Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I've never been wise when it comes to cars, I've had Mini's hate them with a passion, cannot stand driving the boat anchor of an engine. My buggy started off with an A series, but it now runs a lovely injected K series. I've had 3 Beetles in the past but never had 1 on the road, something has always come along to make me sell them before I got them onto it.
Wasn't that the one with the head gasket problems? :whistle:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have had all four of those varieties in my orchard. Discovery is an early, the other three are mid-season apples. I now only have Jonagold, James Grieve, Granny Smith and Bramley now.

Discovery and Cox are in the same pollination group - B, while Golden Delicious is in group C and Jonagold is in group CT. (A is the earliest to flower and D the latest.)

The T stands for triploid, which means that Jonagold needs two other varieties for pollination. Golden Delicious, as a parent of Jonagold, will not pollinate it. So expect your Jonagold to be unreliable unless there are crab apple trees in the area. Crab apples are really good general pollinators.

thank you very much for this info! I'll be sure to pass it on - I think there are a few local parks within a mile or two that have crab apple trees but i'll have to cross my fingers and hope that there are some in neighbouring gardens more local to me

thank you very much for this info! I'll be sure to pass it on - I think there are a few local parks within a mile or two that have crab apple trees but i'll have to cross my fingers and hope that there are some in neighbouring gardens more local to me

YVW :okay:

Actually, bees will travel up to three miles from their hive, so you've a more than reasonable chance to be ok. I get the bees from the hives in the village community orchard well over a mile away on my fruit trees, and then, later in the summer, on my thyme and lavender. :smile: Bumble bees are good at pollinating too. :smile:

P.S. I love Jonagold apples, they do make lovely pies. :hungry:

Ripple

Veteran
Some security guards do site patrols with their dogs. I prefer cats. ^_^
This huge and soft male cat came out of the dark and decided to keep me safe by following me for a while.
Or maybe he just wanted more strokes.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Happy valentine's Day^_^

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Day off, unpaid as was yesterday, so I'm thinking of going over to Rutland and do that on my Specialized Epic , could take the Levo ebike but I feel like burning a lot more calories.
24 miles of varying terrain and the wind should be ok. Thou it is very exposed in places.
Rutland Water is a good ride though, as you mentioned, a bit exposed in places. Plus you can look at all the shiny new bikes in the Giant shop (and resist the urge to buy anything...). Enjoy!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
"When it does go supernova, it's expected to result in a dramatic light show that could be visible in daylight and appear brighter than the full moon for a few weeks. The last time humans were treated to such a sight was the 17th century."

https://www.cnet.com/news/huge-red-star-might-explode-soon-and-next-few-weeks-are-critical/
Every time i look at it, for the last twenty-odd years... I've been willing it to blow ...I'm more than a little bit excited by the dimming.

Top Bottom