mudguards on the club run

are mudguards compulsory on your club's winter club runs?

• yes

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • no

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • encouraged, but not officially enforced

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • well the pros don't bother, why should we?

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mudguards aren't compulsory on our winter club run but strongly encouraged. It's a question of consideration.

Last Sunday I wore my brand new, very expensive new winter club jacket. Guy in front, who I'd avoided following for 40+ miles, went through an oily puddle without mudguards. Took me an hour to get all the oil spits of the jacket!!

I know the feeling, new jacket here too, went out with the local Triathlon club, I was only one with 'guards, & 'ditto', it turned spotty (& still is!!)

On arrival back home, that day
Not sure when, but I have a beard (or goatee) every year, between October (my birthday) & April (daughter b/day)

Selfie. 1.jpg

simongt

Guru
Last Sunday I wore my brand new, very expensive new winter club jacket. Guy in front, who I'd avoided following for 40+ miles, went through an oily puddle without mudguards. Took me an hour to get all the oil spits of the jacket!!

Maybe that's why I see so many club riders wearing black jackets nowadays; doesn't show the muck & oily spray - !

screenman

Legendary Member
Yebbut, Many don't.

Stay on the front, simples.

Yebbut, I respect other people, many do not.

Besides that it does your ego a power of good to be in there on a bike with guards, lights, saddle bag and rack on, where some others are on their best kit.
and a rack

It was one of those funny days today when the only times I got splattered by the bike in front was the ones with full sks mudguards.

e-rider

crappy member
the problem is many off-the-peg bikes today don't allow for mudguards so people simply don't bother or use small clip-on things
25 years ago, most road bikes used by club riders would have had clearance for mudguards and often eyelets too although people just used p-clips if not
attitudes towards mudguards have changed a lot too over 25 years - people are happier now to use their washing machines more frequently, and to soil up their kit every ride, I assume to buy new kit more frequently too, as personal wealth has increased much during this time
the question today is really about respecting the rider behind you on a clubrun rather than yourself - my clubruns are mixed with mudguard/non-mudguard users but I never ride behind someone without mudguards if it's wet - this works in my club but I know others clubs that implement stricter riding formations this could be a problem. And as a side note about riding formations - I appreciate the need for safety when riding in a 20+ group along B roads but these twats that bark orders at people when they let a 2m gap open up are just farking idiots - get a life it's just a clubrun.

Top Bottom