MTB SPDs and MTB shoes on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have those pedals on my tourer. I actually prefer them to the higher spec XT ones that are similar. Didn't those shoes win some award last year?

Drago

Legendary Member
I've found M540s to be the sweet spot for weight, price, and slick operation, though don't feel you've been short changed if you can only afford 520s, they're still robust and capable.

betty swollocks

large member
I use Eggbeaters.
Cleats (slightly different from spd's) can be worn with mtb-type shoes with the recess and two-screw fixing.
I find Eggbeaters more secure than spd's, but also easier to engage with their four-point entry and easier to disengage too.
I like being able to walk normally in cycling shoes and honestly don't see the point in road shoes, where you can't.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use m530s for commuting , on the weekender as i call it i use A 600s , single sided pedals that look very roadie if your bothered about looks , never got on with m520s personally as i find the platform a bit small because of my awesome powah :whistle:, plenty of riders find them fine .
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-a600-spd-touring-pedals/
shimano-a600-pedal.jpg

screenman

Legendary Member
I use m530s for commuting , on the weekender as i call it i use A 600s , single sided pedals that look very roadie if your bothered about looks , never got on with m520s personally as i find the platform a bit small because of my awesome powah :whistle:, plenty of riders find them fine .
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-a600-spd-touring-pedals/
View attachment 348476

I got those on my 29er, nice platform.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I went clipless for the first time last week, I was persuaded by a mate to get the SPD SL version (single sided). I have done 3 rides on them and have adjusted okay and notice things seem tighter and more responsive still, compared to toe straps. The most awkward thing I have found is clipping my left foot back in when I re-start after having to stop, but seem to be getting the hang of that now. However, I did slip and crack my left ankle last time out, but nothing more than a bit of a bruise and some choice words at the time.

I am thinking about trying the MTB version on my other bike though, and possibly even replacing the ones I have just bought as well. The reason being that if you had to walk any distance on your exposed cleats, such as if you had a mechanical failure and couldn't fix it, it would be a nightmare and the cleats, and most probably the shoes as well, would be ruined, whereas with the MTB version the cleats are recessed, it seems, so an enforced lengthy stroll wouldn't be as expensive.

rockpig

Über Member
I use A600s on my road bike. I'd also recommend the multi-release cleats over the standard ones that come with the pedals, especially if new to clipless. Being able to literally yank my foot out of the pedal has avoided a few "clipless moments". It's probably a reflection on the state of my knees but I find it easier to unclip by turning my ankle inwards on the non-drive side too, and multi-release cleats allow this.

si_c

Guru
I'd go with either A600s or M530s, the larger platform means I find them more comfortable plus if you are just nipping to the shops you can use trainers easily too as they give better support.

Personally though I would use SPDs not the road version for all the reasons above. I've seen too many people crab dancing in road shoes if they have any distance to walk. I find that a sense of smug superiority suits me well :becool:

vickster

Legendary Member
I hated A600s, single sided, pita to clip into for me, swapped for M520s. Way too small (dug into feet through soles) and slippy to wear with trainers too

Don't get on with multi release cleats either, probably as I'm used to the ordinary ones, dodgy knees too

Top Bottom