mudguards on the club run

are mudguards compulsory on your club's winter club runs?

• yes

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • no

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • encouraged, but not officially enforced

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • well the pros don't bother, why should we?

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was back a my old club over Christmas and it was a recurring theme mudguards on club runs and still is on their Faceboke page. I had them because they are really needed on the grimy roads up there but I lost the rear of my SKS race blades longs on the last day. I was back out down here yesterday and nobody had them but they weren't too crucial as the roads were clean and dry but they would have needed them today :rain::rain::rain:I doubt anybody had them though :ohmy: Thankfully I wasn't out :ohmy:

A1Se16

Reading all these comments I feel bad not having mudguards on my bike!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I just took the mudguards off my #2 bike for winter. In order to accommodate spiky anti-ice tyres which wouldn't fit otherwise.
So you should, unless of course you never ride with somebody behind you.
Well, some people do ride behind me momentarily as I trundle along making a noise like a light aeroplane with my iron shod tyres. But they soon get bored and overtake.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mudguards are for wimps....

Attachment-1.jpeg

Considering this was following a Tandem with full SKS guards.....who needs 'em.

I called at Squires café today, whilst out, & was quite surprised by the number of club-cyclists there
http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/
Normally it's mainly bikers, but today, 'we' outnumbered them 4 - 1^_^

It turned out, that it was the start/finish point of the Seacroft Wheelers reliability ride
http://gallery.myff.org/gallery/2029955/80k+routesheet13.pdf
Most of the riders were on mud-guarded machines, but there was a lot of filthy bodies around
That said, given the state of the roads, they'll have been riding on, no wonder, with the vehicles spraying them

As I'd been out solo, barring my feet, & a few splashes from passing traffic, I looked fairly pristine in comparison

Top Bottom