My first solo, unsupported, camping tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
had to go off and double check, but yes it is.

haha...did you see a small bridge by a pub about 500yds along road to the East
my parents owned a cottage opposite the pub - left it to me - lived there for 2 years before returning North to find work

fly fished that reservoir many times
and got up to the viewpoint [ your pics 5th up ] by [.....hangs head..:blush:...] 4x4 SWB Land Rover

lovely countryside there

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
haha...did you see a small bridge by a pub about 500yds along road to the East
my parents owned a cottage opposite the pub - left it to me - lived there for 2 years before returning North to find work

fly fished that reservoir many times
and got up to the viewpoint [ your pics 5th up ] by [.....hangs head..:blush:...] 4x4 SWB Land Rover

lovely countryside there
Not sure I did see it. I didn't do the road. I followed the taff trail (off road) all the way from the top, right down the right hand side of the resevoir (if heading north) and then directly onto the canal before coming off the canal 400 yds before the campsite. Tis very nice around there though a touch tough for touring in hot weather :heat:

Unless it was the small bridge that I came over as I dropped onto the canal... this was my route. http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/?pic_id=2004305

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 07 - Monday 21st July 2014
The Baron at Bucknell (80.43km)

I must have been really tired when I got to the campsite last night because in seeking out some shade in which to pitch the tent, I totally failed to notice that I have pitced alongside an emergency light. When I woke at 11pm last night, it was like a lighthouse shining into the tent it was so bright. It did not take long to find itself covered with an abandoned towel that I had seen when I walked to the toilet block. Said towel was also back in its original location soon after 6am so no-one knew! I slept reasonably well and woke to hill mist burning off and blue skies once again. It was a shame life did not go to plan. Once the bike was loaded and I was ready to leave (ahead of the scheduled 8am start) I soon found I had a flat rear tyre. More worryingly I could find no cause whatsoever for the flat, so switched out with the spare innner tube as a precaution. I actually could not get the old inner tube to deflate so I have my suspicions about the cause... (This is only the 2nd flat I have had on this bike in over 10,000 miles of touring and the last one was a piece of metal that would have taken a lorry tyre out!). Life was also not to make matters easier for me with my pump either. I had taken my little Leyzene Road Morph that usually lives on my road bike. I know that it takes 200 strokes on the pump to get those tyres up to 100psi. Something I can just about manage, but today the pump was leaking and not playing fair. It was also getting too hot to hold and unfortuantly the campsite manager (a cyclist) was not around. I ended up inflating the tyre to what I guessed was 20psi (instead of the 65psi I had previously been running at), though it later turned out I had managed to get it to 30psi! (New ring seals have been ordered for the pump now I know the cause of the issue!). Now whilst 30psi was fine of the canal I was doing first thing this morning, it was not so great on the roads and progress was best phrased as slow and hard work and not made any easier by my desire to stay off a certain very busy A road/dual carriageway during the Monday morning rush hour.

IMG_0882.JPG

I have really taken a liking to the Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal.

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

the view from an aqueduct.

I had taken the somewhat interesting decision to risk trying to get to the bike shop in Hay-on-Wye rather than use the one in Brecon because I had worked out that I could save myself several miles cycling and bypass Brecon if I did 1 side of a triangle (the short side) rather than the 2 longer sides... There was also the possibility that the bike shop would not be open until after 10am in Brecon (I don't know if this is accurate or not, but a cyclist I met indicated that she thought it did not open until 10am and certainly all of my local ones don't...) so Hay-on-Wye it was to be via sustrans route 8...

The views were great, the climbing, well some of it was, err close on lethal really. One particular hill was horrendous and even getting enough purchase from my hiking shoes on the tarmac to push my bike up the incline was almost impossible. The strava segment (it was guaranteed to have one) is called "Who knows" which sums it up superbly. You have know idea on where you are, why you are going that way or the purpose of the torture, only that it is happening... It was a touch steep incase you haven't guessed....

IMG_0886.JPG

Any excuse for another breather....

IMG_0887.JPG

And another one....

I finally dropped into a little place called Talgarth and happened across a shop with bread in the window. I needed some for lunch, so propped my bike against the window and walked in and WOW, what a wonderful little shop. It had so much I could have purchased including 2 varieties of almond milk - it was such a shame I didn't need any. It even had tofu and various organic nuts & fruit and.... I was in heaven... When I finally looked up to pay, I found the owner outside looking at my bike! It transpired that he was a keen cyclist, had recognised my bike as being one he had only ever seen in magazines and was out looking at it in awe. We had a long chat about it and its various features (14 speed Rohloff hub, dynamo front hub, twin crown forks, front brakes mounted behind the forks, and so on...) and when I went back into the shop to pay he gave me a free (dairy free) apricot flapjack as a thank you for taking time out to talk to him about the bike and 'show him around' it. It survived for around 15 minutes and died willingly at a bench a mile or so down the road...

IMG_0889.JPG

The view from the bench...

From the bench, I baled on the sustrans route and went back to the A road for a short while before it became a B road and headed off into Hay-on-Wye and cycled straight passed the sign for the bike shop without noticing it. After a little back tracking and flagging down a cyclist (looked like a local and was indeed a local, who promptly stood in the middle of a road junction with me holding up all the traffic and giving me directions) I finally found the bike shop, a touch off the 'beaten track'. I picked up a spare inner tube and asked for air. Once the rear tyre was at 65psi cycling was so much easier!

I headed off towards Whitney-on-Wye, but before reaching there found a bench in the shade and lunch was called for. The toll bridge at Whitney-on-Wye which is lovely is 10p for cyclists and sells coffee/tea. I grabbed a much needed coffee and sat and watched the world go by for a while.

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

The toll bridge itself.

IMG_0896.JPG

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
continued Day 7

Further on, and possibly somewhere around Upper Broxwood, I came across a sign saying "Cherries £2 a punnet". Well if they were on the road I was cycling down.... and they were. There were also blueberries as well. They sell to anyone passing by (as well as to Waitrose as it turns out) and the cherries were delicious - they also did not survive long and ruthlessly massacred when I found a suitable bridge to sit on in the shade before I continued on to climb yet more hills.

IMG_0897.JPG

But I didn't mind climbing these hill, the light was great and I was able to stop as and when I wanted to take as many photos and as I wanted without feeling guilty... I also found a suitable place for a pit stop and whilst relieving myself had my first ripe blackberry of the season. It was oh so delicious and rather hot from the sunshine!

IMG_0899.JPG

2 of the climbs around Kinsham were hard, but doable, and I had time on my hands so I was able to enjoy the Shropshire Hills in some splendid afternoon light. From there it was simply a case of watching the views,

IMG_0901.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

and finally arriving at the pub campsite at the Baron at Bucknell. I had totally failed on the shop front though, so my evening meal was to be a spaghetti omelette rather than the tomato sauce over spaghetti with 2 eggs poached in the tomato sauce... oh and the omelette also had onion and cashew nuts in it... :laugh:

Thankfully the non-electricity pitches were the only ones that had shade, not that it would have mattererd, I was on the only one on the campsite, but that does not bother me. It means it is wonderfully quiet, and I don't need to worry about waking people in the morning.

I did venture into the pub for a drink to take to my tent - yike... soft drinks are so expensive... a pint of fresh orange and lemonade cost me £3.70. It would be cheaper drinking! But when I spoke with Stuart this evening he sounded really down. He is missing me and I think has had a bad day at work and would rather be out with me. It leaves me feeling somewhat guilty, but there is not much I can do about it at the moment sadly.

http://www.strava.com/activities/169790304

Crankarm

Guru
I rode the MBC about 4 years ago from Brecon to Abergavenny. It was a bit rough on some stretches lots of half submerged stones/rocks for which a pair of good strong wheels is advisable, fortunately mine were ok although only 32 spokes. However on the whole it was a joy to ride. Yeah I remember the really narrow path @SNSSO with ridiculously tight switchbacks to try and get around coming off at the Abergavenny end. Mental. Riding in Wales was good. I followed an old Roman road marked on the OS map south of the A40 out of Llandovery toward Brecon which was well worth it Other routes well worth it especially mid Wales are Brecon up to Rhayader then up to Llanidloes, Llyn Clywedog, and the mountain road up and down into Machynlleth.

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Day 08 - Tuesday 22nd July 2014
Ellesmere (79.8km)

I slept well last night being the only person on the campsite and I didn't have to worry about waking anyone else up this morning when the alarm went off at 6am. Luckily it had clouded over during the night so the tent was lovely and cool, but sadly it very quickly burnt off this morning and it was clear it was going to be another hot day and the battle paint was applied long before I left the campsite.

IMG_0914.JPG

the campsite this morning.... the caravan was not occupied.

IMG_0915.JPG

My tent, already in sunshine at 6:30am!
I also knew that this morning was going to be mostly uphill and it was once I actually made it to the big climb of the day.

Along the way...

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

The views were excellent all morning, made more so by a slight navigational error that lead to me descending into a little place called Wentnor. I didn't have to go that way, and didn't want to go that way, but, well there was an oooops moment along the way today and err I balls up. SatNav went straight on when she should have turned left!

Somewhere along the way on this diversion, I did get to see 2 hares sitting in a field which is always good to see, along with 2 grey partridges (and yesterday I saw a female quail with a couple of young chicks).

Still the views made up for it, sadly the descent had several hairpin bends on it and with the state of my brakepads at the moment, I did not dare let the bike run just in case...

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG

Dropping into Wentnor rather than cycling passed it did have one advantage, I got to go passed a shop - time for some juice and watermelon!

(to be continued - 10 picture limit is the cause of the problems... hence most days being 2 posts. nothing more!)

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
(Continued Day 08...)

Then it was time for more climbing and yet more climbing and sadly very little in the way of a view until the start of the descent into Habberly.

IMG_0938.JPG

not a helpful signpost when you are looking for a convenient bush...:blush:

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

A stop for a breather, a phone call and another round of photos...

The descent into Habberly was fun because I caught up a tractor which was pulling hay bales and whilst I was more than happy to sit behind him, he pulled over to allow me to overtake him much to his amusement!

I arrived in Pontesbury before lunch, found a shop, raided it for lunchtime supplies and headed off to find a quiet country lane and a spot of shade for lunch. After lunch and the weather was getting too hot and it was getting harder and harder to continue with any speed. Stops were becoming all too frequent. At Baschurch I ignored the road closed signs (along with loads of vehicle drivers) and headed off down a road that turned out to actually be closed... luckily the pavement was still accessible to pedestrians and I temporarily became one. I also spotted a cooperative supermarket and decided it was time to raid it for evening supplies because the rest of my route did not feature anything big enough to warrant a shop. Sadly this added about 2kg to the weight of my bike, but it was to prove a wise move. I didn't pass any more shops and would not have done without having diverted into Ellesmere later on.

IMG_0944.JPG

From there it became seriously hard work and a slow plod. It was too hot, approaching, if not exceeding 30C and I was very tired. Sadly the campsite had no shade whatsoever and I didn't bother putting up the tent until well after 9pm - it was the only way to keep the tent cool! There was also no breeze to speak of and the shower rooms whilst excellent, were like a sauna. It was actually cooler outside in the sun! I am currently thanking my lucky stars that tomorrow is a much shorter day.

IMG_0947.JPG

What will be the view from my tent, when I get around to putting up the tent, that is...

http://www.strava.com/activities/169790299

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Last day.... :biggrin:
Day 09 – Last Day Wednesday 23rd July
Cuddington (58.1km)

It was cloudy again overnight and first thing this morning, but as with yesterday it had burnt off by 8am and it was another really hot morning. My lie-in was not as long as I had hoped for!
I always knew today was going to be a tough day. Not because of the mileage, but because it was the last day, I am so close to home and I know most of the roads. It made for an odd day as well because normally I would fly along these roads (and in fact came through Ellesmere on my recent 100 miler) and be home inside a couple of hours, but that was not the way it would work out today. It was also going to be tough because as well as being very hot, there was also a very strong headwind today +15mph according to the BBC Weather!

Stuart texted me this morning to say he had made tea last night so that I had something to come home to, (he was going to be late home from work) but sadly this morning, gravity had played a part in its destruction and it was now on the kitchen floor. He had made one of my favourites, chickpea salad which is loaded with cumin, coriander & garlic and a few chickpeas…

After breakfast, the gas cylinder I had with me kindly ran out, thereby saving me the need to carry it home. The remaining portion of spaghetti was also ditched, but I had very little else that I could throw away to save the need to carry it home and actually needed to purchase so bread so I could have lunch, but knowing the area, I know I can leave that until lunchtime. One advantage about being so close to home – I know where the shops are!

Not much else happened really unless you count finding some of the worst road surfaces I have come across so far as ‘something’. Yikes they were bad.

I did come across this house somewhere near to/on the English/Welsh border.

IMG_0948.JPG

And as you can see the general scenery today is limited. If you look really hard you can just make out the Welsh mountains in the background on the photo, but only just and that was what most of today was like. Hot but with no views and little shade either.

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

I caught a female mountain bike commuter up, and after the initial embarrassment that I was being ‘held up’ by her on the flat and downhill, (I pointed out that I would hold her up on any inclines) we had a nice chat for a several miles until our paths diverted. I was by now on roads that are very familiar to me, and no longer needed a map.

IMG_0954.JPG

I did stop off for a pit stop at a place I knew I could hide off the road quite easily, but got that feeling I was being 'watched' when I got back to my bike...

IMG_0955.JPG

At Tattenhall I was able to purchase some bread for lunch and found a shady spot in the park for a leisurely lunch. Then it was a case of wandering slowly onwards and homewards watching the familiar landmarks and counting down the miles.

IMG_0958.JPG

The Whitegate way was especially welcome for a spot of shade from the heat of the day and before long I was home.

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

http://www.strava.com/activities/169790297

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
Nice write up. I guess you are glad to be home in the relative cool out of the heat catching up on ZZzzzzs
definitely catching up on the ZZZZzzzzzz but it is cooler here today...

I have reached the conclusion that the weather played a cruel joke on me/was having fun at my expense. It was cool and rainy before I left, even cool on the morning of day 1.... sunny/hot or at least hot & humid for all of the days I was on the bike down to Ogmore-by-Sea... my day off was cool and cloudy... then it was hot & sunny again for the return journey.... too hot and sunny for this red headed/fair skinned northerner! :laugh: still the photos are nice and we are planning a 'shake down' overnight tour for the weekend of the 9/10th August in preparation for the 15 day tour at the end of next month (30th August)...

Top Bottom