Multiple bikes = multiples positions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have the more than one bike:
  • MTB front suspension
  • MTB rigid
  • Flat bar road bike
  • Drop bar road bike
I ride all of these frequently. But I find that it takes one or two rides to adjust from one bike to the other.
They all fit me well, but due to the different geometries, they all use slightly different muscles. So, question is, do you just accept that they’re all different and ride each differently or do you try and replicate your ideal body position on every bike?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have 3 bikes and they are all set up for same saddle height and same saddle set back from KOPS , i know KOPS is not to everyones taste but its a start point and works for me better than saddle setback if your bikes have different seat tube angles.
Both roadies are set up for reach to within a few mm .
The rigid MTB has a shorter reach but thats down to the flat bar position , so the answer is yes i try to replicate my body position .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
+1 re cyberknights comment i try and get all saddle hieghts the same , then try and get tip of saddle to centre line of bars measurement the same , does not always work but gets me close . once each bike is set up can normally swap between with no agro

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Carrera to Secteur is a bit of an issue for me; trainers to clipless, Sora to 105. It's probably time I went clipless on the Carrera, particularly as I've already bought the pedals :rolleyes:

The MTB to either road bike seems to be simpler. I'm not sure why, but that's not clipless and has the Deore system. I find the MTB to the Carrera the easiest.

The seats are set well back on all 3, mainly because I've got short legs and a long body. Yes, I'm a gorilla :smile:

Norm

I use 5 regularly. Each is different in terms of reach, drop & BB-height, although the BB to saddle relationship is fairly consistent.

Also, as they are different styles (hard tail, rigid MTB, CX, and flat and drop-barred roadies), they have different pedals, bar widths, rims & tyres, brake types, drives (one even has egg-shaped chain rings) materials... etc.

However, and it might be because I do vary them regularly but I don't have much problem switching, even doing it mid-ride if The Boy wants to try whatever I'm riding. They do use different muscles but you can use that to your advantage by riding different bikes & terrain on consecutive days, letting some things recover.

Mtb, flat bar commuter thingy and drop bar bike, all have the same seat height and set back, although reach varies greatly. I don't ride the mtb much, but when i do, I find the muscle below my my bum twinges a little for a couple of rides. Then I change again :-)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I use 3 regularly in the summer (starting from today :smile:): 2 road bikes and flat bar town bike. A 4th bike (a flat bar road bike, a sirrus which was converted to drops) is retired to the turbo. The two road bikes are set up similarly with regard to seat height and setback close to a bike fit output but the frame of one is 1cm bigger and its bars are 42cm compared to 40cm on the other road bike, It doesn't cause me a problem. The town bike is also set up to a bike fit based on the same input data as the roadbike fit but iirc it saddle is 2.5mm lower and setback 2.5mm less, as its cranks are 175mm (as oppose to 172.5mm on the road bikes). The sirrus also has 175mm cranks and I also found that it was better to have its saddle lower and set back less.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Carrera to Secteur is a bit of an issue for me; trainers to clipless, Sora to 105. It's probably time I went clipless on the Carrera, particularly as I've already bought the pedals :rolleyes:

The MTB to either road bike seems to be simpler. I'm not sure why, but that's not clipless and has the Deore system. I find the MTB to the Carrera the easiest.

The seats are set well back on all 3, mainly because I've got short legs and a long body. Yes, I'm a gorilla :smile:
Surely you should have your saddle setback the same and vary reach by stem length + spacers to replicate position for the torso?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Surely you should have your saddle setback the same and vary reach by stem length + spacers to replicate position for the torso?

I should, but the Carrera's a 56 with the Secteur a 54. The saddle setback is now the same and I've got a much shorter stem coming for the Carrera. That will hopefully sort things.

Top Bottom