My first Strava KOM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Just won my first Strava KOM! ^_^I had to work hard for it though. It's silly really but I'm quite chuffed. Apologies if the guy I took it from is anyone on here:tongue:
Well done! Make sure you feel good about yourself. The same thing happened to me recently and oh my how I had been working for it! Good on yer :biggrin:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Thread resurrection time!
Heavily wind-assisted of course, but on my ride today I picked up two KOMs, a 2nd and a 5th.
Having never even got near troubling a leaderboard before....

I'm actually more chuffed about the 5th place than the others because it's an actual hill ( albeit a very small one ) whereas the other segments are flatter than a very flat thing.
Anyway - time to go and edit my sig !

Tom B

Guru
This for me is what Strava is all about. If it didn't exist you'd never have pushed yourself that bit further.

Some people push for the KOM some push for average pace, some distance, some climbing and so on.

I once got a Strava KOM on a London street used by thousands of commuters every day.

What Strava doesn't record is that I hit all the lights on green and was drafting a bus for most of it.

:becool:

I'm in the top 15 of about 12000 on one near me.
That was at 4AM on new years eve with an almighty tailwind. But it's all part of the fun.

Twilkes

Guru
I started targeting a KOM at the start of lockdown when the roads were dead and still dark in the evening. Been doing some basic interval training since and finally beat it by 1 second yesterday. Yes there was a tailwind but isn't there always, and I was still pushing round a 50/12 gear. :smile:

Strava is good for this, but I do have to be careful not to go all out on every ride to try and beat my times, because I need easier rest and recovery rides too. Will be interesting to see if this training has improved my all-day endurance, as the longest ride I've done in lockdown has only been 90 minutes.

figbat

Slippery scientist
When I first started Strava I was only competing with myself and was happy to get a top-half time. After several years of simply going out and cycling I now hold two KOMs. The first was an accident - it was on a steep downhill road section that is only really accessible by a MTB or gravel bike. Because it is a dead-end road it is very quiet in terms of traffic - the occasional post van and one of the cars belonging to the farmer at the top. Hence I released the brakes and took a few chance on the unsighted corners that I wouldn't do on a live road. At the bottom is a sharp 90° corner meaning hard braking (once I braked a little late and had to take to the run-off). Anyway, I stayed off the brakes and braked as late as I dared and then carried on with my ride. When I got home I discovered I had KOMed.

The other KOM I cherish more. It is over a rough, gravel-strewn farm track that starts as a slight downward slope then climbs a little, with a few corners along the way and another hard braking finish into a sharp corner - it's one you have to work for, pace yourself and pick a good line. I chased that KOM for 4 years. I was in 2nd or 3rd for all that time but couldn't quite get the extra few seconds until one day the stars aligned, I was feeling good and I was on my new full-sus bike so I went for it; I don't mind admitting my elation on seeing the results when I uploaded at home.

johnblack

Über Member
I took one the other week, wasn't really gunning for it but there you go, it was a bit windy. Got flagged within 24 hours, got unflagged, than flagged again straight away, no idea why other than some people are absolutely desperate to keep their KOM's.

Jimidh

Veteran
Got a few KoMs but lots of top 10s which being in my mid 50s I’m happy about.

Mostly on punchy short climbs.

My son has plenty on our local MTB trails - I can’t catch him on those.

I use KOM segments for interval training so mostly seek out short hills. I started in August 2019 and 11 months later have over 80 KOM's.

Only 4 of my KOM's are over 5km, the longest being 16km. A mix of road and MTB, but probably slightly more road now. At 51, I'm happy to see I can still challenge those a lot younger than me. One of my best segments I don't have the KOM actually, it is for 2nd place on a sprint at the top of an 8km hill where the top 10 - except me, obviously, are all Pro's. Naturally, they will likely not have been trying as hard as me but still, good to see.

Top Bottom