My First little (potential) tour.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran

Did that slab not weigh you down on the hills?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
RE tents, the vango banshee 200 seems to tick most boxes - notably weight/size ration. I'd have liked a wee porch area but the price seems to rocket for that. Does anyone have any experience of one?
Yep I use one. If your not 6' tall it'll be fine. I can get all my bags and Brommie inside :-)

IMG_2085.JPG

The other advantage is that to reduce weight you can just use the outer and poles!

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

I've just spent nearly 2 weeks touring the Outer Hebrides onna Brompton. Some learnings:
Don't overestimate how much cycling you'll do each day. By the time you've had brekkie, packed kit etc. the day becomes shorter than expected.
Allow time for sightseeing, photography, stopping to chat.
Cooking kit, I used a Pocket Stove, Alpkit Titanium mug and windshield with Esbit tabs for fuel. Light, simple, dependable. Spork for eating. Cans are readily heated in the 650ml Ti mug with a little water in them
A decent down bag and sleeping mat is worth it's weight in gold. I bought Alpkit 3/4 foam mat and Pipedream 400 down bag for warmy lovliness. Drybags are useful too as lightweight ways of carrying extra kit.
Pack multi-functional clothes
Decide whether you need cycle shoes or can do with regular walking shoes for extra flexibility
Flip flops are fab and weigh nothing for non cycling time.
A small foam sit-mat has a multitude of uses
Compression sacks useful for sleep bags and clothing
Microfibres towels are cheap, pack small and work
Multi use wash liquid helps with clothes, body, dishes in salt and regular water
Head torch - essential
Keep matches dry .....
Less is more ....

IMG_4526.JPG

IMG_4690.JPG

raleighnut

Legendary Member
highlander_relax_mat_ALL_1.jpg

I find one of these invaluable for camping, folds flat but then it just takes the strain out of sitting upright of an evening and it's filled with the same material as a camping mat so it keeps the chill off the bottom of my back/kidney area.
Very lightweight too for what it becomes.

Fab Foodie

highlander_relax_mat_ALL_1.jpg

I find one of these invaluable for camping, folds flat but then it just takes the strain out of sitting upright of an evening and it's filled with the same material as a camping mat so it keeps the chill off the bottom of my back/kidney area.
Very lightweight too for what it becomes.
Looks like it folds out to double-up as a short sleeping mat maybe?

Fab Foodie

Could do, although I've never used mine as that.
Mind you I've slept in mine quite a few times when I've dozed off in it after some 'light refreshments' of an evening. :cheers:
Man after my own heart!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't overestimate how much cycling you'll do each day. By the time you've had brekkie, packed kit etc. the day becomes shorter than expected.
^^ This. Especially if you're staying somewhere with a hot+cold buffet breakfast. You'll probably still be refuelling from the previous day's ride, so it can take a while.

I still can't like photos of @Fab Foodie because it reminds me he doesn't really quite look like Leonard... not quite...

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
I think what I'd like to do Is make a map of all potential stopping points en route. Even if they are less than 10 miles apart and give myself loads of options. Like I said, It's not a race this and even if it just ends up a learning experience I'll be happy. Nothing ventured etc!

Thanks so much for all the kit suggestions so far! I think I'm sold on the Vango 200 (maybe 300, as that'll be more useful for other camping,I think) Sleeping bag and mat, research suggests that as long as I dont go stupid cheap I should be okay, I think I'd like an inflatable mat as I'm typically a side sleeper.

Jurys still out on stove equipment. I've got a snow and rock near me, I might have a nosey down there to gauge size and weight as I really have no point of reference at the moment!

Keep the ideas coming! :smile:

Reactions: mjr

Fab Foodie

I think what I'd like to do Is make a map of all potential stopping points en route. Even if they are less than 10 miles apart and give myself loads of options. Like I said, It's not a race this and even if it just ends up a learning experience I'll be happy. Nothing ventured etc!

Thanks so much for all the kit suggestions so far! I think I'm sold on the Vango 200 (maybe 300, as that'll be more useful for other camping,I think) Sleeping bag and mat, research suggests that as long as I dont go stupid cheap I should be okay, I think I'd like an inflatable mat as I'm typically a side sleeper.

Jurys still out on stove equipment. I've got a snow and rock near me, I might have a nosey down there to gauge size and weight as I really have no point of reference at the moment!

Keep the ideas coming! :smile:
Take a look at Alpkit for good value kit and service. Mostly UK sourced as well IIRC

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Meths/solid fuel stoves are great but how do you turn them off. TBH I own the forerunner of the Vango stove I linked to, mine is an Epigas 'Alpine' and it's lasted me for 30yrs and still going strong. :becool:
You just smother them with the brass cap thingy that cones with them.

It's been a while but I don't recall any problem turning them off

Fab Foodie

Top Bottom