Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I am designing a dining table I will be making for us later this year, and I thought I would seek guidance from the mundane community. It's a big oak table (seating 8 ordinarily, 10 with an extension), in a Jacobean style. Please choose from these pedestal ends:

View attachment 448239

View attachment 448240

These are the accompanying chairs, which will be upholstered in a heavy tapestry-like fabric, or leather. You can see the heavy old look I am trying to achieve.

View attachment 448241
Going to have to complete the "Gothic" look of the chairs so maybe one from the A to E design.
On the other hand my personal favourite is B in the first selection.

Nice project whichever you choose !

I am designing a dining table I will be making for us later this year, and I thought I would seek guidance from the mundane community. It's a big oak table (seating 8 ordinarily, 10 with an extension), in a Jacobean style. Please choose from these pedestal ends:

View attachment 448239

View attachment 448240

These are the accompanying chairs, which will be upholstered in a heavy tapestry-like fabric, or leather. You can see the heavy old look I am trying to achieve.

View attachment 448241
Is this a spot the difference test ? :whistle:

View attachment 448239

View attachment 448240

View attachment 448241

Table A or D: they have more space for sitting at them because the legs taper more. D takes this further but the join at the apex is more complex.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
-4F or -20 C here today. 8 inches of snow on the ground.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Table A or D: they have more space for sitting at them because the legs taper more. D takes this further but the join at the apex is more complex.

Yes, I agree. I was thinking about if you are the person sat near a leg (of the table) designs A to D give more room. @MikeG gives me the impression that he enjoins complex joyery.

I was just thinking! What happened to people who lost their homes in the War ? Did they get re homed or get compensation as they don't seem to mention it in documentaries ?

The government discovered early on that a lot of people in the cities didn't have a second home in the country, so there would need to be some provision. The original plan was for bombed out people to live in the London Underground for the rest of the war, drinking NAFFI cocoa and having cheerful sing songs while knitting socks for Our Boys On The Front, but then it got a bit crowded with all the people from Birmingham and Sheffield moving south and it became jolly hard for important people to use the trains, so the UKGov designed emergency prefab housing.

I remember there were still a few of those 'temporary' prefab buildings about in forgotten corners of the country when I lived there: There were certainly some when I lived near Lynton in Devon. From memory they were made a bit like concrete fencing, with panels and corrugate asbestos roofs, so I'm sure they'd have been pretty damp.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, I agree. I was thinking about if you are the person sat near a leg (of the table) designs A to D give more room. @MikeG gives me the impression that he enjoins complex joyery.
If he goes for "E", he'll have to build one of these first.
2f666c90bcd53c94cc31c9f887218e99.jpg

The government discovered early on that a lot of people in the cities didn't have a second home in the country, so there would need to be some provision. The original plan was for bombed out people to live in the London Underground for the rest of the war, drinking NAFFI cocoa and having cheerful sing songs while knitting socks for Our Boys On The Front, but then it got a bit crowded with all the people from Birmingham and Sheffield moving south and it became jolly hard for important people to use the trains, so the UKGov designed emergency prefab housing.

I remember there were still a few of those 'temporary' prefab buildings about in forgotten corners of the country when I lived there: There were certainly some when I lived near Lynton in Devon. From memory they were made a bit like concrete fencing, with panels and corrugate asbestos roofs, so I'm sure they'd have been pretty damp.
I was wondering as they don't mention what happened. You couldn't claim on your insurance policy as acts of war aren't covered.
I can remember the Pre Fabs around here most of which were replaced in the 60's. There were still some in Bristol some years ago and the people living in them really liked them and didn't want to move.

Top Bottom