My Garmin switched itself off mid ride. Any ideas why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes. Usually uploaded before I even put the bike in the shed. Very quick.
I remember the first time that happened with my Oregon. I got a push notification "your ride is ready to view". I was gobsmacked. I was unaware it could do that. I'd only paired my phone with it so I could get text and call notifications.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got the larger Elemnt, I find the maps really hard to follow, seems to be constantly upside down despite fiddling with the settings.
I could mentally flip a map but I wouldn't want to have to when negotiating junctions in traffic. My Etrex doesn't have maps but I always have it set to auto-rotate so I am riding 'up the screen'. I just read a review of the Bolt and it said that there was a similar option to get the maps to auto-rotate. Doesn't its big brother (sister? :whistle:) do the same thing?

PS I just found this firmware update page and there is a mention of a fix for a bug which stopped auto-rotate working at different zoom levels. It is also obvious from that page that Wahoo devices have plenty of problems initially, but perhaps they are better at fixing them than Garmin are at fixing theirs?

vickster

Legendary Member
I could mentally flip a map but I wouldn't want to have to when negotiating junctions in traffic. My Etrex doesn't have maps but I always have it set to auto-rotate so I am riding 'up the screen'. I just read a review of the Bolt and it said that there was a similar option to get the maps to auto-rotate. Doesn't its big brother (sister? :whistle:) do the same thing?

PS I just found this firmware update page and there is a mention of a fix for a bug which stopped auto-rotate working at different zoom levels. It is also obvious from that page that Wahoo devices have plenty of problems initially, but perhaps they are better at fixing them than Garmin are at fixing theirs?
Possibly it does. I can’t recall. (Mapping) gadgets often don’t really compute with me, so needs to be simple (I’m limited in sense of direction and very poor at visualising space/locations....I can even struggle following directions on my phone :blush: )

geocycle

Legendary Member
I used a Garmin edge touring for a few years and have also had a 200. The GET was fine as long as you didn’t rely on its routing. I was also riding longer rides than it’s battery would allow so needed to move on. I’ve had a wahoo element bolt for the last year. It’s a fantastic piece of kit and has worked perfectly for me. I’d completely recommend it to most users. I hear the new Garmins eg 830s and 1030s are good but are at a different price point to the element. Conversely the element roam seems to have issues according to reviews. So, I think we need model v model comparison rather than Garmin v Wahoo.

D

Deleted member 26715

My Edge 800 has errored twice in the last 3 weeks after 6 years of faultless use, it just stops registering the distance, the other functions speed, cadence, time etc. keep working but the distance doesn't increase then after a period of time it displays an Auto Power off message. Can't remember any incident 3 weeks ago but last night it happened when I hit a wood step hidden in undergrowth & stopped dead & nearly when over the handlebars, but didn't notice for the next 4 miles. Going to see if there is a factory reset function.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You can have an option on the Wahoo Elemnt for the route to always appear in front of you. In other words it autorotates. Or you can set it so the map’s northings are always at the top of the device.

Our brains work differently. I can look at an OS map with contour lines and ‘see’ the topography of the land. When I played golf I could ‘see’ the line of travel the ball would take to the hole on a putting green. I can also ‘see’ shapes and lines when I am doing topiary and hedge work.

I am obviously some sort of wizard and my talents have been wasted for 45 years. Time for a career change. Move over Harry Potter.

D

Deleted member 26715

Should my 800 decide to go AWOL again it will be retired, what are the replacement options, I do not want a unit that does mapping, it's a complete waste of time imho, the screen is too small for me to see whilst riding. I just want a unit that has GPS, to log the ride, speed, cadence, HR would be nice but not essential (as I rarely bother wearing it), elevation,

It does. From https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/wahoo-elemnt-bolt-in-depth-review.html
View attachment 482418

I've got the larger Elemnt, I find the maps really hard to follow, seems to be constantly upside down despite fiddling with the settings. So I've not used much and did prefer the format of the Garmin maps. Probably just me needing to get used to the different style

I've had problems with it not starting properly or freezing occasionally too. My 800 wasn't problematic other than connecting to a laptop. I changed because I wanted something a bit bigger, with Bluetooth upload and download and it was cheaper than the 1000 series Garmin. If it dies or I fancy a change, I'd probably go back to a 1000 series Garmin if cost wasn't too ridiculous
Cripes - that's the map?
Would be OK if it was leading you on a track across a desert.
I like way more detail than that, access to all openstreetmaps stuff, POIs etc - often when paused on a long ride I will check the Garmin to see if those wonderful OSM folk have logged any nearby interesting historical or odd stuff - it's amazing the stuff you discover that you would otherwise ride straight past.
And what's wrong with colour?

You can also very easily see cycle routes highlighted in colour which means that if you want to use them a lot (I only do moderately) you don't even need any signs - particularly useful in places/countries where the routes are somewhat theoretical/the budget hasn't quite stretched to signage.
Very easy to put your own POIs in - amongst other stuff mine has all the spoons in the country.

I think the b&w works better in bright light maybe but you’d need to ask Wahoo
ta for the reply vickster but I'll pass on asking them - from some of the posts I see on the matter I think it might involve sitting crosslegged, closing my eyes, and humming to heaven for the mighty word to descend.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cripes - that's the map?
Would be OK if it was leading you on a track across a desert.
I like way more detail than that, access to all openstreetmaps stuff, POIs etc - often when paused on a long ride I will check the Garmin to see if those wonderful OSM folk have logged any nearby interesting historical or odd stuff - it's amazing the stuff you discover that you would otherwise ride straight past.
And what's wrong with colour?
I have been happily navigating for 13 years without any map at all, just following a grey line on a blank screen, so that Wahoo map would seem the height of luxury for me!

What's wrong with colour is that colour screens tend to use much more battery power and be much harder to read in bright sunlight.

I have a more sophisticated version of the old Etrex which has the OSM map of GB and a colour screen. I gave up on it after one sunny ride when I was having to stop, take off my sunglasses and shade the screen with my hands to be able to read it.

I realise it's possible Colin but I wouldn't want to - I like to know what's around me.

The battery power isn't a great issue on the etrex as it's, er, heavier, has quite a substantial battery - easily switched over so I always run its batteries to the bottom before replacing.

Yes very bright sunlight can be an issue but the display can be adjusted - it's not a critical issue I find.

(especially in y/our parts :smile: )

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You can have an option on the Wahoo Elemnt for the route to always appear in front of you. In other words it autorotates. Or you can set it so the map’s northings are always at the top of the device.

Our brains work differently. I can look at an OS map with contour lines and ‘see’ the topography of the land. When I played golf I could ‘see’ the line of travel the ball would take to the hole on a putting green. I can also ‘see’ shapes and lines when I am doing topiary and hedge work.

I am obviously some sort of wizard and my talents have been wasted for 45 years. Time for a career change. Move over Harry Potter.

Ah but then you'll get sorry mate I didn't see you in your invisibility cloak....

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I struggle with my Wahoo Elemnt, I need to get some firmware updates but they never download, I believe the security on my router is making it difficult but I don't have the will to try to figure it out..

Top Bottom