mudguards on the club run

are mudguards compulsory on your club's winter club runs?

• yes

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • no

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • encouraged, but not officially enforced

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • well the pros don't bother, why should we?

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Bingo. Mudguards are not hugely of value unless they have very long flaps that almost touch the ground (sometimes they can be worst than no mudguards) BUT if you getting spray from a mudguardless bike full in yer face IMO you are riding too close for the conditions.
Not bingo: IMO any mudguard reaching below the axle cuts out a lot of the thicker clingier muddier spray from reaching those riding behind you, so it's polite to have them if you ride in groups or high-traffic areas, as well as kinder to your bike. It's just not going to get 100% in the worst conditions, though.

martint235

Dog on a bike
How can mudguards " diminish the experience of riding" ?

I have bikes with and without mudguards. Neither diminishes the experience of riding.

It just sounds like a sentence to try and support a point. It doesnt.
It's the drag innit.

My bike with mudguards is far slower than without them. It can only be the mudguards creating drag at pace.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not bingo: IMO any mudguard reaching below the axle cuts out a lot of the thicker clingier muddier spray from reaching those riding behind you, so it's polite to have them if you ride in groups or high-traffic areas, as well as kinder to your bike. It's just not going to get 100% in the worst conditions, though.
My point was that they are far from perfect as people would have us believe and you can still get plenty sprayed behind full mudguards unless they have a full extension which most IME don't.
If you're getting sprayed by the rider in front ride slightly to one side or out of the spray zone.

Alternatively just enjoy the free food, water and organic face pack.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cannot agree with any of that.

BaXItIwCMAEPuuH.png

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
ACE14_STG2_GB-461.jpg

Get out mountain biking, it will put a bit of spray off a roadbike into context. :tongue::whistle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I really don't understand the no-mudguards fad at all. I remember taking my mudguards off to do some job or other, leaving them off afterwards. I was maybe 14 at the time. I put 'em back pretty smartish first time out in the wet. I would never have a bike without mudguards, it's just horrid getting a dirty wet stripe up your back soaking you from your arse right up to the top of your head. And "they" say mudguards aren't cool for some reason

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Cycle solo and make your own rules
Do what you like, ride alone, don't expect to be welcome on a wet club run, and give me a wide berth when you come past. I hope those mountain bikers weren't expecting to be welcomed at a cafe any time soon, either.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
30+ years I've been cycling but it's only been 'mudguarded' for the last 4.
My new (then) tourer had them already fitted and before I even took it out for a test ride I'd fabricated mudflaps and fitted them.
The current ones catch pretty much everything. I was even thanked by a fellow clubmate a few weeks ago for having gone to to the effort of f&r mudflaps.
They may not be kewl and trendy to some, but I think they look the bees knees and I can ride knowing I'm one of the nice guys :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My point was that they are far from perfect as people would have us believe and you can still get plenty sprayed behind full mudguards unless they have a full extension which most IME don't.
If you're getting sprayed by the rider in front ride slightly to one side or out of the spray zone.

Alternatively just enjoy the free food, water and organic face pack.
Indeed. The biggest benefit of mudguards is to yourself and your bike, and equally in the rain /wet you're a dick if you try to draft as close as you would in the dry.

Top Bottom