My Firsts:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissyR

I need to get back cycling again...been a bit off what with bad shoulder and damp weather. There's cobwebs starting to grow on my butt and moss on my bike. The little girl I get behind on her trike so I can save my 30% will be missing me so much. And the horse that always seems to stick out its willy as I cycle by will be waiting for me. What's that all about? It's either always got it out or he smells me getting close! Weird

At least its not moss on your butt and cobwebs on your bike! Cause that's just plain nasty.... and hard to shift.

I'm sure you will be back out soon after all you have to entertain our small minds on here with your cycle chat.

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Yesterday, I did a Community 10,000 day (a government initiative) and spend a good few hours on a riverbank, pulling up Himalayan Balsam plants. Strenuous but very therapautic (is that spelled right??). Was so exhausted when I got home, I had to go to the pub rather than on the bike! Today is my late shift and not ready to cycle home in the dark but unless the weather is really REALLY sh*te tomorrow, I WILL GET BACK IN THE SADDLE! Its a week today since my last ride and Im ashamed of myself.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Good work on the balsam bashing! Don't beat yourself up about missing the sesh on the bike, it's good to mix things up a bit.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow :smile:

RichardB

Slightly retro
Today is my late shift and not ready to cycle home in the dark but unless the weather is really REALLY sh*te tomorrow, I WILL GET BACK IN THE SADDLE! Its a week today since my last ride and Im ashamed of myself.
After a change in working hours, I now finish at 2 am on a Saturday morning, rather than 7 am. Instead of my usual 13.3 mile commute on back roads, I am taking a slightly shorter way (with fewer hills) straight up the A40. At that time of night, I see hardly any traffic, and I am kitted out like a Christmas tree anyway. It's actually very pleasant being out on the road at that time and I look forward to it. I've also done the back roads route at that time of night, and it's pretty good too, although I spooked some cows in a field who set off running which, when it was too dark to see them, was a little unnerving. Just make sure you have good lights, and get out there!

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Back in the saddle again today. I knew it was time! Dragged hubby along on my commute to work, not for company (I like cycling alone) but cos I couldn't fit my cardigan in my backpack and wanted him to carry it!

When I got to work the gate to the bike storage area was locked ( safety reasons, things falling off building) and my bike lock was behind the gates. No way was I leaving my bike unchained! So I was ready for a fight on my hands but the security guy must not have wanted a row with a curvy lady yielding a bike pump and allowed me to store the bike next to reception where it had personal security protection all day, like The Queen!

After Mondays Himalayan balsam pulling and this mornings cycling, legs were like rubber and I hobbled to my desk. Didn't even get sat down when the bomb alarm went off! Had to walk down 8 flights of stairs and then part of the way back up again (couldn't manage the full 8 floors back up). Needed a sleep by lunchtime but like a Trojan, I made it through.

Cycled home with my friend who has been of through the school hols so not cycled with her yet. She knew a shorter way and we knocked over a mile off the journey. Was I glad of that? On the last leg home, I (almost literally) bumped into a friend of hubby who didn't know I was cycling and thought it hilarious. There's loads of Dave's who drink in the local so they all have nicknames. This guy was Dave the Farmer who has never been a farmer but once lived in the countryside. My hubby is Dave the Bike as he is cycling crazy (being his wife I'm sadly Chris the Bike..............). There's Dave the Dogger........he grooms dogs...... aka Dave the Scarf cos he always wears one in the winter. Anyway, I digress......The Farmer couldn't believe I was cycling

When I got off the Bike at home, I promptly went over on my ankle and landed on my ass in the street....how uncool was that? Don't even fall off my bike, much cooler don't u think?​

dawn72

I'm so glad that Dave the dogger grooms dogs! A friend once turned down my lunch invitation as she was "going dogging in the park with her sister". I had to point out to her (through my laughter) that walking her dog in the park was not called "dogging"

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Well done Pope. Keep it up u r doing great.

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Been neglecting my thread a little lately but here I am, back with another update. Did a lovely leisurely ride this morning on my own, how I prefer it (does this make me a miserable cow?????) . It was a 'photo shoot' really but I wanted to go where the car couldn't so combined the 2 hobbies together. My photography has been taking a back seat of late.

I'm looking at sculpture and art around the area (very cultural for me) and some arent accessible by car so its a great chance to bag up the camera in my backpack and set off in the saddle. I haven't dared cycle with camera in back pack yet in case I fall off and smash it but decided it was time........Another first. I have taken it in a pannier once but not about my person till now. Had it wrapped in a massive towel as protection!!!!!!

Today I came across aliens from Mars, giant nuts and bolts, doors without rooms, a metal tree, a chimney stack rising out of the ground and a sculptured bike leaning against a gate. All this on one stretch of the river Wear.

I passed a bloke up this knees in mud on the riverbank rummaging around up to his elbows for who knows what....he stared at me with my camera on a bike like I was weird!

Anyway...here's some updated stats:

Bum - doesn't hurt at all anymore. What was all the fuss about?
Total miles to date - Only 260.......need to bump THAT up a bit more
Lady bits - still get quite numb!
Dogs - only been chased the once
Falls - just the one 'slight tipple over to one side and finding the Bike was riding me
Cars - still pip at me
White vans - still have very rude, impatient drivers
Hills - what hills?

Pope

Regular
Me and the missus had a couple of firsts this weekend:

We went on our first ride on a canal, from near the Windmill Pub in Halifax to Sowerby Bridge where we had some dinner (lunch for you Southerners). We then rode onto Hebden Bridge and had a drink there.

Unfortunately, it was at Hebden Bridge where our other first occurred, her front tyre got a puncture...In the most unusual of ways. When having the drink, we laid down our bikes on top of each other, as some other cyclists had done. After the drink, I picked up my bike but her front tyre valve got caught and ended up snapping off...deflating the tyre instantly.

Neither of us could get the tyre off the wheel to replace the inner tube. Other cyclists there tried but struggled like hell and eventually one bloke managed to get the wheel off but then when he tried to pump up the new inner tube with our mini pump, he couldn't get it to work. So we then walked to a local bike shop, which was closed because of bloody Sunday hours. So we had to ring her dad to take her and her bike back home and I had to ride back to my car on my own.

OP
OP
Cannondale Lady

Cannondale Lady

Me and the missus had a couple of firsts this weekend:

We went on our first ride on a canal, from near the Windmill Pub in Halifax to Sowerby Bridge where we had some dinner (lunch for you Southerners). We then rode onto Hebden Bridge and had a drink there.

Unfortunately, it was at Hebden Bridge where our other first occurred, her front tyre got a puncture...In the most unusual of ways. When having the drink, we laid down our bikes on top of each other, as some other cyclists had done. After the drink, I picked up my bike but her front tyre valve got caught and ended up snapping off...deflating the tyre instantly.

Neither of us could get the tyre off the wheel to replace the inner tube. Other cyclists there tried but struggled like hell and eventually one bloke managed to get the wheel off but then when he tried to pump up the new inner tube with our mini pump, he couldn't get it to work. So we then walked to a local bike shop, which was closed because of bloody Sunday hours. So we had to ring her dad to take her and her bike back home and I had to ride back to my car on my own.

Aw.....not a good ride then.

Top Bottom