Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/datablog/2009/sep/02/carbon-emissions-per-person-capita

I'm ashamed to be Australian. :sad:

Our emissions per capita is double that of the UK and three times France's (in fact our total emissions equal's France, even though our population is 1/3 France's), and has increased 37% in just over 20 years.
Meanwhile, our PM can't be bothered attending climate action conferences, has been sucking up to Trump in the most disgusting way, and uses all sorts of weasel words and lame excuses for not making any emissions cut commitments.
Yes, before anyone mentions it, I have travelled to Europe by plane for several years in a row, and I wish there was a more environmentally friendly way to do that long trip that didn't take so much time.

The data in the above web page makes very depressing reading.

I know I should probably have posted this in the News... sub-forum, but I don't use that sub-forum, and just needed to get this off my chest.
And I don't like Trump, either. Four flusher.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have bought batteries from The Battery House.

There used to be an excellent local luggage, handbag, purses, etc shop who also sold batteries, and changed them for me. His successor decided not to do watch batteries or straps. My watch collection is mostly "novelty" watches, such as my KitKat watch, Wallace and Gromit, a train watch and the brightest bright pink watch that is very very pink, one with a wooden background and others equally unusual. .

Sadly the local Jewellery shop (who sells "sensible" watches) is very openly disdainful about my choice of watch. No alternative but to buy batteries on line and change them myself now.

This is what you might need,

https://www.watchbattery.co.uk/shop/products/TL-K39634.shtml

Have you got a teensy tiny screwdriver that you could use instead?

Hmm...

Unlike some watches, where the back cover just pops open, Seikos have six slots on the rear cover. The tool needed fits into those slots and you unscrew the back.

I do have a back-up watch though. A 1960s ladies Omega. It's a wind-up watch, so no batteries required. Not a bad one to have, and it cost me 50p on a jumble sale. I don't think they realised what it was.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Hmm...

Unlike some watches, where the back cover just pops open, Seikos have six slots on the rear cover. The tool needed fits into those slots and you unscrew the back.

I do have a back-up watch though. A 1960s ladies Omega. It's a wind-up watch, so no batteries required. Not a bad one to have, and it cost me 50p on a jumble sale. I don't think they realised what it was.

On that linked page, it mentions that if you have a six slot back you need a screw back thingybob.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Tis time I wasn't here. Good night every peeps.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They pick some strange places. My old cats used to have their kittens in the coal shed and our last two cats were born in a box of nails . :wacko:
My Kissa had her first litter in the bed next to my leg well she started labour there I got up and moved her into the prepared box, not an easy task as at the time I had a 'loft bed' up a 7' ladder. For the 2nd litter I was ready for the signs and arriving home from the pub I could tell she was in labour so plonked her again in a prepared box in the front room and sat with her by my feet as I sat on the settee, however I dozed off after a couple of hours and ended up sat on the end seat with my head on the middle cushion and awoke to her having the 3rd kitten on the other end seat of the settee right next to my head. :wacko:

Sounds like it's worth a punt. If it's not for you, then you can always say no. On the other hand, if you don't apply, then there will always be that niggling regret...

How much would the move cost. And not just using moneytary measurements.

Between you, you've basically summed up the problem. That said, there's a couple of good reasons not to stay here as well.

I can see no reason why you shouldn't apply. I would still do the next two trial days, to find out more, and to help your decision-making process.

I think I have been to St Gallen, and yes Radolfzell am Bodensee looks lovely.

I'll be doing the trial days whatever, mainly because I'm learning lots just by being in a different place with a different organisation for a bit.

Also because otherwise I have to be at the Employment Agency's training course in how to make a better CV and it's a dull as ditch water...

I'll be doing the trial days whatever, mainly because I'm learning lots just by being in a different place with a different organisation for a bit.

Also because otherwise I have to be at the Employment Agency's training course in how to make a better CV and it's a dull as ditch water...
You would think they could get a Marcel Marceau look alike to demonstrate it to make it more interesting!

Top Bottom