Mutant 8 legged freak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
Tegenaria duellica found outside, dominating the leylandii :biggrin:
Photo0668E001E001.jpg

Spider%2520fun.jpg

Thats just not normal. :crazy:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Thats just not normal. :crazy:

Yes, but he said

'Dominating the Leylandii'

What do they do to the Leylandii, and where can I get some??

Panter

Just call me Chris...
For the love of all thats holy - why?????

Why the tarantulas? well, they're quite sweet in their own sort of way. And they did help with my phobia although they're nowhere near as creepy as the "true" spiders.
First time I held one I was in a cold sweat and shaking like a leaf!

I have a couple of pictures actually, I'm quite sure you're desperate to see them :biggrin:

Phormictopus atrichomatus (Red Island birdeater)
We've sold this on now, seriously large and with a very bad attitude. You wouldn't see it from Month to Month and when it was out it would charge the glass and strike at it if you dared get close!

DSC_2816_001-1.jpg

Brachyphelma Smithi (Mexican Red Knee)

She's very big, and very old and so laid back it's unreal. She'll sit in your hand for Hours (if you fancy a hold?)

DSC_3056.jpg

And this is Wilf, Gramastola Zebra (Chile Zebra) our first one, sadly passed on now

DSC_2520.jpg

I don't think I have any pictures of the Baboon spider, or the Green Bottle Blue, that thing was so quick it was teffifying

Attachments

• DSC_3056.jpg
    DSC_3056.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_2816_001-1.jpg
    DSC_2816_001-1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_2520.jpg
    DSC_2520.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 22

Ecclefechan

Not exactly sure, but in my house we have a wee glass decorative bowl that we usually fling the car keys, spare keys into ect. Woke up one morning to find Godzilla's arachnid cousin casually sitting on top of the keys. There was no way I could safely retrieve my keys without putting my self in a situation I could become a snack to this thing, after waiting an hour from my dad coming back to work to rescue me, even this was too big for big Fire Fighter Stevie to handle. Now late for work, I had no option to quickly dive in and grab keys. (any keys I didn't care which, just as long as I came back from battle alive) I dived in a managed to get a set of backdoor keys. However, Mr Arachnid had decided these were the keys he wanted too, so now I had a spider the size of my hand rapidly climing up my trouser legs... I just remember waking up in the back of an Ambulance en route to the R.A.H (Ok maybe thats not true) but I did almost pee my self.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Brachyphelma Smithi (Mexican Red Knee)

She's very big, and very old and so laid back it's unreal. She'll sit in your hand for Hours (if you fancy a hold?)

DSC_3056.jpg
I HATE spiders.......they irrationally terrify me.
But she is strangely beautiful.

Attachments

• DSC_3056.jpg
    DSC_3056.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 4

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Why the tarantulas? well, they're quite sweet in their own sort of way. And they did help with my phobia although they're nowhere near as creepy as the "true" spiders.
First time I held one I was in a cold sweat and shaking like a leaf!

GOOD ON YOU!!

Far too many people go through life letting their phobia control them. I have a phobia about something... well, it is quite embarrassing actually, but you know what, I know it is a load of old bollox and I do NOT let it get to me.

If you still have a phobia that controls you as an adult, then there is something badly wrong with you, sorry, but it has to be said.

Oh yes, and it really IS as simple as that.:rolleyes:

Is that a little hat she's wearing?? ^_^

Attachments

• DSC_3056.jpg
    DSC_3056.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 5

Cubist

Still wavin'
GOOD ON YOU!!

Far too many people go through life letting their phobia control them. I have a phobia about something... well, it is quite embarrassing actually, but you know what, I know it is a load of old bollox and I do NOT let it get to me.

If you still have a phobia that controls you as an adult, then there is something badly wrong with you, sorry, but it has to be said.

You can call it a hat if you like, but the spider calls it lunch......

I was custodian of the school Mexican Red Knee. It was, or appeared to be, genuinely affectionate. I asked Mum if I could bring it home for the holidays but she is spider phobic, so that was a non-starter.

Mate of mine had a Chinese Bird Eater that was bad tempered. It had a nasty bite too.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
They may look scary, this Mutha is hard as nails

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbXKl99t_pc

They're actually quite nasty, and one of the most venomous spiders on Earth I believe?

Thanks Lisa, she is actually quite beautiful, and always out on display which is nice.
I don't actually handle any of them anymore, they don't get anything from it and they're incredibly fragile. A fall from the height of two ot three times their bodylength will kill most spiders eventually as they have no mechanism to stop bleeding, their bodies are essentially just complex hydraulic pumps.
Here's another one of Mavis though, when we first got here and moved her to new accommodation.
Although she's very, very placid and her bite would be harmless, her fangs are immense and they sit incredibly close to your skin when she's on your hand!

mavis.jpg

Attachments

• mavis.jpg
    mavis.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 8

Panter

Just call me Chris...
GOOD ON YOU!!

Thank you :smile:

I find phobias quite fascinating, but I'm not sure it really means there's something wrong with you really, I believe it's more a product of out life style and having none of the natural fears to deal with that we should have.
Some are difficult to tackle too.
Although my spider phobia was pretty bad, it was absolutely nothing compared to my blood/needle phobia.
That got so bad that I had to walk out of a first aid course when they got to the gunshot wounds section as I was going to pass out.
I also had to sit down for 10 minutes on the way back from the doctors after a routine vaccination as I just felt worse and worse whilst walking home and nearly blacked out!

Top Bottom