My enormous trauma!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
On 31st January, I fainted for the first time in my life and smashed my face into the metal table in our kitchen and then was spun over onto my back and my head hit the floor. I'd broken my skull in two places and was knocked unconscious. My wife had to get me an ambulance which took me to intensive care where they put me on a ventilator. They transferred me to another unit with a neurosurgical dept and they drilled a hole into my skull to continually monitor the intra-cranial pressure. They informed my friends and relatives that I was in a bad way with some serious brain damage and they said I could suffer enormous damage. Well I was in there and semi-conscious for 9 days but then I came to. They transferred me back to the previous unit and they kept me in under medication for a week. During this time, I'd lost over 15 kilograms and all the muscle on my legs due to no movement as well as loads of body mass so I felt weak and tired.

Anyway, my residual fitness and determination meant that once I came to, I started to show a positive benefit. The consultant told me after a week that I could go home with my wife as she's a senior, experienced nurse. I came home last Wednesday and since then, I've shown a huge improvement on each day. My headache has mostly gone away and my tablet consumption has reduced to almost nothing. My memory is flooding back and my mental determination is coming through massively. I am still a little bit sluggish but about 98% better than at the nadir of my condition after smashing my head. I'd reckon that by next Monday morning, I'll be back in good condition so I look forward to that.

I reckon that in April, I'll have the sufficient positivity to go out on distances on a bike. This would mean I'd have less fear of collapsing on the bike or coming off and causing myself more head damage.

So there we go. Fainting was at 6.30 pm and had no reason so it came totally out of the blue and was a tremendous shock. Here's looking positively to the future.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yikes, how awful!

Just shows, you never know what's round the corner.

Keep up the positivity, and I hope you're back to full strength soon!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Wow it sounds like you have already come quite a way ... I guess its one day at a time, small steps forward and keep what seems to be a positive attitude.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I hope things get easier by the day, though it sounds as if you're doing really well.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Well there you are! Thought the place had been a bit quiet recently.

Sounds like it could have been a whole lot worse for you, glad you're coming through it ok. Don't go overdoing mind although I'll bet Mrs PaulB is keeping you on a short leash, so to speak.

Are you able to listen to any rock and roll yet? - I always find that's a good indicator of wellness.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
Wow it sounds like you have already come quite a way ... I guess its one day at a time, small steps forward and keep what seems to be a positive attitude.

Thanks. I still feel a bit of trepidation and am tired by about 2.30pm each day and my company are very, very supportive of me and have given me some very positive news but my cloudy head still grows tired for no reason! Hopefully, this will shift by the end of the week!

wafflycat

Very best wishes for a full recovery!

ASC1951

Guru
PaulB said:
Fainting was at 6.30 pm and had no reason so it came totally out of the blue and was a tremendous shock.
Good grief! Any idea what caused it, or are you still in the dark?

You may find that your whole outlook on life changes.

Crankarm

Guru
Crikey PaulB! I wondered what had happened to you. Just goes to show health is the most important thing and how often it is taken for granted.

Take it easy and hope you are soon back to near your former self.

TVC

Puts everything in perspective, glad to hear your well on the road to recovery.

Have a virtual fruit bowl from me.

longers

Legendary Member
Hope you carry on making swift progress and a perfect recovery Paul.

There were a few folk asking after you on Colins ride the other week. Well done Mrs B for putting up with looking after you.

Top Bottom