My First little (potential) tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks! Will do! Can I ask what route you took? Be interesting to see if my provisional plan has any similarities - I'm also due a new casette soon and will be opting for a 32t one this time to help with the hills. I'm fairly competent weekend cyclist (80 miles, 7000ft climbing is very much in my "comfort zone" these days) I think my biggest problem will be pacing. I might keep my heart rate monitor on just as a reminder to keep it steady.

Everyone that's mentioned Tea and Coffee has pretty much sold me on the idea of a stove, so thanks for that! :laugh:

im looking at one of these at the moment https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/cam...d-anodised-2-person-cook-kit-2015-pd-8753.php

I reckon my home made wood gassifyer will fit no problem into it, along with a lighter, some cotton wool and other bits and bobs.

my route took me from Milton Keynes, Worcester then through to new quay on the coast. if you use a website like cycletravel, you can plot your route and check the profile - which may be a good idea, just be carefull, it really takes you on the quiet roads even though they are vertical -or so it seemed with full kit on :laugh:

Last edited:

doog

It's a one off in that I don't have anymore planned, but I suppose that depends how succesful It is! :laugh: I would certainly like to do more, I think...

I'd be happy spending £150 on a tent. It's one of those things thats just good to have in general really, cycling or otherwise. Who knows when I might be made homeless!

There will be plenty of suggestions. I got one of these http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Tents/2-Person/Taurus-UL-2P-green.html

There's one on ebay for £170... .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vaude-Tau...386896?hash=item1c6a3bc790:g:x-8AAOSwRJ9Xgg2W

Like you, first time around I didnt know if I'd tour again however I had a first class tent that could always be sold on....Its been used numerous times since and goes up in 2 minutes.

as stated only a suggestion in a very large subject..this is a decent forum for lightweight stuff btw http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/5.html

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I like my Bikamper but it's not to everyone's taste.

AroundTheSite-OffTheTracksSpring2013-PB08.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'd aim to spend 10 hours a day in the saddle, to allow plenty of time for "touring" rather than just riding from A to B.

So start at 8.00, finish at 6.00 leaves time for pubs and evening exploits.

Personally though, for a short self supported (mostly) trip, id look at halving that distance on some days and just spending more time, enroute, enjoying the surroundings.

Enjoy

Ps, pack sudocream

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I'd aim to spend 10 hours a day in the saddle, to allow plenty of time for "touring" rather than just riding from A to B.

So start at 8.00, finish at 6.00 leaves time for pubs and evening exploits.

Personally though, for a short self supported (mostly) trip, id look at halving that distance on some days and just spending more time, enroute, enjoying the surroundings.

Enjoy

Ps, pack sudocream

I think that sounds entirely sensible and very up my street :smile:

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Trying to look at fuel for camp stoves online and getting annoyed no one seems to want to post volatile substances... :laugh:

What short of fuel should I be looking at and how much? Would it be sensible to get as much as I think I'll need all in one go or plan to get more en route?

With the premise that you are NOT camping out in remote areas or bad weather

Have look at "Festival" packages

Most of the retailers will do a tent, sleeping bag and mat at a reasonable price

It will not be the lightest, or smallest package, but certainly manageable

I like my Bikamper but it's not to everyone's taste.

View attachment 138677

I was always tempted, but riding a recumbent, and having a penchant for cycling to the pub in the evening, it never ticked ALL the boxes

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
With the premise that you are NOT camping out in remote areas or bad weather

Have look at "Festival" packages

Most of the retailers will do a tent, sleeping bag and mat at a reasonable price

It will not be the lightest, or smallest package, but certainly manageable

This is the UK, such a premise is surely naive :laugh:

I dont mind buying something half decent that I can use for the forseeable future, whether cycling or otherwise.

This is the UK, such a premise is surely naive :laugh:

I dont mind buying something half decent that I can use for the forseeable future, whether cycling or otherwise.

I was trying to be Optimistic!

Any tourist will tell you the sun always shines!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Trying to look at fuel for camp stoves online and getting annoyed no one seems to want to post volatile substances... :laugh:

What short of fuel should I be looking at and how much? Would it be sensible to get as much as I think I'll need all in one go or plan to get more en route?
I've never camped whilst cycling...yet.

But in my walking days I lived by my trangia meths stove...it was bullet proof.

But...i did have a meths bottle fail and had to leave my kit out for it to evaporate.it was a pain and the smell didn't go away...plus I had no hot food that night, or the next morning.
So the lesson I learnt was that I might be tempted to take a little fuel and stop on the way to resupply

I used a trangia copy, along with a tiny fuel tab stove ,(http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/cookers-and-stoves/RA101.html ) but I reckon the wood gassifyer will go with me next time, it really is fuel efficient and you can collect enough fuel to boil water and cook in about 10 minutes.

I was worried about meths spillage but had no issues, you should be able to buy meths in most hardware stores on your journey, I bought 1/2 litre and it's enough for a couple of days.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've never camped whilst cycling...yet.

But in my walking days I lived by my trangia meths stove...it was bullet proof.

But...i did have a meths bottle fail and had to leave my kit out for it to evaporate.it was a pain and the smell didn't go away...plus I had no hot food that night, or the next morning.
So the lesson I learnt was that I might be tempted to take a little fuel and stop on the way to resupply
Meths/solid fuel stoves are great but how do you turn them off. TBH I own the forerunner of the Vango stove I linked to, mine is an Epigas 'Alpine' and it's lasted me for 30yrs and still going strong. :becool:

Top Bottom