pretty poor. Can't blame the organisers of the event for not knowing the record if there is no prior record keeping within the governing body etc though. The organiser for Mow Cop is a good guy for sure and I am sure he would have tried to find the women's record.

I don't know the way forward with this, if there is no easy to find official record, should they maybe just attribute the record to the fastest time they can find as far back as results can be found (It would have to happen at CTT committee level though, not individual organiser level)? Maybe, but then someone might come out of the woodwork and challenge it. It's a tough one. Same problem with Blackstone Edge. The CTT need to address it in some way.

It's not a tough one. Just set the record as far back as records began. That's implicit in the definition of a record!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It's not a tough one. Just set the record as far back as records began. That's implicit in the definition of a record!!

Yes, but the problem is, who has the records, are they complete etc. As I said above, you could set the records simply, but you may find people come out of the woodwork challenging it. Thus there needs to be an executive decision and this needs to come from the CTT committee, not individual race organisers.

400bhp

Guru
You draw a line in the sand.

You ask for others to provide evidence if anyone believes someone has been quicker.

It aint that hard.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Last edited:
Very well done Helen! If I'd known there was a possibility of a mankini I might have come along to watch.
Not a chance in hell! In any case I would never subject a nice person like you to nightmares.
WTF - that's bollox:sad:
Can't some of the top bloke hill climbers take a stand on this?
Yes, it most assuredly is bollox, to give another example, the week before on Monsal Head the winning man got £200, the winning woman £50. The thought process, ingrained over generations, is that the overall winner deserves to get the top prize, you may be surprised to learn somewhat amazingly, that it somehow always seems to be a man. How incredible is that? It is almost as though men [and I know this is a ridiculous concept]] are naturally endowed with a stronger physiology than women. When I am angry my sarcasm increases proportionally.
On the Time Trialling Forum on which dr_pink, myself and Rob are members I dare not stick my head above the parapet any more on this subject which is almost universally ignored [very much a testosterone fuelled man's world] because I fear the fallout for dr_pink.
It is 2013 yet in the world of CTT [Cycling Time Trials] it might as well be 1913, I am fairly sure that the Equality Act 2010 is being abused usually without malicious intent or even realisation but nevertheless it is wrong yet I feel powerless to take action.
It is so much a man's world, controlled by mainly old men [on the CTT committee there are 14 members of which just 2 are women, one being the Chairperson who should be ashamed] and has been this way for so long it is entirely resistant to change. The top men are just following in the blueprint footsteps of those before them and I think that the women who are in a minority feel intimidated,
There is much more I could say but for now rant over, I will just post the preview as written by the CTT of this weekend's events, women took part in them all and at least three hill records were taken by women:
Peview 12/13 October
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Preview.jpg
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Plenty of action on the hill climb front as the RTTC National Championship approaches. Former champions Matt Clinton (Mike Vaughan Cycles) and James Dobin (Arctic SRAM RT) are in entered for the Holme Valley Wheelers at Holmfirth along with Tejvan Pettinger (Sri Chinmoy RT), Richard Handley (Rapha Condor JTL) and Josh Teasdale (In Gear Quickvit Trainsharp). Clinton, Pettinger and Teasdale remain in the area to ride the Huddersfield Star Wheelers event where the time to beat is 3-49.9, the course record set by Jeff Wright when he won the National Championship back in 1994. Event headquarters are at the Red Lion Pub (what a good idea) .

Dobin goes for Sunday's Lancashire RC promotion on Ramsbottom Rake where James Gullen (Team Hope Factory Racing), Samuel Jackson (Cleveleys RC) and Lynn Hamel (Herbalife) are also listed. Clinton and Pettinger also compete in the Lyme RC event as does Lee Baldwin (Buxton CC), who rides Saturday's Rutland CC hill climb with team mate Chris Baines.

031-A4%20-%20Ewing-Bronwen_2252_0301.jpg
Drighlington BC provide most of the field for their own event on Sunday with Greg Kershaw one of their representatives. The club's Carl Saint also rides. The South Pennine RC's event at Crick Stand includes Chris Myhill (Peak RC) and Team Zenith Buzzcycles Lucas Manning and Adam Kenway while in Essex the Eastern Counties CA event is headed by Ciclos Uno duo Martin Meads and Dean Lubin.

The biggest field of the weekend is for the classic Catford CC hill climb. The 150 riders include Robert Gough and Michael Broadwith (Arctic SRAM RT), James Coleman (VC Walcot), Peter Tadros (In Gear Quickvit Trainsharp), Glyndwr Griffiths (Bristol South CC) while the women include Bronwen Ewing (Trainsharp RT).

Top Bottom