My First little (potential) tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Right! It's looming this. I've been absoloutely pouring over maps and gear (and have, in all honesty, found the whole process really rather therapeutic as well!) I'm reasonibly confident that I cant go too far off route, I've only really go the last 60-70 miles to plan.

Tent and sleeping bag ordered, went for the Hoolie 2 ETC and a well reviewed Black Aerolight sleeping bag. Just got to find a sleeping mat and cooking stuff now.

MSR seems great but its a heck of an outlay that might be used once a year. I'm concerned about stability of ones that mount to the top of a compressed unit... I like to eat :laugh:

toffee

Guru
tents!

http://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/000086-peak-3-3-pro-tent.html

I know size is overkill, but I want to re-iterate again, im in no rush, I'd rather be comfortable. Its half a kilo heavier than the Vango Banshee and would serve better as a multi purpose tent for non-cycling activity. On top of which I think I might well sleep a bit better knowing my bike is "under cover", especially if I leave the pitch for a pint.

Anyone used/seen one?

I have this tent. Bought it a few months ago to do a tour with Mrs T. Weight is ok and for spring/summer/Autumn use should be fine. Enough room to get all our panniers in the porch with room left to get in and out. It has coped ok with the limited amount of wind and rain that has been thrown at it.

We got it in red instead of green as it was only £109 from Millets.
20160507_194225.jpg

Derek

Last edited:
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Just a little update to those interested!

I've decided to go for a Trangia meths burning stove. The simplicity of use and ability to clearly see where I'm up to fuel wise seemed to perfectly match up to the vibe of my whole trip!
I've unfortunately (or fortunately - new career move possible!) got to cut my time away a little short, going from 16 days to 12, so I'm aiming for cardiff which seems sensible. Means my daily milage "has" to be around 40 miles which I think is perfectly reasonable and I think I'll probably do it quicker than my alloted time.

Getting nervous now!

Hello!

Right, I've got two weeks off, last week of september and first week of october. I want to start in Manchester and Ideally try and make it to Salibsbury, I figure if I average between 60-70 miles a day and go right around the coast of Wales This should leave me some time to make all the mistakes I'll inevitably end up making.

I'm reasonably confident the distance wont be a problem, I intend to camp some, stay with friends some, and B&B some. I'm aware the weather can be hit and miss around that time of year but I'm hoping I shouldnt be exposed to seriously bad conditions.

Things I have;
Genesis Equillibrium Disk 20
Topeak Rack
2XOrtlieb classic panniers
Good selection of reliable cold/warm weather cycling gear
Garmin edge 520
reasonable selection of tools

Things I need
Tent
Sleeping bag
Sleeping mat
sense of direction
Cooking facilities? (I intend to eat out or not be too far from shops more often than not)
advice on route
???

I'm feeling tight budget wise, and I'm not going up everest nor going very fast, so budget options on the camping gear would be appreciated.
A quick route plan shows it as about 530 miles with 27000 feet of climbing which seems reasonable for a first jaunt.

The idea is terrifying me but I'm so excited just at the thought! :laugh:

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Get a good quality 4 season sleeping bag! I used to go cycle camping near Salisbury Plain and it gets cold (ie. F*ing freezing!) past mid september

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Trangia's are ace.
Especially if you have a good cooking stand. Their cook kit works out well, but makes some operations a bit more cumbersome. This depends on how you use it. I use my Trangia with a Sterno folding stove(which has never even seen Sterno), for both a windscreen and pot stand. I drilled two holes in the end pieces to raise the Trangia to the optimum distance of 1" from the cooking vessel.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Especially if you have a good cooking stand. Their cook kit works out well, but makes some operations a bit more cumbersome. This depends on how you use it. I use my Trangia with a Sterno folding stove(which has never even seen Sterno), for both a windscreen and pot stand. I drilled two holes in the end pieces to raise the Trangia to the optimum distance of 1" from the cooking vessel.

I've gone for one of the 27 series kits with a pan and two pots, one of which I intend to use as a bowl for eating out of. The whole system is pretty light and I've been getting recipes ready.

Practice pitched the Hoole 2 this weekend. Crikey these new tents are easier than the old ones eh! Loads of space, and all under 3KG. Well happy with that.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I leave on Friday. Ive done some practice runs, man is she HEAVY, but most of my practicing has been not stamping on the pedals from every traffic light and not letting myself go more than 17mph :laugh:

Any last minute pieces of advice?

I'm onto the little things now, like wondering if I should pack a bar of butter or a small bottle of cooking oil...

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I'm back!

A little earlier than expected, but that's in fact down to the fact I got a call for a very important interview on this coming Monday and I figured I had to put my sensible head on and get some real prep time in for it.

I'll try and do a full write up soon but some take-away points for the time being;

- Wales is bloody gorgeous. Every hill offered up the most wonderful reward at the top.
- I should never "just blast out the last 10" on that A-Road.
- A half body sleeping mat means cold toes.
- Welsh hospitality is wonderful.
- Cycling is the best hangover cure.
- Don't use too much butter as oil to fry sausages on a trangia, at least if you value your eyebrows.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've gone for one of the 27 series kits with a pan and two pots, one of which I intend to use as a bowl for eating out of. The whole system is pretty light and I've been getting recipes ready.

Practice pitched the Hoole 2 this weekend. Crikey these new tents are easier than the old ones eh! Loads of space, and all under 3KG. Well happy with that.
My kids do DofE and I'm amazed at the lightness and ease of erection (fnarr) of them compared to what we had on the old family camping holiday.

Top Bottom