Mow Cop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Results:

CraggResults.jpg

That's a bloody good ride @dr_pink, I didn't know your time until now, especially given that headwind which will have really affected you a lot being so light.

Last edited:
dr_pink actually a bit disappointed with that, but she shouldn't be, working very long hours, not feeling great and then the icing on the cake, we were booked into the Premier Inn by the M62 at Huddersfield with a room facing the motorway. The next bit you couldn't make it up, the highways folk decided to rip up the inside lane nearest to us, the noise was horrendous and this went on until 6am so very little sleep.
Here is a photo I took at the same time as Colin [only I must have pressed the right button :smile:] dr_pink had just gone past the rider in the background.
craggvale_zps27508e60.jpg

Great to see you again Colin, your new lighter weight definitely suits you. Once again hats off to Rob, stonking ride.

To almost finish off the thread by saying to Rob3rt who finished just outside the top 50 in the National Hill Climb Championships which is a fantastic result, he probably will not think so, but that field of 160 hill climbers was pure class, and it is his first season. The weather was atrocious, warming up was damn difficult without being soaked to the bone before you started. The women also had a class field with nowhere to hide with only 18 entered, unfortunately for the last 4 or 5 the weather turned really nasty so congrats to them for doing it, dr_pink came 5th, taking some very good scalps along the way and is now curled up on the sofa with a glass of port, chapeau!
When I get a link to some pictures I will post it on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

VamP

Banned
To almost finish off the thread by saying to Rob3rt who finished just outside the top 50 in the National Hill Climb Championships which is a fantastic result, he probably will not think so, but that field of 160 hill climbers was pure class, and it is his first season. The weather was atrocious, warming up was damn difficult without being soaked to the bone before you started. The women also had a class field with nowhere to hide with only 18 entered, unfortunately for the last 4 or 5 the weather turned really nasty so congrats to them for doing it, dr_pink came 5th, taking some very good scalps along the way and is now curled up on the sofa with a glass of port, chapeau!

Well done to both.

I've dipped my toe in the waters of hill climbing this year with a couple of local races, and really enjoyed them. Unfortunately, there's a full on clash with the cross season, but I do want to do a few more next year. Great fun and a friendly scene.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Congratulations Rob3rt and dr_pink on your results in the Nationals!

As for Cragg Vale ... You will be impressed to know that I did my own unofficial HC up there at the weekend over the official route and took ...

... a mightily underwhelming 35 mins 15 secs! ^_^

Conditions were not as windy as when you did the HC the previous weekend. I guess the wind was only about half as strong. There were some traffic lights which cost me about 20 seconds, and I was talking to someone for half the climb which cost me about another 40 seconds. I wasn't able to make any real effort because my breathing has been problematic again for the past week. It looks as if I won't be threatening your times in the foreseeable future! :laugh:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I have obviously drunk too much coffee, but to answer your question, the big one is next week,
here, then dr_pink has the final one of the season in Suffolk of all places :smile:.

Is that the one in Suffolk this Sunday in Semer ? If so I may take a gander over

Last edited:
Is the one in Suffolk this Sunday in Semer ? If so I may take a gander over
It is indeed, details http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83054
It would be great to see you, it is actually Helen's birthday that day so she might do something a bit left of centre on the climb. She is actually ranked as the quickest woman but as she has zero fast twitch muscles in her body a 500m not so steep hill is not really her thing [likes 18 - 25%, certifiable] so she is going to have a bit of fun with this one :smile:.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
To almost finish off the thread by saying
NotWorthy2.gif
to Rob3rt who finished just outside the top 50 in the National Hill Climb Championships which is a fantastic result, he probably will not think so, but that field of 160 hill climbers was pure class, and it is his first season. The weather was atrocious, warming up was damn difficult without being soaked to the bone before you started. The women also had a class field with nowhere to hide with only 18 entered, unfortunately for the last 4 or 5 the weather turned really nasty so congrats to them for doing it, dr_pink came 5th, taking some very good scalps along the way and is now curled up on the sofa with a glass of port, chapeau!

Thanks for the nice comments mate. I don't know how pleased I am with that result tbh. At the end of the day it is a top 3rd of the field placing, but it is just outside the top 50, irritating, lol. That said, if I had been in the top 50, I would have been obsessing about being top 40 or top 25% etc as I always feel that I want more, to do better, I suppose that is what keeps me interested and wanting to compete! I managed to beat a few riders I thought would beat me too so that is something! Let's consider it a statement of intent for next year (although Pea Royd is not going to play to my strengths at all)!

The conditions were awful yes, I warmed up on the turbo, but by the time I got off of it and swapped to my race rear wheel, I was frozen solid, utterly futile. I do love a nasty weather climb though, so going up, I didn't mind so much (I figured everyone would be struggling equally with warming up), coming down though, I felt awful, it took me longer to get down the hill than to go up.

Well done to Helen, sounds like a great ride, I had actually intended to come early and watch the women's and cheer Helen on and also to see Sam from Buxton and wish him luck before he set off in the juniors event, but with the weather, it was just too much and I stayed in the car.

These are the best photos I could find of the National Hill Climb, Rob3rt on page three [where else!] and dr_pink [Helen] on page eight. http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/gall...h-hill-climb-national-championships-2013.html.

Thanks for that link, I had not seen those ones. Page 3 is rather fitting, I am becoming quite regular in my baring all but the money shot following a race :tongue: There is a pretty epic picture of me on page 2 as well and another on page 11 :smile:

Check out VeloUK's pictures too, he got some good ones. He was placed near the foot of the climb on the steep section when he snapped me.

CroppedNatHC.jpg

Last edited:
Video, Helen is on here, as are you @totallyfixed, sneaking on on the action descending back down with Helen, hehe :smile: They didn't catch me on camera, my team mate Chris was caught though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WfiHx9mi4E

Yep, saw that on the TT forum, good thing they didn't film Helen a couple of hundred meters further down, she was off the bike hacking the mess out that had been on her chest, if only she had been recovered I think she could have had a shot at the podium, oh well always next year.................maybe:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom