My Garmin switched itself off mid ride. Any ideas why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
They could certainly boost the speed of the processor in the etrex 20/30x series.
Unless I am mistaken, the wahoo bolt, diminuitive featherweight thing that it is, has no onscreen map?
It does. From https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/wahoo-elemnt-bolt-in-depth-review.html
GOPR5810.jpg

I've got the larger Elemnt, I find the maps really hard to follow, seems to be constantly upside down despite fiddling with the settings. So I've not used much and did prefer the format of the Garmin maps. Probably just me needing to get used to the different style

I've had problems with it not starting properly or freezing occasionally too. My 800 wasn't problematic other than connecting to a laptop. I changed because I wanted something a bit bigger, with Bluetooth upload and download and it was cheaper than the 1000 series Garmin. If it dies or I fancy a change, I'd probably go back to a 1000 series Garmin if cost wasn't too ridiculous

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
An Etrex weighs 140g. Bike specific GPS units units come in at around 60g or thereabouts up to about 100g. Do you really consider an 80g difference a problem?

This from someone who recommends Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres that weigh the best part of a kilo each to someone struggling for speed.

I think your brand loyalties are getting the better of you.

Having spent years of several models of Garmins going wrong on a regular basis to fonding a Wahoo Bolt that never goes wrong. Its not about brand loyalty. I dont care if Kellogs make it. It is all about using a unit that you can have confidence in all the time. I doubt if there is a Garmin user on here who has not had problems with their unit, turning off or not loading . I dont have those problems with the Wahoo. Its the only reason I use it.

As for the tyres. I thought the OP wanted puncture proof tyres and that is why I suggested Marathon Plus. I dont use them but have in the past and know that they are bomb proof.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It does. From https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/wahoo-elemnt-bolt-in-depth-review.html
View attachment 482418

I've got the larger Elemnt, I find the maps really hard to follow, seems to be constantly upside down despite fiddling with the settings. So I've not used much and did prefer the format of the Garmin maps. Probably just me needing to get used to the different style

I've had problems with it not starting properly or freezing occasionally too. My 800 wasn't problematic other than connecting to a laptop. I changed because I wanted something a bit bigger, with Bluetooth upload and download and it was cheaper than the 1000 series Garmin. If it dies or I fancy a change, I'd probably go back to a 1000 series Garmin if cost wasn't too ridiculous

In reality you could quite easily cover the map up and navigate perfectly well just using the Leds and beeps from the unit.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Maybe if there aren’t many turnings or crossroads. I usually need navigation in built up areas too
Well it worked for me in places like Sienna and Florence and there are lots of turnings and little alleys there. You just need to be familiar with how the unit operates. I have the Bolt which is smaller than the Elemnt but I still have no problem following the map. If you take a wrong turn all the flashing lights and beeps go off in a few metres to let you know.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well it worked for me in places like Sienna and Florence and there are lots of turnings and little alleys there. You just need to be familiar with how the unit operates. I have the Bolt which is smaller than the Elemnt but I still have no problem following the map. If you take a wrong turn all the flashing lights and beeps go off in a few metres to let you know.
Yes but it doesn’t tell you where you should have gone very clearly. I’m not very good with the arrows and sketchy map. This is likely the way my brain (doesn’t) work not the unit. The on the fly isn’t great either. Tried to send me down a muddy hidden bridle path when I’d asked for road instructions (there were no other turnings)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes but it doesn’t tell you where you should have gone very clearly. I’m not very good with the arrows and sketchy map. This is likely the way my brain (doesn’t) work not the unit. The on the fly isn’t great either. Tried to send me down a muddy hidden bridle path when I’d asked for road instructions (there were no other turnings)
I think it is something you need to practice to get right. It took me a short time to get the hang of it, but it is second nature now.

I use Komoot on the fly and you are right, it can lead you along some paths that are not really suitable. Having said that it has not sent me along a path that I cannot ride with 28C tyres quite easily.

A friend of mine used komoot to plan a route from his house in Holland to my house in Denmark. It was 400+km and downloaded within seconds. He said in the entire journey there was about 1km he would not have chosen to ride. But was quite rideable.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it is something you need to practice to get right. It took me a short time to get the hang of it, but it is second nature now.
That’s all well and good but Garmins are more intuitive if just wanting directions from a-b so that is for me a weakness of the Wahoo. My brain doesn’t really do route planning, I have to rely on others for that

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That’s all well and good but Garmins are more intuitive if just wanting directions from a-b so that is for me a weakness of the Wahoo. My brain doesn’t really do route planning, I have to rely on others for that

This is what Wahoo Roam is supposed to sort out, but doesnt. Maybe the next version.

vickster

Legendary Member
This is what Wahoo Roam is supposed to sort out, but doesnt. Maybe the next version.
I'm not changing again, if I do it'll be for a Garmin with pretty coloured maps :girl:

I rarely ride anywhere on my own that I'm not familiar with nowadays anyhow so it's not much of an issue. Just saying that the Wahoo is not perfection (and the OP may not want to spend £200 on one). I record all my rides on 2 devices so if one crashes, I still have a record

vickster

Legendary Member
Haven’t used it for serious navigation yet, but I am really pleased with the Edge 830. It’s getting closer to a car satnav. I.e. You can type a town in and it will navigate a route there.
My 800 was similar. Assume it uploads directly to Strava when on wifi?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My etrex always did it and I tried all sorts of fixes. Cured the problem by wrapping an elastic band or preferably a hair bobble around the mount where it is attached to the unit. It must cure the vibration and rocking on the mount. Never a problem since.
Oh, I forgot - the other fix I did was to stick a strip of duct tape on the inside of the Etrex mount where the base of the GPS rests. The Etrex always rattled on bumpy roads, which didn't help reliability, and was also extremely irritating. The securely mounted Etrex is quiet AND reliable!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Oh, I forgot - the other fix I did was to stick a strip of duct tape on the inside of the Etrex mount where the base of the GPS rests. The Etrex always rattled on bumpy roads, which didn't help reliability, and was also extremely irritating. The securely mounted Etrex is quiet AND reliable!
My Oregon uses the same style mount as an Etrex. And I too have stuck duc[k|t] tape on it.

Top Bottom