Mudguards to fit disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason

Could any of you explain why the stays have to be bent?
I took the full length mudguards off my old bike before selling,and hoping they will fit the rapid.
Haven't offered them up to the bike yet,but it's on the "to do" list

Last edited:

lazyfatgit

The brake caliber prevents the stays going from the eye on the dropout to the mudguard fixing in a straight line. You have to bend it around.

gaijintendo

Veteran
The brake caliber prevents the stays going from the eye on the dropout to the mudguard fixing in a straight line. You have to bend it around.

Either that, or add a while bunch of spacers, which I find moderately unattractive.

I got a pair of front guards with one stay (lifeline, from wiggle) to try that out and it simplified things up front. Though I can't for the guard at the back because of the band on front derailleur makes the clearance a bit tight. Commuting on the fixie til I figure that one out.

22point8

nRkYwxrjRhel8ekthDz3rKBbrKDUjnaFIfaGUSWn3SHltUP2HQFIBTShdIn0xyzSarzkbUiW4ffEjk70aZA=w503-h670-no.jpg

iJ9pKJkmvxdZiFSC2MGlxte4MpXVgkwy9Sw2zDAmeGpP2uRM9yKxwXTBnpjLobCaXwa1JMiiWdcDU08Ndrg=w503-h670-no.jpg

U76g5gEcb-jxZWPGF2SbjW1QJTs2o4orkDNXwnXvZtNNNOA5vqT6nNQ_I216mqhKtdy6NQBHSX0PHjAvtMg=w503-h670-no.jpg

WRxpKfPTDD6kg3vUhe2LbVgiefVWBYDqMLhAKUoIlf5t1-A2-nTQ8OoCcZoOhoqoznbMM_lf_75KwZAWqkw=w503-h670-no.jpg

ubNSQdhuZeYrzQCX_JfPrL93Z-ncY9Qg-p6TtvP3ryTHmzI46H2oV13hY4xiFaOzHY1IH3QhXuQ0FmUgoww=w503-h670-no.jpg

vqwboRJJrbbqhPuUSSo-zDSLXqXcijOLF3UxKqNHsWtua6F-luSznEi-VV5fUJZhqL0wwZwObeKVwwM5cTg=w894-h670-no.jpg

Use spacers to make up the difference from the mounting holes to the width that your qr skewers stick out, search ebay for m5 spacers of the nearest thickness and factor in the length of m5 a4 bolts you need. For my rear mudguard I use a button head m5 a3 bolt at the vertical brake bridge and a computer style cross head/8mm hex m5 bolt.

These are the mudguards, they have adjustable stay placement but might have goofy dynamo popper type things on them depending on size. Mine have no rattle at all because of the vertical bridge mounting and stay positioning.
https://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/products/700c-35-45c-hybrid-full-mudguards-black

I don't recommend m:tongue:art primoplastics, the stay mounts snap easily.

Last edited:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
just installed a pair of bontrager mudguards onto my boardman cx comp. at £40 they weren't cheap (from evans), but the stays don't need to be cut, due to a neat engineering solution. the front stays fitted fine, just enough clearance on the disc brake side to screw in to the mudguard fitting.

they seem very good quality and feel stable and secure; not test ridden yet though.

https://www.evanscycles.com/bontrager-ncs-road-mudguards-EV138150

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I solved the mudguard stay/disc caliper interface problem by fitting Berthoud stainless steel mudguards, which have a single pair of stays that pass below the caliper

Top Bottom