mudguards on the club run

are mudguards compulsory on your club's winter club runs?

• yes

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • no

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • encouraged, but not officially enforced

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • well the pros don't bother, why should we?

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Clubrun with mudguards = 12mph
Cubrun without mudguards = 18mph.

Means nothing at all, I have done loads of 20mph clubs runs in the past with mud guards. My first ride for a long time last week was 17mph with guards.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Clubrun with mudguards = 12mph
Cubrun without mudguards = 18mph.
6mph difference? What are your mudguards made from?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
30+ years I've been cycling but it's only been 'mudguarded' for the last 4.
My new (then) tourer had them already fitted and before I even took it out for a test ride I'd fabricated mudflaps and fitted them.
The current ones catch pretty much everything. I was even thanked by a fellow clubmate a few weeks ago for having gone to to the effort of f&r mudflaps.
They may not be kewl and trendy to some, but I think they look the bees knees and I can ride knowing I'm one of the nice guys :smile:
Nearly 40 years riding here and apart from a few years in the 80s only with full mudguards in the last year. The only complaint I received in that time was that my new mudguards didn't stop the rider behind me getting a face full of carp! Clearly I need to add mudflaps too. When I had no guards at all I never had a complaint ....

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have recently got myself a winter bike (which has also scratched a retro itch) with full mudguards. It's much easier to wash down after a wet ride, but I'm not adding long flaps to it for the benefit of anyone!

I've been out a few times with a local Triathlon Club, & on one ride (even though there was only 5 of us), I was the only one with mudguards

The last time, it was a very wet day, so it made an incentive to either drop further off the back, or keep shoulder-shoulder with the leader - particularly as part of the route was along a road used by trucks after leaving the Land-Fill site

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
It makes sense to me, following someone in the rain without is pretty horrible, especially if you have the guards on and others don't.

I'm no longer a club member so I don't know the rules.

simongt

Guru
My tourer is fitted with full SKS mudguards but I had to recently fitted extensions front & back made from a sheet of corrugated plastic. Front, because it keeps my feet protected from road spray in the rain and back because I'm nice person and I consider those behind me - !:sun:
I always keep well away from any bike with knobbly tyres, as they kick up a LOT of spray - !:rain:

ACE14_STG2_GB-461.jpg

Get out mountain biking, it will put a bit of spray off a roadbike into context. :tongue::whistle:
Unless you're out on rural roads, amongst the farm machinery, after it's been in the fields

I always keep well away from any bike with knobbly tyres, as they kick up a LOT of spray - !:rain:
I would have thought the converse, as there's not as much rubber contacting the ground (or road anyway)

However, I took part in a race on Saturday ('Harriers v Cyclists') & on the open moorland, where the grass/peat was sodden, there was a lot thrown up by the bikes (CX & MTB), I got wetter from their 'rooster-tails', when running behind them, than from splashing through everything

Attachments

• ACE14_STG2_GB-461.jpg
    ACE14_STG2_GB-461.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 74

simongt

Guru
As ' standard ' mudguards, even SKS rarely extend down far enough to be really effective, by judicious use of some corrugated plastic, I've extended the bottom of my front & rear mudguards by about 10cm each to be very effective at one - keeping tyre spray off my feet and two - stopping spray getting in the face of any rider who happens to be that close behind - ! :thumbsup: Simply cut and bend the pieces into the shape of the mudguard, drill a couple of holes through mudguard and its extension and bolt into place. Make sure you use stainless steel nuts & bolts though - !

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Mudguards aren't compulsory on our winter club run but strongly encouraged. It's a question of consideration.

Last Sunday I wore my brand new, very expensive new winter club jacket. Guy in front, who I'd avoided following for 40+ miles, went through an oily puddle without mudguards. Took me an hour to get all the oil spits of the jacket!!

Top Bottom