Mow Cop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Organiser said it is the same every year and that he is aware of it. Someone on twitter told me they had started filling in the road and were working in opposite directions to meet in the middle. Hopefully all should be clear on the day.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Seen the headwind that is forecast FFS! Wrap up warm Colin, looks like it is going to be proper HC weather, grizzly! I'll be rolling in via Littlebrough and up over Blackstone Edge and down into Mytholmroyd most likely.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Seen the headwind that is forecast FFS! Wrap up warm Colin, looks like it is going to be proper HC weather, grizzly! I'll be rolling in via Littlebrough and up over Blackstone Edge and down into Mytholmroyd most likely.
It is looking grim - the forecasters are even saying there might be thunderstorms when you guys are riding. I might just come along and say hello at HQ and head home to the warm and dry if things are that bad!

I'm heading up CV again today, so I'll see what has happened to the roadworks and will post the news here later.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is looking grim - the forecasters are even saying there might be thunderstorms when you guys are riding. I might just come along and say hello at HQ and head home to the warm and dry if things are that bad!

I'm heading up CV again today, so I'll see what has happened to the roadworks and will post the news here later.

Great cheers! If you want a gentle pootle for a couple of miles to the HQ, I can go via Hebden Bridge to get to Mytholmroyd instead of over Blackstone Edge and meet you on the way if you wanted. Although it really would be about a mile, lol!

ColinJ

Yikes - I hope you don't experience tomorrow what I just did! :eek::rain:

The good news is - the roadworks have been completed, and all was clear.

I am having second thoughts about riding in the wet again tomorrow, so I might just walk to the community centre instead and say hello there. I don't fancy standing around in the open for 90-odd minutes in crappy conditions.

ColinJ

I met @totallyfixed and @dr_pink for coffee in Hebden Bridge this morning. I had been thinking of not going to watch the HC because of the grim forecast, but conditions improved so I walked over there and met up with them again at event HQ which was Mytholmroyd Community Centre. I also saw @Rob3rt there.

TF drove me up to the open moor where we waited for dr_p to go by. Conditions were getting worse, but were still nowhere near as bad as they had been yesterday. Some riders were going well, but course records were never going to be broken with a stiff headwind up there.

We waited to give dr_p a jacket to wear for the descent, and drove back down to the start where we spotted Rob3rt waiting to set off.

We all eventually got together at HQ for the results.

Rob3rt had done a pretty good time in blustery conditions, especially since it was raining on the moor by the time he got up there. I think he did 19:14 and came 6th out of a start list in the 60s.

Dr_pink was a bit knackered after an awful night trying to sleep at a noisy Premier Inn so she wasn't on top form, but was still second woman in 21:xx (I forget the exact figure), which I think was a good result.

The winner did a phenomenal ride in the conditions - 16:xx. where xx was pretty low, 14 was it?

I will check my photos later and post a few if they turned out.

Svendo

Guru
I met @totallyfixed and @dr_pink for coffee in Hebden Bridge this morning. I had been thinking of not going to watch the HC because of the grim forecast, but conditions improved so I walked over there and met up with them again at event HQ which was Mytholmroyd Community Centre. I also saw @Rob3rt there.

TF drove me up to the open moor where we waited for dr_p to go by. Conditions were getting worse, but were still nowhere near as bad as they had been yesterday. Some riders were going well, but course records were never going to be broken with a stiff headwind up there.

We waited to give dr_p a jacket to wear for the descent, and drove back down to the start where we spotted Rob3rt waiting to set off.

We all eventually got together at HQ for the results.

Rob3rt had done a pretty good time in blustery conditions, especially since it was raining on the moor by the time he got up there. I think he did 19:14 and came 6th out of a start list in the 60s.

Dr_pink was a bit knackered after an awful night trying to sleep at a noisy Premier Inn so she wasn't on top form, but was still second woman in 21:xx (I forget the exact figure), which I think was a good result.

The winner did a phenomenal ride in the conditions - 16:xx. where xx was pretty low, 14 was it?

I will check my photos later and post a few if they turned out.

I went for a ride today and on the off chance came up Cragg Vale, riders in the late 30s were on the way up at the time. I think I saw Dr. Pink on her way down, but called out too late for her to hear.
That's a good time by Dr. Pink, the head wind on the top half was pretty fierce. And a really impressive winning time. Best I've managed was 22 mins (over the full 8.83kms) albeit within a longer ride.
I did keep an eye out for you Colin, but mostly relied on my resplendent Cycle Chat kit to enable me to be recognised.
Chapeau to No.29, who I passed. A lady on a mountain bike who looked like merely getting to the top was a challenge in itself.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Nice to meet you @ColinJ and thanks for coming along!

That weather was amazing, lol! The headwind not so nice, but the rain, just wow! It felt like hail and I could barely see anything (very glad I took my glasses off, you might have noticed my panic just before setting off, quickly taking them off and pocketing them with only a few seconds to spare) so pretty much just relied on road markings and my ears! Just emptied my shoes out, all my kit is completely water logged :tongue:

The climb was quite fun, I saw the dragon part way up, which I had forgotten was there, which gave me a bit of a laugh. For my ride I pretty much just tried to remain as aero as possible for the whole climb on account of the headwind so sat in a crouched psudeo-TT position. I was off second last and expected to be last one to finish as pro rider Richard Handley of Rapha Condor JTL was last man off, 1 minute behind me, he caught me even quicker than expected which was not good for morale, he absolutely flew past, I could hear his aero wheels rumbling along and he was riding on aero bars, I could see him get out of the saddle and honk up some of the steeper bits briefly before he disappeared into the distance. But I slowly reeled in number 71, 69 and another rider.

At one point I could see someone going slowly up the hill, it looked (remember I had taken off my glasses) like they had a cigarette held down by their side as some people do but as I approached, I realised it was a friend who had ridden earlier and last I knew was the current race leader and what he was holding was not a cigarette but a small video camera, he was riding along filming me approaching from the rear and then passed him. Hopefully he will send me the footage.

When it was all over I turned round and descended back down with an East Lancs RC rider chatting. Got to the foot of the descent and went to collect the drink I had stashed, only to find the guy who's garden I stashed it in was holding it and chatting to a couple, I approached them and he asked is this yours? He then laughed and said, "oops, I've just emptied it out and was about to put it in the bin, I thought everyone had gone", I told him it was fine and thanked him for handing it back and carried on back to HQ where Dr Pink shouted that my time was good, I proceeded indoors and treat everyone to the guns show (stripped off my wet clothes).

Not sure what to make of it tbh, position is good (esp considering at least 2 of the riders above me were pro's and I beat a local rider that would normally put a fair chunk of time into me on a long climb like that, I didn't look at the result board so not sure who else was up there), looking at my data, looks like I rode reasonably well, pretty much a constant 380W from the bottom to the top. But I didn't feel like I got it all out tbh, could have and should have ramped it up for the last mile or so, I am certain I could have gone harder, especially if I had known for certain where the finish was. I was almost immediately able to speak to another rider up the top (very nice guy from East Lancs RC) as we descended back down to HQ, usually takes me 5+ mins after an effort of that length to be able to speak properly.

BTW, did I mention, I got stung on the forehead while warming up, lol! Never been stung in my life until this year and then twice in 1 year I get stung while racing.

Also met a team mate (Alice, who placed 3rd in the women's competition) for the 1st time, didn't realise she was riding since she was down as a Macc wheeler... she kindly gave me a lift home too, which saved the hassle of the train and finite bike space.

Yup, he is a beast, he won the Rake last week too, he is a pro rider for Hope.

Last edited:

ColinJ

I went for a ride today and on the off chance came up Cragg Vale, riders in the late 30s were on the way up at the time. I think I saw Dr. Pink on her way down, but called out too late for her to hear.
That's a good time by Dr. Pink, the head wind on the top half was pretty fierce. And a really impressive winning time. Best I've managed was 22 mins (over the full 8.83kms) albeit within a longer ride.
I did keep an eye out for you Colin, but mostly relied on my resplendent Cycle Chat kit to enable me to be recognised.
Chapeau to No.29, who I passed. A lady on a mountain bike who looked like merely getting to the top was a challenge in itself.
I spotted you as we drove back down the hill!

I'm amazed that you haven't gone quicker than 22 mins - I managed 23.5 minutes (for the full hill) in 2006 or 2007 and you are fitter than I was then. Mind you, I did go there specifically to time myself and did it after just an easy warm-up.

I saw the woman on the MTB lining up at the start. I think she did it in 39:xx. I agree - chapeau!

I enjoyed seeing what a HC event is like and have decided that I will have a go at that one myself some day if I am able to do a respectable time on training rides. I can't see me ever winning even my own age category, but if I could get close to 20 mins then I'd be happy with that.

Here are some pictures. (I managed to miss the picture I tried to take of dr_pink in action - I clicked the wrong button and shut my camera app down!)

Final gears check and warm up.jpg

Rob3rt gets ready.jpg

Rider 27.jpg

Out of the saddle.jpg

Rider 25.jpg

Rider 22.jpg

Rider 19.jpg

Riders 18 and 21.jpg

Rider 17.jpg

Rider 14.jpg

dr_pink

Thanks for coming Colin - lovely to see you!
Rob3rt's 19:14.9 was fantastic - took some good scalps there coming in at 6th!
Yes James Gullen's winning time of 16:18.4 was just amazing in those conditions!
I did 21:28.1 - mixed feelings really - on Fri/Sat I thought I'd be too ill to ride so really pleased I managed it. I enjoyed the first few miles - the steeper part - and felt I was going well, but then I just couldn't combat that brutal headwind on the second half - I was getting blown all over the place... lots of work still to do!
(PS I really only turned up for the FREE beer)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Thanks for coming Colin - lovely to see you!
Rob3rt's 19:14.9 was fantastic - took some good scalps there coming in at 6th!
Yes James Gullen's winning time of 16:18.4 was just amazing in those conditions!
I did 21:28.1 - mixed feelings really - on Fri/Sat I thought I'd be too ill to ride so really pleased I managed it. I enjoyed the first few miles - the steeper part - and felt I was going well, but then I just couldn't combat that brutal headwind on the second half - I was getting blown all over the place... lots of work still to do!
(PS I really only turned up for the FREE beer)

I recognise very few names on the start sheet and not sure who DNS'd, will have to see the results when they come through as I didn't look at the board in the HQ. Good boost of confidence the week before the nationals though :smile:

Top Bottom