My first solo, unsupported, camping tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
It all looks lovely. It's so great to get a realistic picture of what it's like to be out on your own. TBF I haven't read many of the other tour reports but this is making me think I should start!

BTW: pee in-tent in comfort with a she-wee and a bottle. Invaluable for me once when I was camping in a torrential storm!
that's what the front porch is for! :laugh: just roll back the footprint and you are sorted ;) just don't use a trangia bowl when it is exceptionally cold out (-18C as I did once...) it froze solid and looked like a poached egg... :laugh: my OH objected to my use of the bowl - but as I pointed out, it is sterile when it comes out and in those temperatures does not take long to freeze :blush:...)

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
SatNav, your photo's and report are wonderful.

Have you ever considered setting yourself up in buisness as a cycle tour guide? I'd certainly book in.
thank you and nope - its hard enough as it is without having to look after everyone else and I wouldn't be able to stop and take as many photos... I think I took twice as many as I do when I'm out with my OH and he is exceptionally patient as it is!

Ganymede

Veteran
thank you and nope - its hard enough as it is without having to look after everyone else and I wouldn't be able to stop and take as many photos... I think I took twice as many as I do when I'm out with my OH and he is exceptionally patient as it is!
I think that is what is so wonderful about your report - you are really doing either exactly what you want OR exactly what the situation demands. Cool!

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Drat. Maybe you do me a tour as a favour? :laugh:
OK - do you want to join us for the next one... end of next month, think we are coming over your way you know.... taking the trans pennine trail from Runcorn to Southport, freelancing up to Ravensglass, taking the Hadrian's wall cycle route over to Tyneside, NCR1 (attempt at any how) down to the start of the Trans Pennine Trail (Hornsea is it?) and then following the TPT to Warrington before heading off home. 50 miles a day, 13 days with 2 days built in as spares... off road bike required... ;)

Sara_H

Guru
OK - do you want to join us for the next one... end of next month, think we are coming over your way you know.... taking the trans pennine trail from Runcorn to Southport, freelancing up to Ravensglass, taking the Hadrian's wall cycle route over to Tyneside, NCR1 (attempt at any how) down to the start of the Trans Pennine Trail (Hornsea is it?) and then following the TPT to Warrington before heading off home. 50 miles a day, 13 days with 2 days built in as spares... off road bike required... ;)
Actually I'd love to, but don't think I'll be recovered enough, also, boss expects me in work at least three days a week! Maybe next summer? Could plan some time off and train a bit as I'm not used to riding more than thirty miles a day?

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 5 - Llantwit Major - Saturday 19th July 2014

We were woken around 6am by thunder and after around 30 minutes or so lightening followed. Strange how the night before I had had lightening but no thunder. Anyhow, within 4 lightening strikes planes were allowed to take off again from Cardiff airport and we knew the worst had passed. We had a touch of rain but nothing to worry about. Little did we know of the chaos, storms and flooding happening elsewhere in the UK (nor the problems Stuart would face when he got home the following day).

We had a lazy morning, lying around on our exped downmats, with the small tent's footprint out, lying in the warm but overcast weather, reading books, just waiting for my brother to arrive before we headed off for the very reason for this tour. As mentioned before, my Grannie had died 10 days after us telling our families that we were going off to cycle around the world. A bench was dedicated to her the following year, but by then we were already out of the country and on our way north and we were not able to attend, so with my Grandfather's health failing, and with him having heard a rumour about the bench having been vandalised or needing some attention, and with Stuart and I not knowing where it was (other then roughly) a plan was put together to check on it and I decided (in a moment of madness perhaps) to cycle down rather than sit in a car... and then cycle back again....

So once my brother arrived, we went over to Ogmore-by-Sea to check on my Grannie's bench. I'm glad to report that it was in use when we arrived with a family having set up 'camp' there whilst they played on the grass in front of it and the beach (which is rocky, not sand). It has not been vandalised and was in good working order which will make my Grandfather very happy.

IMG_0851.JPG

The entire reason for the tour - to check on the bench dedicated to my late Grannie.

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

The view from the bench.

IMG_0855b.JPG

Somewhat embarrassingly I ended up having to ask one person who was sitting on it, if she could move so I could take a photo of it for my Grandfather. Luckily she did not take offence when I explained the situation. Afterwards we threw some roses into the sea for my Grannie's memory (there is no other memorial to her except this bench) and then left to find some lunch.

Later on we went over to Bridgend where my great grandmother (mamgu as we knew her) is buried and left some roses on her grave as well.

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

Once my brother had gone, Stuart and I continued the lazy theme at the campsite, with our sleeping mats out in the sun and read until it was time for bed. Thankfully the very noisy couple from last night have left (she was drunk and very loud until well after 11:30pm) but I can't help thinking i could do with another rest day... oh well.

Last edited:

Sara_H

Guru
Lovely photo's, and what a lovely spot for your Granny's memorial bench.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 06 - Sunday 20th July 2014
Pencelli (89.08km)

We both slept much better last night - no noisy neighbours for starters, no storms, no rain, and we woke to blue skies and a touch of cloud. It didn't take long to get too warm and I knew today was going to be a tough day.

Stuart waited until I was ready and saw me away before he left, passing me soon afterwards. We had come up with a better route out of Llantwit Major than the one I had used to drop into it, which was not as steep a climb out, much appreciated. Thankfully he also gave me plenty of room when he overtook me. He didn't need to let me know it was him, our car has a very particular noise to it that is easily recognisable and I knew instantly when it came into hearing range that it was him and once he was gone, it was a case of 4 days home now...

Today was hard, and there was no mistaking that. It was also a hot sunny Sunday and that meant there were plenty of other cyclists out. The morning was pretty much all roadies, some giving me the cold shoulder, some just looking at me in disbelief and one in particular who came alongside me (in Cowbridge) and chatted with me for a few minutes. It turned out he used to do Audax rides and had done a little touring - before leaving he shook my hand (with us both still riding) and wished me well. It was a nice gester.

Soon after he left, the advance safety motorbikes of a cycling road race came through, one holding back to warn me of what was approaching from behind. We established I probably had time to get up the hill (it was hedge lined at this point and there was nowhere I could pull the bike off the road) before the race arrived. As it turned out, the first 2 rides who were ahead of the field ended up overtaking me - the cameraman sitting backwards on the motorbike filming them did a double take being completely taken back my this strange woman on a laden touring bike that had suddently arrived in the shot and then I was able to pull over off the road just before the rest of the peleton arrived. I got a lot of cheery hellos and thank yous from them before they vanished and I was able to continue at my snail's pace. Actually I think snails could have been quicker...

I eventually found the Taff Trail again, bypassed those horrible barriers by remembering that cyclists are not pedestrians and cycling up the bypass - so much easier and quicker.. not sure on the technicalities of me stopping to take a photo are, but here it is...

IMG_0861.JPG

Then I followed the Taff Trail on and off all the way to Merthyr Tydfil (though mostly off because of those barriers). I quit with it not long after Treharris (just after lunch) for a vaiety of reasons, not least of all the need to locate more water. Today was exceptionally hot and it really was going to be one of those days. I just wheeled the bike into the shop and asked the lady on the cash desk where I could put it... she was very helpful and it stayed in the shop whilst I did my shopping. I needed water big time (and carried spare with me as well) raided the store for Pringles which I had purchased yesterday but my OH had kindly taken home with him (AHHHHHH), nuts & fruit, some emergency Jelly Babies which were massacred ruthlessly and yet more of that Tango or Fanta depending on what was available - have you ever looked at how few calories are in a can of Tango? 63 kcalories per 330ml can! well at least it is 63 more than water... (Fanta has around 126 kcalories per 500 ml so is marginally better when sugar is needed...)

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

Part of the Taff Trail

In Merthyr Tydfil, I refound the Taff Trail (I know it didn't know it was lost) and after a couple of those horrible barriers it was great. It was tarmac, a constant gradient and easy to sit a plod unhill on. It was also now the turn of the mtb'ers to be out in force and one or two of them got a surprise when I overtook them going uphill...

IMG_0864.JPG

Looking down the valley from the railway bridge on the Taff Trail at Merthyr Tydfil

IMG_0866.JPG

An excellent surface and steady incline leaving Merthyr Tydfil climbing up to the first reservoir.

IMG_0868.JPG

It has finally clouded over and looking a bit 'grim' but it didn't last long.

HDR_0870.JPG

And looking the other way back the way I have come from.

Approaching the top of the climb the road drops steeply (arrow on the road map) and then climbs steeply again (another arrow on the road map) or I could stay with the Taff Trail and follow a dead end road to a forestry commission track. The map gave the distinct impression that the Taff Trail followed the contour around, so I went with that and I am glad to say it did... which made life oh so much fun... (think more mountain bikers and woman on laden expedition bike... ) :laugh:

IMG_0871.JPG

At the top of this off-road section and just before the summit of the entire climb, I stopped in a car park for a breather and a guy got out of his car walking over towards me. His first words to me where "is that a Thorn?"... (reference to my make of bike for those not in the know)... He had overtaken me earlier on one of the road sections and now seeing me again was convinced it was a Thorn Nomad because I had just come up the off-road section. He has a Thorn Club Tourer and was a local... We chatted about the trail and the Nomad and he gave me the advice to stay with the canal into Brecon rather than use the road.... He also let me know that I could now see the top of the climb and after that, the forestry commission tracks which I could use were 7 miles of downhill... yippeeee .... I refrained from yelling out until much later when I was on my own and after I had embarrassed a few more mountain bikers... <whistles again>.

to be continued....

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
continued - day 6

There were some great views on the way down which I naturally stopped to photograph... sadly it was cloudy at this point, but it was dry and I had 7 miles of downhill in which to enjoy myself wearing out my brake pads... (ooppps - well they are the originals and the bike has now covered over 16,000km)...

IMG_0875.JPG

Finally, a view.

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

I think I should have probably gone over the dam at the end of the track rather than continue on down the bridlepath - the bridlepath was a touch bumpy and overgrown and I now need to mend a hole in my pannier from a bramble... (never mind, it will only add to the patches already in there and make them look even more 'used' than they already did.)

IMG_0878.JPG

Its a touch overgrown and rough!

At the canal I had one of those insane moments. Every instinct was saying turn left but common sense was saying to me that it should be right. I went right and came across 2 women with bikes sitting on a bench. Time to ask rather than plough on blindly. I'm too tired for major detours right now and have missed the 1st camping option I had... They did indeed confirm I had turned corectly and was now heading for Brecon and after a 5 minute chat with them I set off again to find the planned campsite rather than the bale out option I had missed. Oh and the canal, it is the same one I followed earlier in the tour, the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal and is fabulous for cycling along.

IMG_0879.JPG

I really like these benches...

IMG_0880.JPG

Getting to the campsite proved to be a touch harder than I was hoping for. There were only steps up off the canal to the road which meant unloading the bike, carrying the panniers up and then carrying the bike up the steep steps. Then I had a whole 400 yards to cycle before the campsite and another person who was really interested in my bike.

I am now really tired and ready to drop but the hardest should now be over! now where have I heard that before.

http://www.strava.com/activities/169790318

Last edited:
Top Bottom