My First little (potential) tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I still can't like photos of @Fab Foodie because it reminds me he doesn't really quite look like Leonard... not quite...

It's not the visual likeness to Reggie, it's the general demeanor, attitude of bemusement, anger and comedic despair where we are alike. That and I also work in the food industry ....
The clip of him in the car at the Safari Park with his family is me exactly. I can barely watch.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Seriously invaluable this stuff guys - I've also noticed decathlons range seems pretty comprehensive and reasonably priced, especially compared to some of the more focused outdoorsy places. I'm sure their stuff will suffice for what I'm proposing.

What sort of weight do you guys end up with all together? I think my rack will take up to 25kg, and I hope to be able to strap the tent to my handlebars to even things out a little bit. I certainly can't imagine I'll be hitting weight limits anytime soon.

doog

I think I'd like an inflatable mat as I'm typically a side sleeper.

Reference mats. I've used self inflating mats in the past however like you I sleep on my side so same issue . I've just bought a Thermarest Neo air Venture http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/therm-a-rest-neoair-venture-sleeping-mat-p292551.... reduced to £50

It appears more comfortable (more depth) ,packs up smaller than a self inflating mat the only issue if there is one is you have to inflate it...about 20 blows. Its just about to get fully tested in France so we'll see !

As for total weight - I average about 20kg in total over 4 panniers (including pannier weight) - that's for camping with cooking equipment etc..I haven't quite resorted to cutting the toothbrush in half but every time I upgrade kit Its usually for lighter stuff.

I know you said your rack is suitable, make sure your back wheel is decent quality, good spoke count etc to take the weight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Reference mats. I've used self inflating mats in the past however like you I sleep on my side so same issue . I've just bought a Thermarest Neo air Venture http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/therm-a-rest-neoair-venture-sleeping-mat-p292551.... reduced to £50

It appears more comfortable (more depth) ,packs up smaller than a self inflating mat the only issue if there is one is you have to inflate it...about 20 blows. Its just about to get fully tested in France so we'll see !

As for total weight - I've average about 20kg in total over 4 panniers (including pannier weight) - thats for camping with cooking equipment etc..I havent quite resorted to cutting the toothbrush in half but every time I upgrade kit Its usually for lighter stuff.

I know you said your rack is suitable, make sure your back wheel is decent quality, good spoke count etc to take the weight.

Mavic Aksium disk one - Seems pretty bombproof over the last 2000 miles of commuting with about 10kg daily. I think for sub 2 weeks I'm probably going to be aiming to keep it all under 15kgs on the rack... but I'm not going to get silly about it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Seriously invaluable this stuff guys - I've also noticed decathlons range seems pretty comprehensive and reasonably priced, especially compared to some of the more focused outdoorsy places. I'm sure their stuff will suffice for what I'm proposing.

What sort of weight do you guys end up with all together? I think my rack will take up to 25kg, and I hope to be able to strap the tent to my handlebars to even things out a little bit. I certainly can't imagine I'll be hitting weight limits anytime soon.
About 20kg, my backpacking weight is about 18kg max but on the bike I also need some tools, spares and a pump and that bumps it up a bit.

doog

Mavic Aksium disk one - Seems pretty bombproof over the last 2000 miles of commuting with about 10kg daily. I think for sub 2 weeks I'm probably going to be aiming to keep it all under 15kgs on the rack... but I'm not going to get silly about it.

Just an update on the weight....bearing in mind im off for anything up to a month next tues. The first pack is always over zealous...my 4 panniers have come in at 13kg total...tent is 1.8kg...I'm chuffed with that and probably down to the lighter kit .includes a few days of food (that I usually never use) but doesn't include saddle bag (with tools) and the full bottles

Arrive in France, lob in a bottle of wine, cheese and the rest and weight goes to rats very quickly..however its extremely important to keep room for this sort of stuff..:okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just an update on the weight....bearing in mind im off for anything up to a month next tues. The first pack is always over zealous...my 4 panniers have come in at 13kg total...tent is 1.8kg...I'm chuffed with that and probably down to the lighter kit .includes a few days of food (that I usually never use) but doesn't include saddle bag (with tools) and the full bottles

Arrive in France, lob in a bottle of wine, cheese and the rest and weight goes to rats very quickly..however its extremely important to keep room for this sort of stuff..:okay:
Always leave room for essentials. :becool:

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran

Ahaha excellent! There will indeed be room left for, well "emergency ale" :laugh:

Another question, I'm noticing a lot of sites stipulate you need to be a member of the camping and caravanning club. Is this typically nonsense? I can't see why they'd want to limit their potential earnings so much, especially for such a low insurance risk as little old me!

F70100

Who, me ?
Ahaha excellent! There will indeed be room left for, well "emergency ale" :laugh:

Another question, I'm noticing a lot of sites stipulate you need to be a member of the camping and caravanning club. Is this typically nonsense? I can't see why they'd want to limit their potential earnings so much, especially for such a low insurance risk as little old me!

It's a function of planning legislation; anyone with some land can set up a campsite to accommodate up to 5 caravans and 10 tents without needing planning permission, provided the site operators are affiliated to an organisation and the campers are members of said organisation.

doog

I've never been asked if I'm a member or not (I'm not) By the way quite a few use archies camping http://www.archiescampings.eu/

The App for a couple of quid is worth it's weight in gold I've found, simply for the number of sites listed, contact numbers, directions and opening times etc You can download the sites as POI's for free if using a Garmin etc.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
tents!

http://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/000086-peak-3-3-pro-tent.html

I know size is overkill, but I want to re-iterate again, im in no rush, I'd rather be comfortable. Its half a kilo heavier than the Vango Banshee and would serve better as a multi purpose tent for non-cycling activity. On top of which I think I might well sleep a bit better knowing my bike is "under cover", especially if I leave the pitch for a pint.

Anyone used/seen one?

If you can still get it the Coleman Cobra is cheaper than the Banshee and the same shape. 3Kg is my personal tent maximum, solo and preferably two. It's essentially a psychological thing but I have toured with a 4.5kg tent which didn't actually go well as I broke the back axle!

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
If you can still get it the Coleman Cobra is cheaper than the Banshee and the same shape. 3Kg is my personal tent maximum, solo and preferably two. It's essentially a psychological thing but I have toured with a 4.5kg tent which didn't actually go well as I broke the back axle!

Im actually looking at arc shapes now, with a bit of a porch area I can shoehorn my bike in when I'm not at the pitch and potentially cook a little more comfortably if the weather isnt playing fair :smile:

That Berghouse one and Wild Country Hoolie 2 ETC are top of the list. Funnily enough both come in under 3KG and yes, I've set that as a limit, even though Ive got no idea what the rest of my crap is going to weigh yet! :laugh:

Im actually looking at arc shapes now, with a bit of a porch area I can shoehorn my bike in when I'm not at the pitch and potentially cook a little more comfortably if the weather isnt playing fair :smile:

That Berghouse one and Wild Country Hoolie 2 ETC are top of the list. Funnily enough both come in under 3KG and yes, I've set that as a limit, even though Ive got no idea what the rest of my crap is going to weigh yet! :laugh:
Hoolie2 looks good. I had a very similar shape one (the 4.5kg tent) and the almost vertical walls make it roomy with a good amount of space in the porch allowing cooking and storage. Pitched outer first too which was useful in bad weather.

Top Bottom