My First little (potential) tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
Hello!

Right, I've got two weeks off, last week of september and first week of october. I want to start in Manchester and Ideally try and make it to Salibsbury, I figure if I average between 60-70 miles a day and go right around the coast of Wales This should leave me some time to make all the mistakes I'll inevitably end up making.

I'm reasonably confident the distance wont be a problem, I intend to camp some, stay with friends some, and B&B some. I'm aware the weather can be hit and miss around that time of year but I'm hoping I shouldnt be exposed to seriously bad conditions.

Things I have;
Genesis Equillibrium Disk 20
Topeak Rack
2XOrtlieb classic panniers
Good selection of reliable cold/warm weather cycling gear
Garmin edge 520
reasonable selection of tools

Things I need
Tent
Sleeping bag
Sleeping mat
sense of direction
Cooking facilities? (I intend to eat out or not be too far from shops more often than not)
advice on route
???

I'm feeling tight budget wise, and I'm not going up everest nor going very fast, so budget options on the camping gear would be appreciated.
A quick route plan shows it as about 530 miles with 27000 feet of climbing which seems reasonable for a first jaunt.

The idea is terrifying me but I'm so excited just at the thought! :laugh:

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/114380-vango-folding-gas-stove.html

For a camping stove I'd use one like this as opposed to one that screws directly to the canister, much safer.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you really sure that distance won't be a problem? Carrying luggage? Possibly in stinking rain and a stonking headwind? And still have time to look around places? Day after day?

I've ridden centuries OK (and one which sucked!) and I did 50-65 miles/day on my first tour earlier this year, but personally, I'd regard 40-45 as the ideal.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Are you really sure that distance won't be a problem? Carrying luggage? Possibly in stinking rain and a stonking headwind? And still have time to look around places? Day after day?

I've ridden centuries OK (and one which sucked!) and I did 50-65 miles/day on my first tour earlier this year, but personally, I'd regard 40-45 as the ideal.

No, I'm not sure is the short answer!

It's going to be a mixture of touring for the sake of touring at a reasonable speed, and spending the evenings exploring/relaxing/pubbing - so if I'm feeling good and I crack a century, great, if I spot a particularly nice looking pub and stop off for an hour then end up too full to go any further than the campsite a few miles down the road, then great also. I've got no constraints other than I've got two weeks and I'd quite like to get to Salisbury via friends in Tenby. Purposely going around the edge of wales rather than through it to keep the elevation reasonable and enjoy the views on the bike, rather than having to get off.

I am, however, acutely aware that the welsh coast at that time of the year can be a pretty crazy place, so plan on being flexible if required.

doog

Two weeks should be fine. A few examples .

My first big tour was 700 plus miles from Spain to St Malo over the Pyrenees fully loaded and I did it in 11 days without too much effort (other than the bloody mountains). The last biggie was 1500 miles in 23 days at an average speed of 9.5mph :whistle: ...So both equate to 60 plus miles a day I guess.

What you will find is that a long day (say a century) is usually followed by a shorter day - just dont bloody kill yourself - its meant to be fun !

There are people on here knocking out much more than I've ever done however you can rack up a decent mileage just plodding along all day, stopping when you feel like it to take photos, have a pint. munching on snacks and still have plenty of time too mooch about.

Take some cream for your arse and some Nurofen plus if your knees play up.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Two weeks should be fine. A few examples .

My first big tour was 700 plus miles from Spain to St Malo over the Pyrenees fully loaded and I did it in 11 days without too much effort (other than the bloody mountains). The last biggie was 1500 miles in 23 days at an average speed of 9.5mph :whistle: ...So both equate to 60 plus miles a day I guess.

What you will find is that a long day (say a century) is usually followed by a shorter day - just dont bloody kill yourself - its meant to be fun !

There are people on here knocking out much more than I've ever done however you can rack up a decent mileage just plodding along all day, stopping when you feel like it to take photos, have a pint. munching on snacks and still have plenty of time too mooch about.

Take some cream for your arse and some Nurofen plus if your knees play up.

I was sincerely hoping someone would come along and say something like that, Thanks! (whats that about pre-conceived agreeability...)

I'm not racing, I'm strapping a tent to my bike and heading to see some mates and see some new places

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ideally, take a day and do a day trip with a full (or near-full) touring load of your intended distance to see whether you feel that you could get up and do it again the next day, or whether your legs fall off.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do you find a stove is a weight/worthy luxury for what I'm proposing?
Yep, I'm useless without a couple of cups of coffee/tea in the morning but luckily I drink black coffee or China (green) tea both without sugar through choice. I also have been known to scoff tins of Ravioli, Macaroni Cheese and Beans with Sausages etc and prefer those warmed up.

doog

I was sincerely hoping someone would come along and say something like that, Thanks! (whats that about pre-conceived agreeability...)

I'm not racing, I'm strapping a tent to my bike and heading to see some mates and see some new places

That's what its all about. I'm off again next week heading towards the Med and back - Reference a stove, some do, some dont. I do as I like a brew like releighnut, also rural Spain / France is often 'closed' so I take food I can cook up - pasta / couscous etc. Doesnt weigh much and a hot brew / food can lift my mood if the weathers bad.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
RE tents, the vango banshee 200 seems to tick most boxes - notably weight/size ration. I'd have liked a wee porch area but the price seems to rocket for that. Does anyone have any experience of one?

@mythste your tour sounds like a good ride, but, and there is a but, ive just done a mini tour myself to wales, expect sharp hills, even around the coastline and long drawn out ones too. miles will seem a little longer than normal. I was told by a local chap that I had 30miles to go and he reckoned it would take about 6 hours!

I did mine with full camping kit including the stove. I wouldn't do it without tbh even if only for the cuppa whilst fixing the visit from the fairy in the middle of nowhere. also, I find even the most basic of food tasted great first thing in the morning after a night in a tent. There is loads of options of making your own lightweight stove on the internet, search wood gasifyer or kiwi can stove, these are easy to make, light to carry and may just help keeping your spirits up in a downpour.

re the tent. I bought a cheap one man jobbie from aldi, sprayed more rain proof on it and off I went. I would say that given the time to do it again, the vango that was mentioned earlier looks ideal, good headroom unless you are a giant and a porch for storage/cooking in if it rains.

im no expert but its amazing how much you learn very quickly when you try it out - as also said above, try a shorter version, say a 50 miler, camp then 50 miler back. you will learn loads by doing so and enjoy it too

best of luck and let us know how it goes :okay:

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
@mythste your tour sounds like a good ride, but, and there is a but, ive just done a mini tour myself to wales, expect sharp hills, even around the coastline and long drawn out ones too. miles will seem a little longer than normal. I was told by a local chap that I had 30miles to go and he reckoned it would take about 6 hours!

I did mine with full camping kit including the stove. I wouldn't do it without tbh even if only for the cuppa whilst fixing the visit from the fairy in the middle of nowhere. also, I find even the most basic of food tasted great first thing in the morning after a night in a tent. There is loads of options of making your own lightweight stove on the internet, search wood gasifyer or kiwi can stove, these are easy to make, light to carry and may just help keeping your spirits up in a downpour.

re the tent. I bought a cheap one man jobbie from aldi, sprayed more rain proof on it and off I went. I would say that given the time to do it again, the vango that was mentioned earlier looks ideal, good headroom unless you are a giant and a porch for storage/cooking in if it rains.

im no expert but its amazing how much you learn very quickly when you try it out - as also said above, try a shorter version, say a 50 miler, camp then 50 miler back. you will learn loads by doing so and enjoy it too

best of luck and let us know how it goes :okay:

Thanks! Will do! Can I ask what route you took? Be interesting to see if my provisional plan has any similarities - I'm also due a new casette soon and will be opting for a 32t one this time to help with the hills. I'm fairly competent weekend cyclist (80 miles, 7000ft climbing is very much in my "comfort zone" these days) I think my biggest problem will be pacing. I might keep my heart rate monitor on just as a reminder to keep it steady.

Everyone that's mentioned Tea and Coffee has pretty much sold me on the idea of a stove, so thanks for that! :laugh:

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
There's a tent thread here

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tents.175278/

Is this tour a one off ? I would go for the lightest possible 2 man tent....do you have a budget ? I had a Banshee 300 once and apart from being too heavy it was a pain to put up in a hurry (ie pouring down)..

So priority for me is weight and ease to put up...

massive subject so best of luck

It's a one off in that I don't have anymore planned, but I suppose that depends how succesful It is! :laugh: I would certainly like to do more, I think...

I'd be happy spending £150 on a tent. It's one of those things thats just good to have in general really, cycling or otherwise. Who knows when I might be made homeless!

Top Bottom