Muddyfox blade - decent bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DC88

Hey Guys,

as im sure you can see by my post count I am pretty new to this forum and thought I would ask some experts opinion on a bike. Basically my situation is this - I am a student with two more years of uni, Im often on placements and want to use a bike to get there so I can get some exercise and generally enjoy the commute to work. Im currently on an old raleigh mountain bike that was won at a police auction and throws its chain off every other time you change gear.

So im looking to upgrade within a student budget (preferably <£200, 300 at a push) and after hours of ebaying found this bike on amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Muddyfox-Bl...WARRANTY/dp/B005G8FYJI/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp).
Its within price range, but to be honest after shopping around (even on ebay) that makes me a little worried. What would some of you more experienced riders think? I need this to last for 2 years at least when I hopefully can get something on a cycle to work scheme. I know about the downtube gear shift which I hear is a bit of a pain, but there's none within budget which dont have this feature it seems....

Thanks in advance

D

galactico

save an extra ton and look at this
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/triban-3-173178017/
you could get a better second hand bike than the muddy fox IMO

+1 for 2nd hand. Check out ebay and similar sites. I would never recommend anyone buying a new bike for £160 tbh. I appreciate it has a 12 month warranty, and that's good because you'll need it, but it won't help you get to lectures while it's away being repaired, (regularly).

The Decathlon bikes get good reviews, so if you can muster the extra £140 go for that, if not defo buy used :thumbsup:

If you buy wisely you can even sell it on when you've done with it, (assuming you don't want to keep it), whereas the Muddy Fox probably wouldn't be fit to give away let alone sell on.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
MuddyFox are a good make. My first bike (mountain bike) was a MuddyFox SilverFox. My race bike is a MuddyFox Milano Carva SE (long name). They are a good make and if you can afford it, buy a new one but if not, go second hand. Some people take good care of their bikes (not me, got 2 rust buckets in the back garden).

the snail

Guru
Maybe your best bet would be to fix up the Raleigh - the gear change problem sounds like it should be a straightforward adjustment. I think the Muddy Fox have a poor reputation these daqys.

MuddyFox are a good make. My first bike (mountain bike) was a MuddyFox SilverFox. My race bike is a MuddyFox Milano Carva SE (long name).
I have to disagree on that one Buddy. Muddy Fox were a good make, but since they became part of Universal Cycles in 2001, (thanks Wikipedia), they have simply become mass producers of questionable BSO's. (no offence, if you've got a good 'un, happy days).

My first MTB was actually a Muddy Fox. A Muddy Fox Courier with lilac to white fade colourway!, circa 1988. It cost £300 and I went 50:50 with my parents as a Christmas present as it was soooooo expensive! That's when MF were considered a good make. FWIW this was the frameset, (this is not mine, it's the only pic I could find).

227856_10150178292677552_570402551_6634993_3723038_n.jpg

OP
OP
D

DC88

wow thanks for the quick responses!

It looks like I was right to have a few worries. The idea of sorting out the bike I had was something I did think of but the gears were only one aspect of what was going wrong, it really isnt a fixer job, especially with my knowledge of bikes being limited.

Both those suggestions look pretty good, I notice the viking has got the old style gears. I have a mate that used to ride a really old road bike with those and said they were a bit of a fiddle. Do they really effect the ride and is it worth pushing for the triban for that reason? Also which would hold value better? The idea about selling on is really good, because as soon as I can get cycle to work scheme I will probably sell it anyway.

Thanks for your help guys, this will be my first road bike so sorry if these questions are quite general/simple

D

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
My bike has the old style gears. But you get used to the bike you have if you use it regularly enough. I have got used to the old style shifters, they can be fiddly (dont wear baggy pants), but never get scratched because the handlebars prevent them from touching the ground.
100_0781.jpg

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
wow thanks for the quick responses!

It looks like I was right to have a few worries. The idea of sorting out the bike I had was something I did think of but the gears were only one aspect of what was going wrong, it really isnt a fixer job, especially with my knowledge of bikes being limited.

Both those suggestions look pretty good, I notice the viking has got the old style gears. I have a mate that used to ride a really old road bike with those and said they were a bit of a fiddle. Do they really effect the ride and is it worth pushing for the triban for that reason? Also which would hold value better? The idea about selling on is really good, because as soon as I can get cycle to work scheme I will probably sell it anyway.

Thanks for your help guys, this will be my first road bike so sorry if these questions are quite general/simple

D

The Viking I have doesn't have Down Tube Shifters but rather trigger shifters on the flats. I know some of the same model do use DT shifters.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
save an extra ton and look at this
http://www.decathlon...an-3-173178017/
you could get a better second hand bike than the muddy fox IMO

I would agree with this carbon forks and only just over ten kilos with STI's is a cracking buy at that price for a new bike. Otherwise look at second hand and ask for advice on here if you are contemplating one on ebay or the like.

albion

Guru
My main worry is that they are quoting 10KG which is ultra light.Tesco also sell it at £140(£130 with the £10 voucher) and they quote a more real weight of 12KG.Sports Direct online also sell the Muddyfox Swift with a rrp supposedly £100 more at £170.However it looks nothing too special either but has to be better.

I did notice in-store that they had a Muddy Fox hybrid at £130 or so. Probably not too light but very good value being an Acera gear type Shimano 21 speed rapid EZ fire.

edit - its now on-line, costs £140 and is called the Flo and for some reason is classed as a womans bike. £140 is with mudguards too.

Hip Priest

Veteran
If you £300 is your maximum, the old-style Carrera Virtuoso from Halfords has just gone down to £289.99. I've got one and it's a bloody good bike for the money.

OP
OP
D

DC88

Another quick opinion question then (thanks again to everyones input). Is it better to get a cheap road bike or a good hybrid? Like I said i will be using it for commuting in the majority and so wont be going intentionally off road at any point. However Ive been looking on ebay and there are some good carl boardman bikes (hybrids) for similar prices. I know from reputation they are supposed to be quite good arnt they?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHRIS-BOA...=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2a139ddfa2#ht_500wt_898

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Chri...=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2a1371f021#ht_500wt_898

Top Bottom