MTB SPDs and MTB shoes on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Thinking of investing in some clipless pedals and shoes for the first time. Does anyone use MTB SPDs and shoes on a road bike? Thinking of this option rather than standard road shoes and road pedals as it seems cheaper and perhaps easier for someone not used to being clipped in.

Drago

Legendary Member
From what I see on the road, the majority of folk use touring/MTB SPD. I don't know that is any easier, though double sided jobs are nice in urban traffic.

To counter that, I have seen the occasional rider with SPD SLs on their MTBs, and even followed one chap many years ago who had what appeared to be Look clipless pedals. He sighed quite a lot at each muddy patch.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's not unusual as Tom Jones would sing.
Indeed. I swapped to them after my foot slipped off a Look pedal on a 25% climb and I nearly got a mouthful of roadside Green Green Grass of Home! :laugh:

Thanks people. I am unclear whether cleats are normally included with shoes or if you have to buy them separately?
The cleats come with the pedals.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've used SPD on all bikes for the past few years, and only a couple of weeks back put SPD-SL's on my 'Summer' road bike, simply because my SPD shoes had become very uncomfortable, so thought I'd give them a go. Didn't notice much difference TBH, and no issues with café stop in the SPD-SL's. That said, I will not be changing my commuting bike, so have bought a new pair of, hopefully comfy, SPD shoes...

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes. Ignore the model numbers other than the M

Shimano shoes can come up narrow and small. Order usual and size up, return the pair that doesn't fit...or both if neither do

Top Bottom