Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Yes, I agree. I was thinking about if you are the person sat near a leg (of the table) designs A to D give more room. @MikeG gives me the impression that he enjoins complex joyery.

No, seriously, people sit between the legs. The lower drawing shows the legs (with the chairs put away), and the upper one illustrates the width of each place setting (600mm = 2 feet). That's huge, and means absolutely no-one is anywhere near the legs. The shape of the legs will make no difference to anyone's comfort:

N3kuRyW.jpg

MikeG

Guru
If he goes for "E", he'll have to build one of these first.
View attachment 448279

I was offered a treadle lathe last week, but they eat space. If I ever have a lathe (and I had cause to use one at a friend's place last week), I'll get an electrical one.

postman

Legendary Member
The Company heating man has turned up,our own heating man could not find the fault,or he did know what it was,it's all over YouTube.So Company doing the repair.Glad to say we have a five year cover with them,this could cost up to £300 otherwise,Mr and Mrs Postman think it's a diverter valve,that is the common problem with our boiler on YT.we will soon find out.

This afternoon I have (amongst other things):

• Had a shower
  • Ordered some paint
(Not in that order)

D

Deleted member 1258

The government discovered early on that a lot of people in the cities didn't have a second home in the country, so there would need to be some provision. The original plan was for bombed out people to live in the London Underground for the rest of the war, drinking NAFFI cocoa and having cheerful sing songs while knitting socks for Our Boys On The Front, but then it got a bit crowded with all the people from Birmingham and Sheffield moving south and it became jolly hard for important people to use the trains, so the UKGov designed emergency prefab housing.

I remember there were still a few of those 'temporary' prefab buildings about in forgotten corners of the country when I lived there: There were certainly some when I lived near Lynton in Devon. From memory they were made a bit like concrete fencing, with panels and corrugate asbestos roofs, so I'm sure they'd have been pretty damp.

I remember the old prefabs, I'm sure there are a few still around. I think some people were quite pleased with them, they had been living in the slums and the prefabs were a big improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lost my Wallet in the bus in Saturday, along with bus/rail pass, health insurance card, most importantly my ID card, drivers licence, you know the drill... Doubly awkward as I want to take the boys naturalisation into the local gov early Tuesday morning and I'll need ID. Regret allowing UK passport to lapse.

Noticed yesterday morning, checked everything: coat, my bags, Xtracycle (it's unbelievable what I've lost for months in the Xtracycle), checked under bed in desk, behind sofa.

Checked again.

Locked cards in the afternoon, spent today calling around bus company, police, local council lost property. Last one was half an hour ago, bus company confirmed that they hadn't got it, I should check on Thursday,

Just started the process of informing health insurance companies, etc.

Sent several forms so far.

Pressed 'send' on the last one, and beautiful wife calls: "Why's your wallet in my hand bag?"

And... breathe...

Right, that's all the tree surgeoning for my friend done. Was done by lunchtime, have two large cases of logs, one ready to go, the other wanting seasoning prior to use. I also learnt that every single scrap of sheep's wool MUST be removed from the wood prior to sawing.

Came home to discover that the power company has come and coppiced some trees of mine that grow alongside one of the power lines. They do it every three or four years or so as there has to be a minimum clearance. No problems with that. It's just a permission form that wants signing, and a note to leave any wood that's bigger than 2 inches in diameter and shred / remove the rest.

This time, they've just cut the stuff and left it wherever it fell.

Guess who now has to clear it up. :cursing:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I am designing a dining table I will be making for us later this year, and I thought I would seek guidance from the mundane community. It's a big oak table (seating 8 ordinarily, 10 with an extension), in a Jacobean style. Please choose from these pedestal ends:

View attachment 448239

View attachment 448240

These are the accompanying chairs, which will be upholstered in a heavy tapestry-like fabric, or leather. You can see the heavy old look I am trying to achieve.

View attachment 448241

A

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I remember there were still a few of those 'temporary' prefab buildings about in forgotten corners of the country when I lived there: There were certainly some when I lived near Lynton in Devon. From memory they were made a bit like concrete fencing, with panels and corrugate asbestos roofs, so I'm sure they'd have been pretty damp.
I was born in a prefab, and lived there until I was six or seven. I don't remember it being damp (or, more accurately, I don't remember my parents complaining about it being damp) but it was cold. Paraffin heater in the kitchen for the winter, and the bedrooms used to get ice patterns on the inside of the windows.
The council made us move out because the prefabs were going to be demolished - and they were, about 30 years later. We got a nice brand-new council semi instead, so Mum was quite pleased about it.

Top Bottom