My Garmin switched itself off mid ride. Any ideas why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aka "the bleep of death"

Used to get it a lot on steep climbs so I've changed the autopause metrics and now it feels like I'm faster
Solved by a speed sensor and now I don't have to yell, "I'm still moving!"

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Keep it simple pale rider, get an etrex20/x
You no more need a gps with a "touring" brand sold at a premium than you need rapha touring shorts.

I like the idea of following me on a colour map, preferably an OS Landranger.

Gadgets that do that, including national coverage of Landranger maps, cost about £400.

If I thought such a device would work in a seamless manner I might be tempted.

This OS branded sale bundle at £299 looked promising, but it's out of stock.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/gps/cycling/os-trail-bike-gps.html

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Gadgets that do that, including national coverage of Landranger maps, cost about £400.

Memory Map have just released the OS Landranger map of GB for £50 (download version). It comes with a licence for 5 devices so I have it on 2 phones, 2 laptops and 1 tablet. (Only legal to use one at a time, so you should NOT hand map-enabled devices out to other people!)

Dedicated GPS devices are a better bet than phones for use on the bike, but it might be a low cost option to use MM on a phone? (If you don't have a suitable phone then I'm sure you could find something on eBay for less than £50.)

My main phone isn't bright enough to use in sunlight but I think this tiny old one might be...

Memory Map on Xperia Ray.jpg

I am toying with carrying it to use alongside my main GPS. I have stuck velcro to the back of it and am making a little bar mount to attach it to. I'd need to use a battery pack with it and I'd have to put it in a transparent waterproof enclosure if there was any chance of rain.

You do have a map on the 20x pale rider.

It's an open streetmap for free I use openfietsmap which is updated once a year but others are more frequent.

I'm a great fan of OS mapping but in truth on a bar mounted GPS I much much prefer one of the openstreetmap flavours.

Covers as much as of the world as you might want for free. And gets better all the time.

Graphically far clearer than OS on a bar-mounted GPS I think.

The Etrex 20x with opensteetmaps IS essentially seamless/trouble free.

The odd switch off is no problem - hell there's far worse techstuff and I imagine many many folks type into this forum on wobbly tech.

edit - here you are pale rider.

http://www.openfietsmap.nl/

Been using it for years all over the place.

Other Openstreetmaps available.

And my excellent OSMandplus on the android tab (works offline) is an ideal companion and also uses a variant of openstreetmaps.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

I have a Garmin Oregon with OS mapping. It's very nice. I just checked and you are right they cost about £400 now.

The OS maps are - IMO - better than the OSM ones but you have to pay. (I'm the opposite of @Blue Hills on that point)

Not sure what you mean by "seamless".

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a Garmin Oregon with OS mapping. It's very nice. I just checked and you are right they cost about £400 now.

The OS maps are - IMO - better than the OSM ones but you have to pay. (I'm the opposite of @Blue Hills on that point)

Not sure what you mean by "seamless".
I do like paper OS maps, but one of things that I like about my digital OS maps is that they literally are 'seamless' - no having to switch between separate maps. I used to live in Hebden Bridge, which is towards corners of 4 Landranger maps. I can just keep scrolling my digital map until I come to the fringes of the British Isles. I'm not sure why NI doesn't feature though? Ah, here is the reason ...

Wikipedia article said:
The Ordnance Surveys of Northern Ireland, Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland share a common heritage: the British Ordnance Survey (OS) ceased to map Ireland just before the creation of the Irish Free State in 1922 (the Partition of Ireland having already taken place in May 1921 with the creation of Northern Ireland). The new Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland (OSNI) officially came into existence on 1 January 1922, while the new Ordnance Survey of Ireland (OSI) came into being slightly later, on 1 April 1922.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Because it's a Garmin and not a Wahoo.

I like your posts Steve but that one and some time on here and another place does I am afraid rather give me the idea that Wahoo owners have signed up to some particularly boring cult.

The first rule of which is to chant wahoo wahoo at the very mention of the term gps.

I’m in. I love the idea of being in a cult. Do we sacrifice Garmin owners every full moon? And do they have to be virgins? Lots of them are you know.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I like your posts Steve but that one and some time on here and another place does I am afraid rather give me the idea that Wahoo owners have signed up to some particularly boring cult.

The first rule of which is to chant wahoo wahoo at the very mention of the term gps.

I have 3 garmins in my draw. There is a reason I joined the Wahoo Cult.

mangid

Guru
I had a Garmin 810 which would do that, one of the posts for the screws had a crack in it, and some dampness had got in. It might be worth taking it apart and checking for corrosion on the board. I scrapped the corrosion away, put grease in the posts, and taped over the screw holes. Once reassembled, it mostly behaved after that, but would still have bad periods.

The crack might have come about form the unit being dropped, or maybe it was always there.

Bit of a glutton for punishment. I'm on my 3rd Garmin now, an 830. The last one, a 1000, simply disintegrated and the battery was lasting maybe 5 hours (not even a full ride).

I have and edge touring, which I don’t use for many rides anymore. It was forever turning off for no discernible reason, part way through a ride. Nine times out of ten, that would lead to a corrupted ride file, and it wouldn’t then sync / download the ride. The Edge 1030 that I use most of the time now, hasn’t yet let me down. Sometimes the flakeyness of the edge touring, was due to the internal battery getting jolted, but not always. Sometimes there was no rhyme or reason for it.

Top Bottom